Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thumbs up Free (Kindle) Spoil the Kill by O. McGann [YA Sci-Fi Dystopia London Crime Adventure]

Spoil the Kill by Irish novelist Oisín McGann (ISFDB, Wikipedia) is a novella-length YA sfnal adventure thriller set in the criminal underworld of a dystopian techno-futuristic London, which ties into the upcoming Rat Runners novel in the same universe and due out in January 2015, free courtesy of publisher Open Road Media, who last gave us actual freebies sometime back in 2011, but have been fairly generous with the 60% off Boxing Day sales and the rotating $1.99 discount titles (couponable at Kobo!) since then.

Currently free to pre-order @ Amazon (available to Canadians & in the UK; slated for release on Nov 25th). Will probably show up in the other stores around then if ORM decides to keep it free.

And this has been the selected 3rd (non-repeat) free ebook thread of the day.

Because if Open Road is going to continue freebie-ing things again to encourage boosts of the sales of their other hopefully also promotionally-discounted things, I'm certainly going to go and buy even more of their catalogue than I'm already doing.

Enjoy!

Description
Can four young lawbreakers outsmart London’s most powerful gangster?

Scope is not your average teenager. A self-described criminal nerd, she spends most of her time cleaning up forensic messes and faking evidence. When you work for Move-Easy, London’s most powerful thug, life is never boring.

But WatchWorld owns the city now, and running an illegal empire is no easy feat. Cameras, drones, and heat sensors line the streets and stalk the skies while Safe-Guards, the part-human, part-robot police, patrol the city and enter homes with impunity.

Everyone knows that crossing Move-Easy means certain and painful death. So when he sends Scope and several other rat runners—young outlaws who evade detection by traveling through the city’s Voids—to track down one of Easy’s old enemies, they know they have no choice. But what if the target is innocent? Can Scope spoil the kill, or will doing so make her Easy’s next mark?

This is a Rat Runners novella. For the full experience, be sure to read Rat Runners by Oisín McGann, available January 13, 2015.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is now officially released and also free @ B&N (also UK), Kobo & iTunes & Google Play (all available to Canadians).
Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
...free courtesy of publisher Open Road Media, who last gave us actual freebies sometime back in 2011, but have been fairly generous with the 60% off Boxing Day sales and the rotating $1.99 discount titles (couponable at Kobo!) since then.
I can't complain about a freebie novella to hook readers into series, but I disagree with you about ORM freebies. While it is true that most of their freebies lately have been public domain works, they've made a few non-PD works free for a day too, like
The Winston Affair by Howard Fast,
Patton's Spaceship by John Barnes
Karma by Susan Dunlap

I like a lot of their SF & F & horror authors (admittedly all or nearly all backlist works), and the low prices if one waits for a sale.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I can't complain about a freebie novella to hook readers into series, but I disagree with you about ORM freebies. While it is true that most of their freebies lately have been public domain works, they've made a few non-PD works free for a day too, like
I'm just going to point out that the OP was posted in the beginning of October while this novella was still a pre-order, before ORM started doing the non-PD freebies, which I did in fact post as they came up.

Before that, if you run a search on MR, there is a literal 3-year gap when the previous ORM freebies (which I also posted as they came out) were in 2011.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I'm just going to point out that the OP was posted in the beginning of October while this novella was still a pre-order, before ORM started doing the non-PD freebies, which I did in fact post as they came up.

Before that, if you run a search on MR, there is a literal 3-year gap when the previous ORM freebies (which I also posted as they came out) were in 2011.
I'm sorry, I missed the date of the original post.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard

No worries. I agree with you that Open Road Media has an excellent backlist selection and sale pricing and I'm glad to see them freebie-ing a few more of their non-PD acquisitions, and I've been buying plenty of their monthly promotion and 1-day sale $1.99 and $2.99 offerings for the past few months. New favourite publisher, I think.

(Though I wish they'd extend the deals on their catalogue to worldwide for other regions in which they do have the rights, since it would be nice if people outside of Canada & the US could scoop the quality bargains as well.)

Tags
also itunes/kobo/nook, irish author ebook, long-term freebie