Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Size matters?

Hi!

I'm looking to replace my mountains of A4 documents with a single device, all the documents are generated from htm, txt or pdf files. So my question is can I get away with viewing PDFs on a 6 inch screen or should I look at the Iliad with it's 8 inch screen or wait for the Hanlin V9 with it's 10 inch screen?

Any thoughts welcome!

Boris
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
Personally I'm waiting for the V9. I still have some concerns over the level of support that we can expect and also the quality of firmware. But hopefully those concerns may be answered with the V3. I'd get an iliad, but it's expensive and I don't like the idea of having to flip back and forth between two halfs of the same page in landscape mode.
It could turn out that either bookeen or irex will bring out there own 10" device next year, but they've made no official announcements, so for now the hanlin is it.
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As of right this moment, the iLiad is the best e-ink device for reading PDF. And it's not announced. It's actually out. From what I've seen of screen shots, it's not too bad at reading PDF especially with zooming in on the margins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eason View Post
It could turn out that either bookeen or irex will bring out there own 10" device next year, but they've made no official announcements, so for now the hanlin is it.
It isn't official, but in the video Bookeen's founders indicate that they are planning to release another device next year for business users that will have a larger screen. However, larger screen (and business users) presumably means more expensive - so it may be approaching ILiad's price range.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll have to wait for a 10 inch display to be able to use a device for everything I need for work. Hopefully there will be a few to choose from before long...

Boris
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote