Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #106
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
now we know what i luv cabbages should work on next . . ..
I hope it will be lrx first

Jailbreaking iTouches/iPhones is a cottage industry by now
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #107
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
No, I meant the topaz format but I'm for the LRX too.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #108
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you no longer have a registered Kindle, will you still have access to the content beyond the samples?
Apparently - I've been able to download and read content purchased when I had my Kindle in addition to buying new Kindle ebooks without any problems...
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #109
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
Quote:
That's been the status quo so far.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is, if the poster no longer has a registered Kindle, I don't think she will be able to access the books previously purchased for the Kindle. She my have to re-purchase those books. I wonder if she can try to access them and see if she can.
Quote:
Are we sure about that since technically we don't "own" them.
I believe that my experience here will shed light on it.

I had a Kindle 1, and bought a number of books. I returned the Kindle 1, and months later, bought a Kindle 2.

All the books I purchased while I had the Kindle 1 are still "mine" and available to download my Kindle 2.

While the iPhone/iPod Touch app is new, I expect that, for the person with the original question, her Kindle-1-purchased books will still be available to her iPhone app after having deregistered/returned her Kindle 1.

Cheers!
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #110
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
Apparently - I've been able to download and read content purchased when I had my Kindle in addition to buying new Kindle ebooks without any problems...
Doh! Macgirl answered her own question while I was taking too long to type my response...

Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #111
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
When you sold your Kindle did you deregister it? If not and the new owner has not registered the Kindle their own account, I can see how you are able to continue to have access and make new purchases. But *if* you deregistered *and* the new owner re-registered it to their own account, there is a big problem for Amazon in how they are handling sold Kindles (but not for you ).

Edit: Re-reading your post I think I mis-interpreted what you wrote. I was think you continued to purchase Kindle books after you sold your Kindle and before the new Amazon app was released. What I see now is that, since the app has become available you have access to the Kindle books you previously purchased and may now purchase new Kindle books.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-04-2009 at 04:59 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #112
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
I believe that my experience here will shed light on it.

I had a Kindle 1, and bought a number of books. I returned the Kindle 1, and months later, bought a Kindle 2.

All the books I purchased while I had the Kindle 1 are still "mine" and available to download my Kindle 2.

While the iPhone/iPod Touch app is new, I expect that, for the person with the original question, her Kindle-1-purchased books will still be available to her iPhone app after having deregistered/returned her Kindle 1.

Cheers!
In your case, you still have a Kindle registered to your account, which keeps the content in play (even with a break between Kindles). In macgirls' case, her Kindle was sold. So it's not quite the same.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #113
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
If anyone wants to see an actual comparison of the screens (not the screenshot grabs most of the reviews/blogs are using, which tend to make the iPhone screen much larger than it really is), I've posted pictures of all three Kindle devices, open to the same book, comparing fonts and graphics between them:

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/2...-pictures.html
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #114
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Well they have all but officially declared Mobipocket legacy. Mobipocket's claim to fame has always been the wide number of devices that it supports. It appears that Amazon has stopped them from doing this in favour of this business model where the app can only be used to purchase from Amazon. Mobipocket will die out with the current generation of devices that support it.

They appear to be keeping it active just to bridge the gap until they get the Amazon/Kindle content available to the rest of the world.
Hm...this does not sit well with me. I want to be able to read my ebooks on a variety of devices. I don't want a Kindle or an iPhone. Mobipocket has always been the most flexible solution for me.
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #115
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Isn't it wonderful how DRM helps all the paying customers? Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Pirates with Jailbroken Iphones download and use with little hassle or troubles.

What does this even mean? Are you equating pirates with people who jailbreak their device?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #116
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
What does this even mean? Are you equating pirates with people who jailbreak their device?
If I was, then I would be a Pirate also And I've nothing against Pirates in the 'sharing stuff' sense of the word. If you're talking about Pirates who steal stuff and then profit from it, then I have a lot against them.

The point I was trying to make, confusion aside, is that only those who pirate, jailbreak and download their stuff without DRM get the full benefit. Honest, paying customers get screwed every which way but loose.

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-04-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #117
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
But isn't it true that when you d/l applications to a jailbroken phone via Cydia (I think that's the name) you get them without paying? Isn't that one of the main reasons to jailbreak?
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #118
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
But isn't it true that when you d/l applications to a jailbroken phone via Cydia (I think that's the name) you get them without paying? Isn't that one of the main reasons to jailbreak?

I use an Itouch and all I've really got on there is Stanza and a few other bits and bobs along with the usual music/videos. Never bought anything (or copied/stolen/however you want to put it) from the App store.

Also, I'm in the UK, so all the mess with Amazon on the app store isn't even near to me yet.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #119
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
If I was, then I would be a Pirate also And I've nothing against Pirates in the 'sharing stuff' sense of the word. If you're talking about Pirates who steal stuff and then profit from it, then I have a lot against them.

The point I was trying to make, confusion aside, is that only those who pirate, jailbreak and download their stuff without DRM get the full benefit. Honest, paying customers get screwed every which way but loose.

OK, glad you clarified as I've jailbroken my 2G touch. Iget what you are saying, because I am thinking of switching from Sony reader to Kindle but I have alot of .lrx protected books, including a few I havent read.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #120
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
I think the main reason to jailbreak is to open up what Jobs and company want to keep closed. For instance, Apple can keep whatever they want out of the app store to keep their hegemony intact, but with a jailbroken phone one can download programs (such as vlc) that allow you to play avi files and not have to go through itunes. Granted it doesnt work too well. You can also change the interface around and have multitasking apps, emulators such MAME and NES, etc.

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle