Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #76
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I'm a bit late to the discussion, sorry!

I have to say I really struggled with reading this book - there seems to be so many unnecessary explanations/asides (more "telling" than "showing" writing). But listening to the Audible version on my commutes was more tolerable, so I made it to the end

I liked the bones of the story, but then I am a fan of traditional English mystery. But this book just had too much "clutter" and explanations. The ending was a bit Christie-like with lots of info, but way too long and convoluted. Or something. I just couldn't get in to this story or connect to the characters. I got impatient reading, and actually speed read some sections.

I am intrigued by how the relationship between Peter and Bunter might evolve in future books.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 AM   #77
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
[...]
I am intrigued by how the relationship between Peter and Bunter might evolve in future books.
I came away with similar results. I didn't like this book very much but I felt as if the characters, and the writing, have enough potential that it may be worth pursuing later books in the hope that the storytelling improves.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #78
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, as the original nominator, I would never have started with this one, except that we got so much tsuris about books having to be the first in the series that I let my common sense be overridden. Normally, I would have started with the second in the series, Clouds of Witness being of the opinion that anything missed in the first one wouldn't be critical. But even that is by far not my favourite, though it's certainly a better book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, as the original nominator, I would never have started with this one, except that we got so much tsuris about books having to be the first in the series that I let my common sense be overridden. Normally, I would have started with the second in the series, Clouds of Witness being of the opinion that anything missed in the first one wouldn't be critical. But even that is by far not my favourite, though it's certainly a better book.
If the first book in a series is not good enough to start with then I suggest we forget that series and pick something else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #80
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Enough with the wrangling about series.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2018, 11:52 PM   #81
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I just finished this and thought her later work was better. I couldn't decide if she was being especially clever or inexperienced.

I thought the idea of carrying a large man across the roof and through a window unseen as being beyond belief. And all the grooming without leaving a lot of residue.

I did enjoy the Dowager character. The scene where Freke attempts to inject poison into Wimsey was very dramatic and tense.

However, I don't care for the confession letter reveal.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 AM   #82
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think we would agree with you on all points, Fbone.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #83
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
. . . with the exception of not being seen while carrying a large man across the roof. It's amazing how little people look up.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #84
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't remember the time of day he did the carrying. However, if London is like NYC rooftops are a popular place to smoke, hang laundry, garden, relax, etc. From one roof you can often see the whole block.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #85
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Late night, or actually early morning, if I remember correctly. And keep in mind that one didn't need to go on the roof to smoke back then.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #86
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Late night, or actually early morning, if I remember correctly. And keep in mind that one didn't need to go on the roof to smoke back then.
Thanks. So he did all that in near darkness.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #87
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I didn't think to ask if it might have been Christmas eve. A man on the roof carrying what might, in the dim light, have looked like a large sack, accompanied by the jangling of carabiners (as a man with mountaineering experience he will of course have been using lots of rope and carabiners) would all have had ready explanation. Though I'm not sure how to explain the banging as he installed the pitons necessary to lower himself and the body over the edge and into the window - and that strikes me as a very tricky operation even for a doctor with mountaineering experience.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #88
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Let's be brutally frank - it was all pretty far-fetched, even for a mountaineer!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:12 AM   #89
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
perfect for Xmas eve
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #90
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I can't remember the time of day he did the carrying. However, if London is like NYC rooftops are a popular place to smoke, hang laundry, garden, relax, etc. From one roof you can often see the whole block.
Most unlike. It would be surprising to meet anyone on the rooftops.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote