Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #61
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'll just say I never met an Android tablet I liked. Android on tablets has been hamstrung by the idiots at Google. And not one yet that I've seen had a respectable processor. Unless the buyer is into hacking, this Nook won't be good for much, even reading. A backlit LCD will wash out in daylight and give you a headache in low light. I looked at the current generation of Nooks and thought they were a stupid design with a super sluggish LCD that cannot sync up correctly with the eInk screen.

So do they really think that many B&N shoppers will go for an app-less brick that runs at a snails pace for a brief 8 hours? I'm glad I don't have any B&N stock!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #62
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

But I did laugh at the way he TOTALY skirted the request to see the internet in action.
That was funny. They didn't allow any media hands-on which may mean that the software isn't finished yet. Expect firmware updates.

I do like how the "n" button on the bottom is a home key.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #63
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
I don't see the product space for this device. It's an android tablet that can't run android apps. How is having a device dedicated to one single app better than having the ebook reading experience on every android tablet.

They should have stuck with what differentiated the ereader from other devices. eInk, integrated directly with the store, superior reading experience.

again I think people are misreading this. This is not a replacement to the current eink Nook. This is a product line addition.

If you want eink get the original
If you want an ereader that takes advantage of full color and the technology advantages of what an LCD screen can do you get nook color

It's called choices.

egads people
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #64
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'll just say I never met an Android tablet I liked. Android on tablets has been hamstrung by the idiots at Google. And not one yet that I've seen had a respectable processor. Unless the buyer is into hacking, this Nook won't be good for much, even reading. A backlit LCD will wash out in daylight and give you a headache in low light. I looked at the current generation of Nooks and thought they were a stupid design with a super sluggish LCD that cannot sync up correctly with the eInk screen.

So do they really think that many B&N shoppers will go for an app-less brick that runs at a snails pace for a brief 8 hours? I'm glad I don't have any B&N stock!

Oh yeah let the Kindlebot trolls come on down.

I'll give Amazon 2 months until they copy the Nook AGAIN and come out with their own color LCD and you'll the first one in the Kool aid kindle subforum singing it's praises

Plueez I think your Kool aid is getting warm.

Kindle runs cool commericials they must be the best

Last edited by boswd; 10-26-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #65
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
Am I mistaken but in slide 14 of the Cnet article, is that a crudload of fingerprints on the screen? fail.
so I take it you don't have a touchscreen smartphone.

yeah fingerprints have made the Droids and iphone big Fails
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #66
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I think this is very attractive to parents if the Nook Kids is robust.

I notice that .pdb/eReader isn't a supported format, unlike Nook original.

This may also appeal to the eBookwise holdouts, since they're already used to backlit LCD.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #67
chichichobits
chichichobits began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am beyond pissed off I really wanted e-ink but this sounds like more of a business move on B&N's part. To wait so long to hear about an LCD screen. I think I'm just going to buy a kindle as much as I hate how it looks atleast function wise it seems the best.
chichichobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #68
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichichobits View Post
I am beyond pissed off I really wanted e-ink but this sounds like more of a business move on B&N's part. To wait so long to hear about an LCD screen. I think I'm just going to buy a kindle as much as I hate how it looks atleast function wise it seems the best.

if you wanted a nook and want eink just get the original.

ok People listen UP, I am saying this for the last time. THIS IS NOT A REPLACEMENT!!!!!! It's an addition to it's product line.

The orginal e ink nook is still being sold. In fact a major firmware update is being rolled out in November as well.

So one more time the Nook family will like this

Nook wif/3g eink
Nook wifi only eink
Nook color LCD

you now have 3 choices.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #69
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Unless the buyer is into hacking, this Nook won't be good for much, even reading. A backlit LCD will wash out in daylight and give you a headache in low light. I looked at the current generation of Nooks and thought they were a stupid design with a super sluggish LCD that cannot sync up correctly with the eInk screen.
So tired of hearing this complete nonsense. I have read on lcd devices for a decade and they do not give you headaches or eyestrain. I can only assume you use them in a completely dark room with the brightness cranked all the way up. Even then I doubt I would get a headache from it.

The current nook is a great reader and every bit the equal of the kindle. My touch screen is hardly super sluggish and it syncs fine with my eink screen. I wouldn't trade the touch screen and easy page turn swipes for that clunky keyboard any day.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #70
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
So tired of hearing this complete nonsense. I have read on lcd devices for a decade and they do not give you headaches or eyestrain. I can only assume you use them in a completely dark room with the brightness cranked all the way up. Even then I doubt I would get a headache from it.
Many people suffer from the "headaches" and "eyestrain" from reading on lcd screens.....the fact that you don't is great for you, but you can't really deny that it does indeed exist for others.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #71
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
+1
I don't get headaches reading on LCD but find it annoying. I much prefer reading on eink then on LCD
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #72
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
...yeah fingerprints have made the Droids and iphone big Fails
And I stopped wearing glasses cuz every time I got a fingerprint on a lens, I had to buy a new pair. Clue: fingerprints wipe off.

I'm really waiting to see how the responses go from real owners. The concept is very appealing to me as a bridge between my wife's iPad and my ereader. Would give her a similar device for reading Library books, and would give me a possibly functional versatility without having to get an iPhone next time my contract runs out.

My concern is while I am impressed with the iPhone/iTouch/iPad apps I have seen on my wife's iPad and son's iPhone, I haven't heard really great things about Droid apps.

Plus, it appears the FW upgrades don't always make it from Google thru the device manufacturers to the consumers in a timely fashion. (For instance, I believe 2.2 is the current FW with 2.3 or possibly 3.0 imminent, but I understand the NC is coming out with 2.0.)

I will be waiting to see how much additional functionality the NC will end up with once it is actually out in the world on its own. I don't need an iPad or iPhone, but if its gonna have an LCD screen it needs to be more than an ereader, IMHO.

Edit: Duh. I see it has limited browsing, can check mail -- features the original nook has, but perhaps with a little more versatility. Maybe a nook classic will do the job, after all.

Last edited by eGeezer; 10-27-2010 at 12:17 AM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #73
Helio
Helio began at the beginning.

Device: nook 3G
No 3G?

No Nook color for me.
Helio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #74
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
And I stopped wearing glasses cuz every time I got a fingerprint on a lens, I had to buy a new pair. Clue: fingerprints wipe off.
Very true. I find if I smear the fingerprint covered screen with a dab of Vaseline and then a coat of peanut butter and pop it into the freezer for 4 hours, chisel off the peanut butter block and scrub vigorously with a towel soaked in warm water... viola! Clear screen.

Or you could just wipe them off.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 10-26-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #75
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
...and scrub vigorously with a towel soaked in warm water... viola! Clear screen.

Or you could jut wipe them off.
Darn. Mom never told me about the warm water part.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote