Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2023, 04:30 AM   #586
nem_mil
nem_mil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Boox Note, Onyx Boox Nova Air
Is there any tutorial on how to modify a font by making it darker or adding weight?
I don't seem to find any on this thread, and I would really like to give it a try.

KoboifyFonts does not work on my computer or I don't seem to be able to start it, so I think I just might use FontForge manually, I just need some guidance.

Thanks!
nem_mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:03 AM   #587
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by nem_mil View Post
Is there any tutorial on how to modify a font by making it darker or adding weight?
I don't seem to find any on this thread, and I would really like to give it a try.

KoboifyFonts does not work on my computer or I don't seem to be able to start it, so I think I just might use FontForge manually, I just need some guidance.

Thanks!
You can do it directly on the Kobo device in the advanced font settings menu (Aa button when reading a book). if you have a recent firmware you'll be able to do that also for side-loaded fonts.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2023, 04:29 AM   #588
nem_mil

I wanted the font to be darker than what the advanced option on kobo allows... in the end, I tried using a "medium" font type and changed its metadata so it functions as a "regular" font type, which works perfectly.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:40 AM   #589
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
New versions of ChareInk based on CharisSIL 6 has been posted in the first post of this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:49 AM   #590
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
New versions of ChareInk based on CharisSIL 6 has been posted in the first post of this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
Thank you for this! Any chance for a weight added variant like the previous version?
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2023, 07:53 AM   #591
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Thank you for this! Any chance for a weight added variant like the previous version?
There will be a weight added version. I've just not yet gotten around to making such yet. I'm only going to be doing only the hinted version for this.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:35 PM   #592
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi!

Do you know where can I get the Minion Pro and Lexia Dama fonts? I see that both font are available on the Adobe site but only to add to your Adobe products via subscription.

Also, do you know if there is a open source version of Baskerville?

Thank you!

Last edited by PunkyKoopa; 02-26-2023 at 05:44 PM.
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:30 AM   #593
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
for Baskerville: https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Li...xt_type=custom

Regular
Italic
Bold

No BoldItalic
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #594
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
Do you know where can I get the Minion Pro and Lexia Dama fonts?
For me, Minion Pro came with Adobe's own applications. In the past, I have gotten it through Adobe Digital Editions and Acrobat Reader. You might need to find an older install if the newest ones no longer include that font.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:04 PM   #595
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
Hi!

Do you know where can I get the Minion Pro and Lexia Dama fonts? I see that both font are available on the Adobe site but only to add to your Adobe products via subscription.

Also, do you know if there is a open source version of Baskerville?

Thank you!
Check in your ePub. I've seen Minion Pro used as an embedded font. So you'd be able to extract it from the ePub.

As for Lexia Dama, I found a version at https://fontsgeek.com/lexia-dama-font
Old 06-21-2023, 04:35 AM   #596
nem_mil

I hope I am posting this question in the right thread; I couldn't find a more suitable one.

Anyhow...
Recently, I've started using Kobo Nickel font and I have grown accustomed to it; I especially like the space between each letter and how spread out the text is. I got used to it to the extent that all other fonts seem overly dense now.

However, Kobo Nickel does not support Cyrillic text (which I read sometimes), and neither do all the similar fonts that I have found: Archer, Zilla Slab, Sanchez, and Josefin Slab.

I would be very glad if anyone has a suggestion for a similar slab font that supports the Cyrillic characters. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2023, 11:15 AM   #597
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you taken a look at Bookerly?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:33 PM   #598
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Eye strain.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:49 AM   #599
nem_mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes, it's among the better ones in my opinion and it is one of the few that offers country-specific Cyrillic characters (Serbian in my case) instead of just a plain set (usually Russian).

However, Bookerly Cyrillic just doesn't render well on Kobo for some reason. I notice it is quite uncomfortable to read in comparison to a text in the Latin alphabet. And this is my experience with the majority of fonts that contain both sets.

I would say that Caecilia and Kazimir Text are the only ones that I find acceptable, but still not great or equal to my experience of reading Latin text. I don't know if it's Kobo not being optimized for text in Cyrillic or if I just need to get accustomed to it after reading Latin text for a long time.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:32 AM   #600
Duke5127
Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
Thanks, you are right. I deleted it, and will upload again when i change font name.
Have you changed the font name yet? Also, you can modify the fonts in FontForge correct?
Duke5127 is offline   Reply With Quote