Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
Is it possible to replace the battery in the Glo HD?

The battery in my Kobo Glo HD is ailing; it still lasts for around a week-and-a-half between charges (without the frontlight), but it isn't what it used to be. Is it possible to replace the battery? Or will I need to replace the whole Kobo eventually? Thanks!
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Looks like it should be pretty easy ...

Battery on eBay ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batterie-Ba...QAAOSw-v5akP39

Opening the Kobo Glo HD ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7FuyPwc7Iw
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The battery can be replaced but it's glued in - too much force on removal attempt and the display might break. So be extra careful. It doesn't seem necessary if the device lasts for over a week on battery, as long as there is a power socket in reach. Also you have to rule out software issues.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The battery can be replaced but it's glued in - too much force on removal attempt and the display might break. So be extra careful. It doesn't seem necessary if the device lasts for over a week on battery, as long as there is a power socket in reach. Also you have to rule out software issues.
I didn't think of that. I'm glad you brought it up. I would hate to be responsible for some breaking their display. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
rcodi
Hardware Pedant
rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: InkPalm 5, Kobo Glo HD
The battery is not glued in, it's just a strong double sided tape. The display is reinforced with a thick plastic backplate so you would have to try pretty hard to break it.

Remove the motherboard (4 screws, 2 connectors) and slide a plastic card under it to peel/break the seal until it's released enough to pull the battery up without bending it.

The other info you need to know is that the two board connectors have small brown retention clips need to be flipped up to release/apply pressure.

Here's a replacement battery from a seller based in the US: https://www.ebay.com/itm/361637093878

Last edited by rcodi; 08-18-2018 at 03:22 PM.
rcodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodi View Post
Here's a replacement battery from a seller based in the US: https://www.ebay.com/itm/361637093878
So it uses the same battery as the Nook Glowlight Plus? That's good to know.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
rcodi
Hardware Pedant
rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.rcodi actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: InkPalm 5, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So it uses the same battery as the Nook Glowlight Plus? That's good to know.
Yep I have a battery from that exact listing in my device!

For anyone who stumbles on this thread in the future: Just look for the part number(PR-285083) instead of specifying a device and you'll find many more results.

Discovered the part number in a Kobo specific listing when I was initially searching for replacements.
rcodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodi View Post
Yep I have a battery from that exact listing in my device!

For anyone who stumbles on this thread in the future: Just look for the part number(PR-285083) instead of specifying a device and you'll find many more results.

Discovered the part number in a Kobo specific listing when I was initially searching for replacements.
Good to know both for the Kobo Glo HD and the Nook Glowlight Plus. Using your part number, I was able to find one seller who specifically lists this battery for both devices.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Battery...EAAOSwdVZbc84I
Old 08-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The battery can be replaced [...] too much force on removal attempt and the display might break. So be extra careful. It doesn't seem necessary if the device lasts for over a week on battery, as long as there is a power socket in reach. Also you have to rule out software issues.
Thanks everyone for your very helpful tips and links. It's reassuring the battery can be replaced. I'll wait and see for now, since it's still lasting over a week on each charge, and will let you know how I get on in the end!

(Are there any videos showing how to remove and replace the battery?)
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:33 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherahiko View Post
(Are there any videos showing how to remove and replace the battery?)
I haven't seen any specifically for the battery, but once you pop the back off, it should be relatively easy (just be careful to work the tape loose in small steps and don't pry to hard).

Here's a video for replacing the SD card which should be helpful for getting inside the Glo HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE9TPEIrwrY
Old 07-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #11
anarcat
Connoisseur
anarcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Note Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Pixel 4a
how to replace the battery on the kobo hd glo

I know this is an old thread and sorry for reviving it, but people finding this thread might like to know that I was able to fairly easily replace the battery on my Kobo Glo HD. Here's the general procedure:
  1. completely power down the device (hold the power button)
  2. open it up as per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE9TPEIrwrY
  3. unplug the battery, this can be done with your thumbnail or a spludger
  4. pull the battery out: i picked one corner out with tweezers because it was just plastic without any battery "content", then used a guitar pick and the ifixit "jimmy" to carefully unglue the old battery out
  5. put a double-sided tape on the old glue
  6. put the new battery on the tape
  7. plug the new battery in
  8. close the lid
  9. cross your fingers and power the device again

i am hoping to write a better guide for ifixit.com, as i have some (pretty bad, i'm sorry to say) pictures to go with this.

also: the above didn't fix my problem: i was able to replace the battery in the sense that the new one is detected and charges, but the problem I am having (which is that the entire thing dies when the power is unplugged) still happens, so it may be the power controller, which i do not know how to fix.
anarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
anarcat
Connoisseur
anarcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Note Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Pixel 4a
iFixit guide, with images

I made this guide on ifixit.com:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Kobo+Gl...acement/143903

Again, as I mentioned in another thread (and the guide), this might not work for you:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=340012&page=2
anarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #13
QG14
QG14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O – N250
Having read through this post I am still stuggling to disconnect the battery from the motherboard on my kobo aura H2O. I have used a moderate amount of force but cannot remove the connector. I am even considering cutting the wire on the old and new battery and resoldering !
Can anyone who has actually removed this connector please explain in as much detail exactly how it comes apart.

Thanks
I have provided a clear image if that helps.
Many thanks.
QG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #14
QG14
QG14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O – N250
Having read through this post I am still stuggling to disconnect the battery from the motherboard on my kobo aura H2O. I have used a moderate amount of force but cannot remove the connector. I am even considering cutting the wire on the old and new battery and resoldering !
Can anyone who has actually removed this connector please explain in as much detail exactly how it comes apart.

Thanks
I have provided a clear image if that helps.
Many thanks.
QG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@QG14, please attach your image.It's not working as is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, glohd