Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
'Coming out at work' Question

Hi all,

Ok so I have a situation where, after the interrogation of a suspect (spy/MI5 story) by a small team of four case officers (2F+2M), a passing issue relevant to the sexual orientation of the suspect comes up. My female character makes a couple of observations when they are back in a meeting room together, not suspicious in themselves, but decides to follow them up with a statement that she is bisexual, triggered in a small way because she feels she has extra insight into the situation.

So I am pondering what words she might chose. Keeping in mind that everyone doesn't always chose the perfect words or the politically correct words.

Might she say "By the way I'm just letting you guys know that I am actually bisexual." or might she say "By the way I'm just letting you guys know that I am gay, actually bisexual."

Can anyone assist me ? As I said I'm not seeking the ultimate politically correct statement ... just a credible one by a mature woman of 39 among supportive professional colleagues where the response is going to be calm and fine.

Tks !
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it might be simpler than you think. Someone would probably ask her what makes her an expert on the topic and she could just say something like, "I happen to be bi-sexual."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think it might be simpler than you think. Someone would probably ask her what makes her an expert on the topic and she could just say something like, "I happen to be bi-sexual."
I like it. A good solution, crich.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tks for the feedback guys.

I was confused as to whether they would use the word gay first because of the way we, society, tends to think ...
Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
I was confused as to whether they would use the word gay first because of the way we, society, tends to think ...
Generally no, because despite what the general public and popular media sometimes seem to think*, "gay" and "bisexual" are not at all the same thing, especially not for someone who's come to terms with being bisexual and genuinely being attracted to and acting on attractions to both sexes, and no longer in the occasional "experimenting/deciding" phase where they're still figuring themselves out and possibly using the label for convenience when trying to explain stuff to others.

(I happen to be bisexual. And thereby agree with crich70's suggestion of phrasing as one of the most likely. But I'm not a mature woman of 39 among supportive professional colleagues, so YMMV.)

* When they bother to acknowledge that non-monosexual attraction is A Thing™ at all, and not some kind of code-word for "watch sum hot 2 girl action! and they'll do it in a 3-way with you too, later!", or "transitioning from boy/girlfriend to girl/boyfriend exclusively in the future". Bisexuals exist, dammit!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
saoir
Groupie

Thanks for that input ATD ... not that I really understood the last bit .. but I got the message
Old 12-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Eh, the last bit is just my usual grumble about how popular media* likes to portray bisexuality as not actually existing, except when it's convenient for people to exploit the idea of sexual exploration for the titillation of the audience, while ultimately maintaining that the people engaging in bisexuality are just doing it to attract the opposite-sex person they really want, who is portrayed as the true indicator of their actual sexual orientation.

Or their insistence that There Can Be Only One (Orientation), and that people† who start dating the same-sex or wind up marrying the opposite sex could never have been bisexual in the first place, but were secretly either hetero- or homosexual all along but confused about it until they settled down, with absolutely nothing in between.

But it looks like you're approaching the issue in a thoughtful manner from a non-exploitative perspective, so .

* And then there's fandom, which just kind of fetishizes LGBT people in general, while also generally not actually respecting them as people in many cases, unfortunately.

† Not just fictional characters, but actual people. E.g. actress Anna Paquin, of X-Men and True Blood fame, who's had to go on record repeatedly in interviews that being happily married to a man does not in any way change the fact that she's bisexual and is still attracted to both men and women, and that no, it does not make her more likely to cheat on her husband than an exclusively heterosexual person would be.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-01-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Muddled phrasing. And smiley.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In John Harvey: "Easy Meat" (1996) the black AND gay Detective Constable has his coming out this way:
"Considering the cases we are dealing with I think it's important that you know, that I am homosexual." For a slightly moment he nearly smiled. "Yes, I am gay."

That's like the suggestion of crich.

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The character should say it in their own voice, their own persona, so it all depends.

It could be as easy as, "I know because I swing both ways."
but it all depends on context, character and personality.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
What kennyc said.

The flip side of which (depending on the character, politics, etc.) might be the character saying, "I just know, okay? Trust me on this one.")

That way you get the message across without having to pick a "name."
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote