Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
New PW issue: light goes all the way up or down

Can you guys answer if you have seen this issue on your units?

When I try to increase or decrease the light by touching the - or +, on one of the units, I get the same as a long touch to where it goes all the way up or down, but not all the time, after every touch, so it's a bit erratical.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, mine does that too sometimes. I actually wouldn't have noticed it if you didn't mention it as I never use it by the + and - buttons.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
When my battery charge was almost gone, the light dropped all the way to zero without me doing anything. That may have been the signal to recharge since I never got any other signal.

A tap on the + got the light back on.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Sort of related but is there any way to turn off the light completely to make it work like a regular screen?
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Sort of related but is there any way to turn off the light completely to make it work like a regular screen?
No, you can't turn the light off completely.
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
When my battery charge was almost gone, the light dropped all the way to zero without me doing anything. That may have been the signal to recharge since I never got any other signal.

A tap on the + got the light back on.
Did one tap on the + put it at level 1, though, or all the way up?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Yes, mine does that too sometimes. I actually wouldn't have noticed it if you didn't mention it as I never use it by the + and - buttons.
Interesting.
I saw that happen when I was testing out the four units I had, before deciding which ones to send back. I was trying to compare them at the same light levels, so was using the +- a lot, and whenever it happened, I didn't think much of it, and so didn't pay attention if it was happening with all of them or not, just thought I had doubletapped too long.

It's a tad annoying, but not -on its own - reason to return it.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Interesting.
I saw that happen when I was testing out the four units I had, before deciding which ones to send back. I was trying to compare them at the same light levels, so was using the +- a lot, and whenever it happened, I didn't think much of it, and so didn't pay attention if it was happening with all of them or not, just thought I had doubletapped too long.

It's a tad annoying, but not -on its own - reason to return it.
I'm guessing they all may do that sometimes. I always turn it up and down by just pressing on the lines themselves and sliding my finger along the scale.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Did one tap on the + put it at level 1, though, or all the way up?
It came back at level 1 and I had to slide it back to level 22 - my normal level.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Hmm, I don't think I've even tried the plus and minus buttons. I just use my finger to slide the brightness up or down.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
No, you can't turn the light off completely.
It's going to be fun convincing cabin staff that it's turned off then.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm

@bricorn: I think you have to turn them off all the way anyway during take-off/landing. When you do, the light is completely off as well. Rule of thumb, as long as you see the screensaver, the light is off, and only then.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Bricorn - I was referring to the previous poster about turning the light off and having it act like a regular screen, that can't be done, but of course you can turn the unit itself off and then the light is off.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Allegedly, if it's in airplane mode, you don't have to turn it off - that's the purpose of calling it "airplane mode" rather than "wifi off", I thought.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm

AFAIK, airplane mode is the only mode you are allowed to use any device while on the plane, unless your flight has in-cabin Wifi. You still have to switch off all electronics during take-off/landing.