Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2022, 05:35 AM   #1
Mickyb
Mickyb began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Using Docker and viewing on Browser

Hi guys,
I am new to the thread so apologies if I am posting in the wrong thread.

I have a synology NAS and am trying to get Calibre running on Docker to manage my books.

Im pretty sure I have installed everything as per the instructions but when I try to access it via the web browser, even though it doesn't fail. All I can see is a white background with a black dot (when clicked, it displays a keyboard, filing cabinet and full page option).

There is nothing else. I can right click on the page though and then get 3 options: Calibre GUI, xterm and Reload OB. Only xterm does anything at all, it brings up a terminal window.

I know I am close and also know Im doing something wrong but does anyone have any ideas please
Mickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:40 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only use the NAS to store a backup of the Calibre Library.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
Mickyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Only use the NAS to store a backup of the Calibre Library.
Thanks for responding. All my books are on the NAS, I thought I could install the Calibre server so everyone in the house can access from a single place.

Am I missing something really obvious
Old 10-22-2022, 11:29 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There are folk who run the content server on a NAS.

The prohibition is using a NAS (or any network share) in a client (PC)-server configuration. There is a LOT of file system stuff going on when certain tasks are done. They need to remain in lockstep, which can't be guaranteed on a desktop app with files on a network. bad things can happen to your (Library) data

Only ONE Calibre session (the server is a session and can have multiple clients) can use a Library at a time.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
Mickyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There are folk who run the content server on a NAS.

The prohibition is using a NAS (or any network share) in a client (PC)-server configuration. There is a LOT of file system stuff going on when certain tasks are done. They need to remain in lockstep, which can't be guaranteed on a desktop app with files on a network. bad things can happen to your (Library) data

Only ONE Calibre session (the server is a session and can have multiple clients) can use a Library at a time.
Ha, thanks for the explanation.... it sounds like I am doing things all wrong then. I really wanted the ability to haver all my books at home and download them to the ipad when needed. Most are technical books for work so being able to get the book I need when out on a job would be perfect.

I currently have a convoluted way of carrying all the books around with me on an external drive.

I need to find another solution then. Thanks for your pointers though
Advert
Old 10-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyb View Post
Ha, thanks for the explanation.... it sounds like I am doing things all wrong then. I really wanted the ability to haver all my books at home and download them to the ipad when needed. Most are technical books for work so being able to get the book I need when out on a job would be perfect.

I currently have a convoluted way of carrying all the books around with me on an external drive.

I need to find another solution then. Thanks for your pointers though
Not wrong. The NAS as a Calibre WEB Server is viable. I just can't tell you how to set that up (I need a dummies guide.

You can NOT run Calibre Desktop with the files on the NAS.
You can Mirror your Desktop Library TO (one way only) the NAS

I also have a Synology NAS, that I keep my backups on. I really need a Dummies guide as I can't even get the Media server part to serve me my music. I can see the server-files using the file system on various device. way slow on a fast network )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can NOT run Calibre Desktop with the files on the NAS.
You can Mirror your Desktop Library TO (one way only) the NAS
You should be able to run calibre desktop on the NAS with an appropriate remote desktop client for your setup. That puts everything on the NAS, which avoids the network file system problems. I don't know if it would actually usable, and can't describe how to set it up.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
Mickyb

Thanks all, I really appreciate your advice. I will have a look at the options

Tags
browser, calibre, docker, synology