Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #16
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron scriba View Post
I'll tell you more once I find a way to convert them to a handier format.

and in the meantime, on another thread...

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...1AWB2RAb2Gmg3X
Markismus deserves far more beers than I do.

Last edited by EastEriq; 11-15-2021 at 03:21 PM. Reason: corrected link to Longman
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #17
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Back in 2012, Ronnie Steiner compiled an Eng-Eng dictionary based on Wiktionary. I think he also incorporated the Webster 1913 dictionary into it, as well. See the following thread to download it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=190769
Thanks a lot Rkomar! It took me a while to go through the whole thread, and I found it fascinating the way such an impressive and most likely (haven't installed it yet) great job evolved from a few thousand entries to the final 472.018.
I think it is almost exactly what I was looking for, served on a silver platter, already pb-compatible without any digital alchemy.

I think I owe you too a beer - and at least a twenty-pack to Ronny Steiner

P.S.: Seriously, EastEriq and Rkomar: should you plan to come near Munich at some point, send me a PM a few days earlier - I'd really enjoy a face-to-face confrontation with you in some historischen Brauerei
Chiron scriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:16 AM   #18
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CONFIRMED!

Just great!
I've installed the RS-Dictionary (En-En) by just moving it to the system/dictionaries directory of my Touch Lux and fumbling a little to deactivate the other craptionaries - and as if by magic I have now a real dictionary!

THANK YOU ALL!
Old 11-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #19
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
I've just updated the pocketbook dictionaries mentioned in the thread Pocketbook dictionary format revisited.

It's already mentioned! Didn't read far enough in the thread.
Thanks @EastEriq!
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:39 AM   #20
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Pocketbook's devices internal mechanism for dictionary usage
(work searching) is very poor.

Existence of great dictionaries that can be side-loaded is ruined
with cumbersome method for swiping to see any additional translations
which cannot be show all at once, so you have to swipe and wait for
picture to stabilise and regain clearity...

Do you have different experience with Pocketbook's distionary
usage during book reading ?
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:21 AM   #21
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
Pro: does have some form of support to handle conjugated/declinated words.
Con: only one dictionary can be active.

The small window is OK for short translations, bad for wictionaries.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #22
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirS View Post
Pocketbook's devices internal mechanism for dictionary usage
(work searching) is very poor.

Existence of great dictionaries that can be side-loaded is ruined
with cumbersome method for swiping to see any additional translations
which cannot be show all at once, so you have to swipe and wait for
picture to stabilise and regain clearity...

Do you have different experience with Pocketbook's distionary
usage during book reading ?
Actually not: after brief initial enthusiasm I had to conclude that the 'dictionary' is the most disappointing feature of my Touch Lux 3:

- It's slow and cumbersome

- Learning that "xquactioned" is the past participle of "xquaction" doesn't help much to understand what the hell it means.

- Trying to deepen the search takes forever and in most cases leads nowhere but to a string of expletives.

- When one eventually swallows his frustration and goes back to the book (provided that the firmware doesn't lead him elsewhere) he must go back a few pages and read them again to remember where he was.

All in all I'm getting nostalgic for the old, accursed, nosy Kindle where at least you could look up "apple" and learn at once that it's an edible fruit.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:27 PM   #23
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
For the record, here is the Jastrow "Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the Midrashic Literature" in he-en dict form, suitable for KOReader (https://kindleseforim.paritcher.com/) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Jastrow). In KOReader's dictionary viewer I see serious bidi issues, as I saw with the Vicons above, so I think they are an intrinsic flaw of KR. Compare for example the attached screenshot with the original dictionary page at https://www.tyndalearchive.com/TABS/Jastrow/

ETA: known KOReader issue: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9320
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S.png
Views:	36
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	207221   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr8.png
Views:	35
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	207222  

Last edited by EastEriq; 03-29-2024 at 03:50 AM. Reason: resized screenshots