Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #31
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
People always make to big a deal out of this.

If you want an ereader that gives you a good experience, buy a Kobo or a Kindle. Yes, they are tied to stores. But you can sideload books to them easily. Being linked to a store is not the same as being required to purchase from that store. It is easy to convert book formats on your computer before sending them to your reader.

Since library books seem to be important, see if Kindle has access to libraries (they only have access in the US) or Kobo (they can access libraries in multiple countries, but not every country).
Kobo and Kindle don't support a lot of things. They mention Scribd specifically which isn't usable on either of those. Yes, you can convert a lot of titles, but there's also a lot of services and stores that require some app and no one has bothered to figure out how to crack the DRM on it rendering it unusable on a Kobo or Kindle.

Cara2, you may also want to take a look at the Boyue Likebook P6 and P78 in addition to the Boox line. They also run Android and are a little cheaper than the Boox devices with a bit worse specs.

And for that old post wondering why 6" was chosen as the default eReader size? That comes from the Sony Librie, the first eInk eReader and only released in Japan. 6" is pretty similar to the A6 size typical of Japanese paperbacks.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:07 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Kobo and Kindle don't support a lot of things. They mention Scribd specifically which isn't usable on either of those. Yes, you can convert a lot of titles, but there's also a lot of services and stores that require some app and no one has bothered to figure out how to crack the DRM on it rendering it unusable on a Kobo or Kindle.

Cara2, you may also want to take a look at the Boyue Likebook P6 and P78 in addition to the Boox line. They also run Android and are a little cheaper than the Boox devices with a bit worse specs.

And for that old post wondering why 6" was chosen as the default eReader size? That comes from the Sony Librie, the first eInk eReader and only released in Japan. 6" is pretty similar to the A6 size typical of Japanese paperbacks.
Most people on MR will not use a site that requires a purpose built app to read eBooks. I agree with that 100%. There are plenty of eBooks that can be had that do not require a special app. And with Calibre, these eBooks can be converted to the format needed.

If the OP is outside of the US and has Overdrive access, then a Kobo is the best choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most people on MR will not use a site that requires a purpose built app to read eBooks.
I thought Scribd was pretty popular here. I myself am a heavy user of Hoopla, which also requires a purpose-built app. In any case, with a subscription service I don’t see how you can get around a purpose built app without effectively stealing the books; much depends on how the rights’ holders get paid, as with KU.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:26 PM   #34
Maxwell Winshire
Maxwell Winshire began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have had several ereaders. The Kobo Libra is lovely, waterproof, and has two buttons and auto rotates, but no external memory. You can use Calibre to convert all your files into Kepub, otherwise it will read epubs but not give you progress data. I also loved the Pocketbook Inkpad 3, but the screen is VERY sensitive to damage, and mine bust in less than 3 months. But the quality of the reading is the best, if you really look after it carefully like a fragile flower. After much research I settled on likebook mars which has android operating system. It isn't perfect because the inbuilt operating system is a little clunky, but in theory, you could replace it. Does the job with external storage very nicely. I don't recommend any of the kindles, ironic because my new book, 'Katy's Loss', is only available on Kindle, unless you don't mind being tied in to Amazon for books. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Maxwell Winshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Winshire View Post
I have had several ereaders. The Kobo Libra is lovely, waterproof, and has two buttons and auto rotates, but no external memory. You can use Calibre to convert all your files into Kepub, otherwise it will read epubs but not give you progress data. I also loved the Pocketbook Inkpad 3, but the screen is VERY sensitive to damage, and mine bust in less than 3 months. But the quality of the reading is the best, if you really look after it carefully like a fragile flower. After much research I settled on likebook mars which has android operating system. It isn't perfect because the inbuilt operating system is a little clunky, but in theory, you could replace it. Does the job with external storage very nicely. I don't recommend any of the kindles, ironic because my new book, 'Katy's Loss', is only available on Kindle, unless you don't mind being tied in to Amazon for books. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Most Readers use the same sort of glass backed screen. So the Pockebook is no less fragile then say the Kobo Libra 2. Both screen can be broken. It's just bad luck that the Pocketbook screen broke so soon after getting it.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most Readers use the same sort of glass backed screen. So the Pockebook is no less fragile then say the Kobo Libra 2. Both screen can be broken. It's just bad luck that the Pocketbook screen broke so soon after getting it.
The construction of the casing (rigidity, display isolation, etc.) also affect fragility.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:02 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The construction of the casing (rigidity, display isolation, etc.) also affect fragility.
Yes, newer/many Kobos have a good cast alloy backplate supporting the entire screen. I remember an iRiver Story Cover where the screen failed. The chassis had a cut-out for the Li-Poly cell and they almost all expand with age. The cell cracked the screen substrate. Probably plastic substrates are for cheapness and one might not have survived that; the plastic substrates & screens for truly flexible designs may even be a different design. I've seen photos & videos for maybe over 10 years and no actual retail products. I'd not be convinced on the long term life of a plastic substrate; certainly OLED plastic panels are shorter life than glass substrate OLED.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There were many reports on MR of the Cybook Gen 3 screen breaking. That was a disaster.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #39
Silentwind96
Silentwind96 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8"
I personally have the Barnes and Noble Glowlight Plus 7.8" reader. It has served me well over the years. I chose Barnes and Noble because I enjoy going into a physical bookstore, browsing the wares and ultimately purchasing my book on my ereader. If you own a Nook, they allow you to read their books while in store provided you are connected to their wifi.
Silentwind96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #40
Aktive
Enthusiast
Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle paperwhite 2018, Kindle 4
One of Onyx's products would be good.
Like Onyx Boox Page.

Because it can run apps on the google play store. Which means you can read almost anything. And youre not limited to one store.
Aktive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:17 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktive View Post
One of Onyx's products would be good.
Like Onyx Boox Page.

Because it can run apps on the google play store. Which means you can read almost anything. And youre not limited to one store.
You're not limited to one store on other brands either. I buy my ebooks from many different stores (Amazon, Kobo, Google Play and so on) and read them on any ereader I currently use, at the moment on my Kobos.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:22 PM   #42
Aktive
Enthusiast
Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah but you cant read from apps and websites.
Sometimes your content is in an app. Some ebooks are in apps.
Why would you want to convert books or remove drm if you dont have to.
The web browser on the kobo is for instance very terrible, cant open many websites.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:23 PM   #43
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You always have to if you want to actually own your books.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:27 PM   #44
Aktive
Enthusiast

You but you can still do that while you are not limited.
why would you buy a device thats only good for the company but its not good for the user?
Old 07-29-2023, 04:30 PM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktive View Post
You but you can still do that while you are not limited.
why would you buy a device thats only good for the company but its not good for the user?
I consider my Kobos to be excellent for their user.

And yes, I always, always remove the DRM from every book I buy, no matter whether it can be read directly on my device or not. I never use any app that doesn't let me own the books I've paid for.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote