Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #16
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
I hate that the companies like B&N force us to rely on a program they quit supporting years ago so that we can have physical access to books we bought, physical access we need in case the company either quits selling ebooks - like they did in England - or the company goes under.
I can remember when some of their books were not ready for the tablets yet and they said don't worry - you can read it on line. In fact, they pushed reading on line when they gave up on the older operating systems.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #17
edheil
edheil began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet running Cyanogenmod 7
Well crap. I came back and bought a Nook book with my settlement credit, figuring I'd de-DRM it like I always have in the past, only to find that neither Nook for Mac nor Nook Study will run on my Sierra machine. Sic transit gloria Nookie.

The Nook color tablet was my first tablet and my first e-reader. With Nook books now effectively imprisoned, I don't have any motivation to buy from them again.

Dammit B&N.
edheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #18
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by edheil View Post
Well crap. I came back and bought a Nook book with my settlement credit, figuring I'd de-DRM it like I always have in the past, only to find that neither Nook for Mac nor Nook Study will run on my Sierra machine. Sic transit gloria Nookie.

The Nook color tablet was my first tablet and my first e-reader. With Nook books now effectively imprisoned, I don't have any motivation to buy from them again.

Dammit B&N.
My experience is similar to yours. The very first tablet/eReader I bought was the Nook Color. I chose it for at least three reasons: I wanted to support an eBook 'underdog'; there is a brick-and-mortar B&N store just 45 minutes away from me; and, I heard that you could do something to it called "rooting". That, I heard, would allow me to install the Kindle app, too, and read eBooks from either provider (or Kobo, or whoever).

That was a few years ago. I gave the Color to a friend, but still have some fond feelings for it. But I agree that B&N seems to be going out of its way to make it hard for us to like them!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote