Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #106
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I need action suspense with a preference for extreme horror elements. Now finding all that in a sci fi book is hard, and I am very into sci fi down to star trek stargate etc. Tho they are sci fi soaps.

I doubt many women would crave those elements in their sci fi. But identifing the elements they want is a good start.

btw if anybody knows a sci fi book with the elements I like do share please ")
David Gerrold's "War Against the Chtorr" series. Action, horrific aliens (not just "big and scary," but creepy and disturbing); I'm not sure what counts as "suspense" but there's plenty of "what exactly is going on here (and how do I sort that out before I get shot or eaten)?" Unfortunately, there's no legit ebook version available.

Richard K Morgan's "Altered Carbon" is a high-action thriller.

Richard Kadrey's "Blind Shrike" is good; has been reworked into "Butcher Bird" by Nightshade books, but the earlier version was released free on the internet, and is still available in several places.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #107
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
thanks heaps have put them on my to read list

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #108
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I am reading right now The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge, which no one seemed to have mentioned. It's beautifully written and it won awards on top of awards. Unfortunately DTB only.

Otherwise I second those who voted for The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, though once again DTB only. Pretty much anything by Lois McMaster Bujold would appeal to women (and some of her books are free from Baen too).
Andreiuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #109
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I need action suspense with a preference for extreme horror elements.
You might also add China Mieville's "Perdido Street Station" to your "to check out" list...
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #110
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
thanks another on my short list. I want to finish the game of throne books then world war z. After that I will push back my others and slot these in. I can not pass up extreme horror elements and sci fi rolled into one

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #111
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
The "Swing Zone" series is amazing for women. It's one of the few out there, that the main character is a women, and it's all about female empowerment. Picture Indiana Jones, but as a female
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #112
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Picture Indiana Jones, but as a female
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #113
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
<3 *Plays theme song in his head while reading*
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote