Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
[Old Thread] Can I make all text BOLD in epub format?

Two related questions...

Is there a simple way to take an existing epub file and make all the text bold so I can more easily see the output on my nook?

Is there a way to make all text bold as I am converting a file into epub format?

Thanks.
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Add an extra-css file containing the following
Quote:
body {
font-weight: bold;
}
I like the sans-serif font and left alignment, so I use:

Quote:
body {
font-family: sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
text-align: left;
}
On a few devices you can add a generic UserStyle.css that applies to all ePubs, but on most devices you need to apply the extra CSS individually to each ePub via Calibre. This means that you need to do an ePub to ePub conversion under Calibre to get bold for ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

On a few devices you can add a generic UserStyle.css that applies to all ePubs, but on most devices you need to apply the extra CSS individually to each ePub via Calibre. This means that you need to do an ePub to ePub conversion under Calibre to get bold for ePubs.
Thanks for that information!

Where do I place the extra css file?
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJMuldowney View Post
Where do I place the extra css file?
Extra CSS box on Calibre GUI [Convert] - [Look&Feel] page.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

I have old tired eyes so I thought I'd give this a whirl. Works well, with a couple of unexpected results:

1- When I typed "body {font-weight: bold} " inline, Calibre split it into three lines as in your example.

2- I converted from epub to mobi and the bold went with it and my K3 is now much easier to read.

Thanks for the info - it has been a real help.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Depending on your device, you can actually change your font-face to a bold font for your regular font and a heavy font for the bolded parts of your epubs.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
kanoodle
kanoodle began at the beginning.

Device: sony
I tried it and it only works for part of the epub. Anyone know why?
kanoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoodle View Post
I tried it and it only works for part of the epub. Anyone know why?
It's in the code Luke
It all depends on the style(sheet) set for the various text.
Some stylesheets have 20 lines for the entire (bare bones styled) book
Many use 200 lines of styles, for a clean looking style found in many paperbacks.
Then there is the 'kitchen sink' (3000 line) size stylesheet, that contains every style the publisher has ever used

Setting a Body size to Large only lasts until a new font-size is called inside the body.

Use the base font rescaling option in the conversion settings to shift ALL font sizes in the book.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote