Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
bwana
bwana began at the beginning.

Device: none
When will amazon and apple accept manuscript submissions for publication?

I conclude that a market for used digital content is an oxymoron. You can't even give away your digital content. Digital content also lacks the emotional parts of physical content. The smell and feel of a book. The connection of a story with a physical object all of it's own. Since digital content is priced similarly to physical content when it shouldn't be, I rationalize that the publishers are charging me for the convenience of using an ereader.

At this point I see a market opportunity for apple and amazon. Accept submissions from authors directly. An additonal advantage would be a 'genius' function that could compare books based on content like gnooks, etc.

A start might be for apple to buy some publishing houses- Oreilly, etc

Of course the publishing houses might counter with their own strategy - free ebooks filled with I-Ads. We scoff at product placement in movies. But it will come to ebooks now thanks to Apple. But this post is already off topic and spawning another idea.

Can anyone here float this idea at amazon or apple?
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know if this is intended to be some kind of joke, but Amazon do accept "self-published" books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
I conclude that a market for used digital content is an oxymoron. You can't even give away your digital content. Digital content also lacks the emotional parts of physical content. The smell and feel of a book. The connection of a story with a physical object all of it's own. Since digital content is priced similarly to physical content when it shouldn't be, I rationalize that the publishers are charging me for the convenience of using an ereader.

At this point I see a market opportunity for apple and amazon. Accept submissions from authors directly. An additonal advantage would be a 'genius' function that could compare books based on content like gnooks, etc.

A start might be for apple to buy some publishing houses- Oreilly, etc

Of course the publishing houses might counter with their own strategy - free ebooks filled with I-Ads. We scoff at product placement in movies. But it will come to ebooks now thanks to Apple. But this post is already off topic and spawning another idea.

Can anyone here float this idea at amazon or apple?
Bwana,

First step to releasing one's written works through Amazon - Google!

Yep. Amazon will not only allow you to release your fiction (and non-fiction) works directly to Kindle ebook format, they'll also help you to release them in Trade paperback (TPB) format. To find out more, google on 'Amazon DTP' (for ebooks) and 'Amazon Clearspace' (for TPB).

Second step is to actually *write* the thing. (This may be the most difficult. )

As for Apple iPhone/Touch/iPad, if you've got a novel ready, go over to FiFo and release it as an ePub ebook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote