Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Who makes the best pizza?
Italy (e.g. Da Michele, Brandi, Port’Alba) 3 9.68%
New York Elite (e.g. Di Fara, Lombardi, Joe's, Totonno, Patsy's, Grimaldi) 0 0%
New York Street (e.g. Bleecker Street, John's, Original Ray's) 5 16.13%
New Haven (e.g. Frank Pepe, Sally's Apizza, Modern Apizza) 1 3.23%
U.S. Artisanal (e.g. Kesté, Una Pizza Napoletana, Pizzeria Bianco, Great Lake) 0 0%
Chicago Deep Dish (e.g. Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, Pizzeria Uno, Giordano's) 4 12.90%
California Style (e.g. Wolf Gang Puck, Chez Panisse, Cheese Board Collective) 2 6.45%
Thin/Roman Style (e.g. Pizano's, Maria's, Imo's, Aurelio's, Donatos) 0 0%
Thick/Sicilian (e.g. Buddy's, L&B Spumoni Gardens, Sicilia's) 1 3.23%
Midwest Commercial (Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, Godfather's) 4 12.90%
West Coast Commercial (e.g. Shakey's, Strawhat, Round Table, Mountain Mike's) 1 3.23%
Other 10 32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Who makes the best pizza?

Here is a simple poll. Who makes the best pizza?

Every area has their favorite. I was born in California and lived there most of my life. I also lived in Illinois as a kid for several years. I lived in the South for several years. I've also lived on the East Coast for the last 15 years. So, I've had my share of different pizza styles.

My personal favorite is the West Coast Commercial style. I remember being a kid and going to Strawhat with my family. They usually had a movie screen playing Three Stooges shorts, and the pizza was great. As I got older I migrated over to Shakey's, Mountain Mike's, and Round Table. I love this style of pizza, and really miss it living on the East Coast.

It is quite a bit different than the pizza on the East Coast. The West Coast pizza is the perfect thickness. It is just thick enough to hold a good amount of toppings and cheese. It isn't too thin and floppy. It isn't too thick and bready. It has a very thin crisp layer at the bottom of the crust, and then a puffiness almost like a thin brioche to support the toppings. It is just perfect.

Here is a picture

Last edited by Daithi; 05-03-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where is the choice fot The blue one next to the fish?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I had a hard time choosing between NY street, which is the pizza I grew up on, and New Haven. But New Haven pizza really is more delicious.

Last edited by issybird; 05-03-2012 at 01:38 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll be having a pizza from The Roslindale House of Pizza on Sunday. I think a small meatball shall do fine.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Commercial outlet pizzas are generally rubbish - Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, Domino's all suck. I love the pizza from Pizza Q of Kennedy Town - that said not really a cuisine that is rabbidly covered here
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Dad. Although, he would probably qualify as "Italy."
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
lucasfernan89
Fanatic
lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle
My housemate. From the Italian part of Switzerland. Makes pizza and pasta to die for. Nothing beats fresh, home made dough!
lucasfernan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I cast my vote for Chicago Deep Dish, even though I have never eaten pizza from the associated establishments. It is just the closest to what I would rate as the best pizza I have ever had, the stuffed pizza at Zachary's Pizza. Originally a Berkeley, California pizza restaurant it is now a Bay Area wide chain.

As far as the two commercial chains listed, I would rather buy a frozen pizza from my local supermarket and bake that at home. At least it would be delivered hot from the oven.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
I confess that I have not eaten the majority of the pizzas on this list. There obviously must be some well-traveled pizza aficionados out there. Of the ones on this list, my vote goes to New Haven style 'ah-beets'. My favorite is LaRosa's, a Cincinnati, Ohio-based chain.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
DiGiorno?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
This will probably horrify most of you but my favourite pizzas are the ones my husband's golf club makes. Banana or strawberry. Or you can request half banana and half strawberry.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Eeewww! That as bad (worse?) as pineapple! Which happens to be a culinary delight here on the beautiful Sandwich Isles.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
This will probably horrify most of you but my favourite pizzas are the ones my husband's golf club makes. Banana or strawberry. Or you can request half banana and half strawberry.
I'm now living in Rhode Island, which is where "grilled pizza" was invented (at least in the States). It's actually pretty good. The owners of the Al Forno restaurant added it to their menu about 30 years ago, and it became pretty popular up here. A place called Bob & Timmy's is one of the better grilled pizza places, and they have a dessert grilled pizza that has berries (blueberries, raspberries & strawberries) with whipped cream cheese that is drizzled with a strawberry sauce. It's not what I would call "real" pizza, but it is really good.

Rhode Island also has a huge Italian population that still makes pizza like they did back in the old country (probably Sicily). It is absolutely nasty. It is often made in local bakeries, and is just a thick slab of bread with tomato sauce. They might grate a little cheese on top, but don't count on it. It is also almost always served cold. The locals rave about their "pizza strips" but it is just gross.

One of Rhode Island's most popular pizzeria's is Caserta's. Their pizza is about an inch thick and baked in a big square aluminum sheet -- just like pizza your grammar school served you. If you like the pizza you got back in school, you'd love this stuff. I'm not a big fan -- maybe I should eat it with one of those little cartons of milk.

Last edited by Daithi; 05-04-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Commercial outlet pizzas are generally rubbish - Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, Domino's all suck. I love the pizza from Pizza Q of Kennedy Town - that said not really a cuisine that is rabbidly covered here
Have you tried Dominoes since they redid their recipe?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
... pizza like they did back in the old country (probably Sicily). It is absolutely nasty.
I once had a friend who married a Sicilian woman, they once had us over for a traditional Sicilian meal. Glad I only had to do that once!