Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Are any Kindle accesories necessary?

A few months ago I was given a $30 Best Buy gift card.

This week Best Buy has sold the Kindle Basic at $20 off, lowering the price from $69 to $49.

So add tax and spend my gift card, and I ordered the Kindle for $23.

It arrived today. I don't see any point in spending much money on something that only cost $23. However, Amazon is offering Kindle accessories at 40% off. I got the coupon at no charge from Amazon Local.

So is there anything at 40% off that is worth getting to help a device that only cost me $23 to begin with?

Thanks!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Depends on if you want to protect your $23 investment, or if you want extra features. Personally, I really like a cover that turns the device on when opened, that is worth extra to me. I don't take my Kindle out of the house, so I really don't need a cover otherwise. I don't bother with screen protectors or anything else.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
A few months ago I was given a $30 Best Buy gift card.

This week Best Buy has sold the Kindle Basic at $20 off, lowering the price from $69 to $49.

So add tax and spend my gift card, and I ordered the Kindle for $23.

It arrived today. I don't see any point in spending much money on something that only cost $23. However, Amazon is offering Kindle accessories at 40% off. I got the coupon at no charge from Amazon Local.

So is there anything at 40% off that is worth getting to help a device that only cost me $23 to begin with?

Thanks!
You can get like $8 case for it or a sleeve. I agree I wouldn't spent alot on the Basic Kindle I use a Marware case I got for $17 which is discontinued but I love it. I also got a cheap $8 sleeve for my other one from ebay.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A case is of course the one essential accessory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I see you have a few ereaders. Do you use a case for them? The Kindle is going to be about the same, fragility-wise, as your other readers. And you might want to think of the value of the Kindle as $69 rather than $23, since that's what it would cost you to replace the Kindle if something happened to it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
They always have those deals. My K3 only goes in a case if it goes outside the house. Usually to drs. Then its in an elcheapo $3 case.

BTW the ones Amazon Selects are Expensive! Check around the Amazon web site Bet you will find a Nice case for Less than the ones offered!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-07-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I used a sleeve for my first Kindle Keyboard. It died from one too many falls (in the house no less) in about 9 months. Best Buy replaced it, I bought the leather lighted case... and it's still going strong. Moral of the story: GET A CASE!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
If they have it and you think it might be useful the Amazon case with light would be really handy. That's what I would get.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I find covers cumbersome, but my Kindle K3 lived in one of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And I bought the above for my new paperwhite. It gives it more grip and adds a little drop protection.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks, guys!

In regard to the case, they don't make it easy, as it seems like most of their cases and covers fit the Paperwhite rather than the Basic.

I think that I will also get a wall-charger. Do you think that this one will work?
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-W...hu-rd_add_1_dp
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes it will.

Then again, so will any of the hundreds of industry-standard micro-USB cables that come with pretty much any cell-phone you've bought in the last 5 years -- except for Apple of course -- as well as a number of other devices.

There is nothing special about the one that ships from Amazon, they just provide it to make sure you have one. Believe it or not, there are actually people out there who never had a cell-phone (or at least, a non-Apple cell-phone).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks, guys!

In regard to the case, they don't make it easy, as it seems like most of their cases and covers fit the Paperwhite rather than the Basic.

I think that I will also get a wall-charger. Do you think that this one will work?
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-W...hu-rd_add_1_dp
It's also known as a K4 try searching for that too. It should give you a few more options. The K4 charges pretty quickly you can uses almost any charger for it but even charging via USB it takes about 4 hours. It's a great little eReader. I own a silver one and a black one. The black or K4B is the better one it's improved when it comes to contrast. It has the black text and a less grey background.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've been using my Kindles with no case for years with never a problem. Well, I have a case for when I take it somewhere, but I do most of my reading at home and I've never used a case.

That changed a few months ago because I'd been reading at home with the Paperwhite with the case that I usually take with me. I decided I was comfortable with using a case at home too so I now have cases on all my Paperwhites. I still don't feel that they're needed. I just like having them.

Of course I live alone and have no pets. Someone without that situation might have a real need for a case.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Just because you got it for $23 doesn't mean that its not more valuable than what you paid for it. If you were given an Apple IPad Air, retina display 64GB as a gift, would you not bother getting an accessory to keep it nice for when you place it in your bag or drop it on the floor? I say get what you want for your Kindle. Harry is right... a cover is the best investment. Most standard phone/USB chargers work.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
wall charger. I made my own sleeve. You can probably buy a nice sleeve at Etsy. You can buy a cheap neoprene one at Target.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote