Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #10336
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Ok, a decidous tree, which goes through the seasonal cycles.
Yes, a deciduous tree.

Next question, please.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #10337
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
You owe me a new keyboard...

Stitchawl
Speaking of which, I spilled a whole mug of hot Rooibos over my keyboard this morning. With the help of my youngest, wielding a hairdryer, we managed to dry it out, and it seems to be fine. If it had been coffee...?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #10338
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Yes, a deciduous tree.

Next question, please.
I'm off to bed now (just gone 12:30am), so anyone who feels like posing a question, please go ahead.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #10339
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Since we're on the subject of riddles in verse, I just remembered a good riddle I recently read in a book. The book is written by a master in riddle-making.
Bonus question: what book and who wrote it.

Those of you who have read the book is of course automatically disqualified to participate!

How called the dwellers of Lyn-dun?
Great Homer's tale of Troy,
Or country of the midnight sun -
What doth all men Destroy?

Against it man hath dashed his foot,
This angel bears a spear!
In garden-glade where Lord Christ preyed
What spawns dark stars and fear?

This place the white Diana rose
Of this, Dido bereft;
Where on four leaves good fortune grows
East, west, south - what is Left?

The Corsican was vanquished there,
Oh, mother of all sin!
Find green the same as shiretown's name,
Find Newgate Gaol, and win!

Edit:
I suggest posting solutions in spoiler-tags since the solution might take some of the fun out of reading the book for those that haven't read it

Last edited by Iznogood; 12-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #10340
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
Since we're on the subject of riddles in verse, I just remembered a good riddle I recently read in a book. The book is written by a master in riddle-making.
Bonus question: what book and who wrote it.

Those of you who have read the book is of course automatically disqualified to participate!

Of this, Dido bereft;

Oh, mother of all sin!

Edit:
I suggest posting solutions in spoiler-tags since the solution might take some of the fun out of reading the book for those that haven't read it
Are there multiple answers or just one answer here?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #10341
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Since no-one's got anywhere with this, apparently, I'll write down all the things I can think of, and we'll see if anyone can make sense of it.

Illiad
Iceland?

Gethsemene

Of this, Dido bereft;
clover
North

Elba? Or Waterloo?
Oh, mother of all sin!
Eve
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #10342
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm impressed! You got further on this riddle than I did when I read the book. The title of the book will be revealed at the end of the quiz. I couldn't understand the meaning of the verse, so this is well done.

The answer to Bilbo's question is put in spoilers:
Spoiler:
You are quite right; every line holds a keyword. When you have found all the keywords, you will get a message (not an object or a thing like in the last riddles, but a message/sentence). This message is the correct answer to the quiz. But since this will likely be a quiz where others will build on pdurrants answers, let's say that the one who comes up with most of the correct keywords win the quiz.

-Homer's tale of Troy is the Illiad - correct
-But Iceland is not the country of the midnight sun
-Our Christ preyed in the Garden of Gethsemane - correct
-Good fortune comes from a four leaf clover, that is correct. But where does this belief come from? Where does the four leaf clover grow
-North is indeed the missing one here
-One of them is correct, but I think only one of them can be correctly discribed as "vanquished here"
-And yes, Eve is the mother of all sin - correct. Apparently, Adam was innocent as a lamb

Last edited by Iznogood; 12-04-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #10343
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Illiad
Norway?
Death?

Earth?
Azrael, who I think is the angel of death?
Gethsemene

Ephesus?
Of this, Dido bereft;
Love?
clover
North

Elba? Or Waterloo? I would say Waterloo.
Oh, mother of all sin!
Eve
Lincoln?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #10344
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Illiad
Norway?
Death?

Earth?
Azrael, who I think is the angel of death?
Gethsemene

Ephesus?
Of this, Dido bereft;
Love?
clover
North

Elba? Or Waterloo? I would say Waterloo.
Oh, mother of all sin!
Eve
Lincoln?
-Norway is indeed the country of the midnight sun - correct
-Death will all men destroy - correct
-Earth is almost correct, but it's the wrong word
-I cannot find any mention that Azrael bears a spear. This particular angel is not mentioned in the Bible, as far as I can tell from a quick google search, but he is mentioned in Paradise Lost, amongst others. He is not generally known
-Ephesus is correct, but not love
-Napoleon (The Corsican) was indeed vanquished at Waterloo in 1815
-Lincoln is correct. Could you explain? I don't get that one myself

pdurrant has 4 keywords
bookpossum has 5
There are six left, pluss finding the solution to the riddle
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #10345
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lincoln is a UK town. It's also the colour of the clothing Robin Hood is reputed to have worn "Lincoln Green".
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #10346
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Cockney?
Illiad
Norway
Death

Dirt?
Gethsemene
Night?

Ephesus
Of this, Dido bereft;
Aenaas?
[something to do with clover]
North

Waterloo.
Oh, mother of all sin!
Eve
Lincoln
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #10347
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I figure the clover one is referring to Ireland?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #10348
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Of this, Dido bereft; Life? (she did commit suicide, right?)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #10349
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Lincoln is a UK town. It's also the colour of the clothing Robin Hood is reputed to have worn "Lincoln Green".
And also Lincoln is in Lincolnshire, hence shire town.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #10350
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
And also Lincoln is in Lincolnshire, hence shire town.
Thanks for the explanation. I wouldn't have got that one without you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I figure the clover one is referring to Ireland?
Yes, the belief that a four leaf clover brings luck comes from Ireland, so we can say that luck on four leaves grows there

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Of this, Dido bereft; Life? (she did commit suicide, right?)
I think she did kill herself - and left life, there's no denying that. But she also left some other things - her home, for example (hint, hint)