Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #31
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I don't even like Facebook on my fire. It reminds me of my first teddy bear. His name was Fuzzy.

Yet it's ok for watching video. Video is a different beast though. You're watching the whole scene usually, not focussing on one line or a few words at a time. Brightness matters, but if it was only an issue of brighness LCD TV's would cause just as much eye strain as tablet reading.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Nearsighted here. I read very happily on a 5 inch LCD phone screen in smallish font with my glasses off.
Obviously your eyes must be better than mine. I cannot read without glasses at all, unless I put my nose practically against the screen, and that position is not suitable for reading more than a few words.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2017, 11:57 PM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Maybe someone will do a real scientific study to determine why LCDs bother some people's eyes and not others, and whether there is anything those of us who have difficulty with it could do differently. Until then, I'll stick with eink.
And paper books for the bathroom and especially bathtub.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Obviously your eyes must be better than mine. I cannot read without glasses at all, unless I put my nose practically against the screen, and that position is not suitable for reading more than a few words.
That is for years how hubby knew it was time for me new glasses. Book kept getting closer to face. Just checked without glasses on size 1 here. 3 inches from face.
Do you have an astigmatism too?
Just a curiousity.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you have an astigmatism too?
Just a curiousity.
I don't remember ever having been diagnosed with it, but I do have cylindrical lens in my glasses.
Advert
Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #36
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't remember ever having been diagnosed with it, but I do have cylindrical lens in my glasses.
Probably then. Let me guess one lens is also thicker than the other one.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:29 AM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Probably then. Let me guess one lens is also thicker than the other one.
Well yes, a little bit.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 AM   #38
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My myopia is moderate. I'm not in the blind-as-a-bat coke-bottle-lenses category. I definitely do need glasses for distance, but I've always been able to read without glasses. I typically hold reading material about 9-10 inches from my face for the small font size I like to read (could be hold it a little farther away for large fonts). I know I have some astigmatism too - I think pretty much anybody I've ever known who had glasses for myopia had astigmatism as well.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:29 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I see it as about equal on the light complaints.
Or I have read about the same number of complaints about lighting.
It seems to me the most common one is I have seen is I turn the light all the way up in a dark room and it is blinding/splotchy/etc.
Well yes if you turn any light on high in a dark room it can be blinding. I don't care if it is a tablet, ereader, or flashlight or open the shade. Looking at any bright light can be blinding. Turn down or device and get that effing flashlight out of my eyes. You bounced the light off my glasses.
Which comes back to my original doubt/guess: LCD is too bright, EInk is too bright, so brightness isn't the major factor why some people prefer Eink to LCD.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #40
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really don't think it's that hard to understand. Watching TV doesn't demand a lot of focus, reading does. Watching TV or being on my computer or phone hurts my eyes as well by the way but working on an essay on MS word for instance demands more focus, hence it is more challenging to your eyes which is why I would love to have an E-paper monitor. Also, there's a pretty huge difference between ambient light and looking directly at a lit object, the light that's used in phones etc. also usually differs from domestic room lamps. Lastly, light sensitivity isn't necessarily tied to ametropia/defective vision.

Last edited by tracey1; 08-01-2017 at 11:34 AM.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #41
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
so brightness isn't the major factor why some people prefer Eink to LCD.
Everybody is different but for me it definitely is. Battery life is nice side effect but what matters is to me is that E-paper is eye-friendly.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #42
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Because people are different - different ages, different sizes, different abilities, different eyesight, different needs.

Not everyone is you. Not everyone is doing something 'wrong' if they have different experiences than you.
This is what I find confusing about the questions in the op.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #43
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
I really don't think it's that hard to understand. Watching TV doesn't demand a lot of focus, reading does. Watching TV or being on my computer or phone hurts my eyes as well by the way but working on an essay on MS word for instance demands more focus, hence it is more challenging to your eyes. Also, there's a pretty huge difference between ambient light and looking directly at a lit object, the light that's used in phones etc. also usually differs from domestic room lamps. Lastly, light sensitivity isn't necessarily tied to ametropia/defective vision.
I agree with the first half of your post.

But I don't get how light from a screen is any different from reflected light. When I read on LCD I bring the backlight down to the point that the screen appears the same as a nicely lit piece of paper.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think a big part of the issue is the fact that the dedicated eink ereaders hit the market hard with the "easy on the eyes 'cause it's just like paper!" marketing strategy. Which made sense, of course, because they had no lighting technology of their own at that point. Now that they're all lighted, I don't believe there's much scientific difference any more, to tell the truth. But "easy on the eyes" had already become the dedicated ereader mantra by that point.

I'm not saying that some people aren't more sensitive than others. I just don't personally believe that--lumen for lumen--there's much difference between reflected vs. backlighting when it's hitting the back of your eyeballs. Variance in pixel-density/fuzziness; I understand.

Happy everybody has choices, though. Because I'm not looking to convince/convert anybody. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your eyes certainly don't "know" if a photon hitting your optic nerve has been emitted by, or reflected from, a screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote