Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #16
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah, the factory reset is last resort. Unfortunately, I don't see what else one can do if a reinstall doesn't work.

Note, you only need to install coplate's version. The KUAL Booklet from snapshots doesn't work on the PW4.

To be safe, I'd try:
  1. uninstall KUAL Booklet (NiLuJe)
  2. restart
  3. install KUAL coplate
  4. restart
Trying (little hopes, I have already done something really similar).

If I decide to go for the reset, then, let's suppose that it does not remove the jb, but only the hotfix.
Then how shall I proceed to apply the hotfix? With ;log mrpi again, or shall I put into /userstore/ and UYK?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Trying (little hopes, I have already done something really similar).

If I decide to go for the reset, then, let's suppose that it does not remove the jb, but only the hotfix.
Then how shall I proceed to apply the hotfix? With ;log mrpi again, or shall I put into /userstore/ and UYK?
The hotfix is always via UYK (yes, in /mnt/us/). Besides, I believe you need the hotfix in order for ;log mrpi to work.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-04-2019 at 05:20 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #18
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alright, I'll give it a go... :-|
Nothing else worked.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Alright, I'll give it a go... :-|
Nothing else worked.
Good luck. Hope it works.

Personally, I keep some of my Kindles on factory firmware or on jailbreakable firmware versions so I have a fallback.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
They (KUAL Booklet/coplate) shouldn't clash, but if you mix 'em up, yeah, I'd do a restart to avoid weird caching artefacts .

In any case, that should have no bearing on whether you actually *see* the KUAL 'book' or not, unless your database has gone seriously wonky.

Do you actually see a "KUAL.kual" file in the documents folder when you look at it over USB?

(And, yeah, RP/CRP doesn't support those devices, so, that's to be expected ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-04-2019 at 05:40 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Btw, found this, as unsuccessful:

Code:
[2019-01-04 @ 16:13:25 +0100] :: [MRPI r15539] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_crp_3.N_install.bin' (crp 3.N I) . . .

Package 'Update_crp_3.N_install.bin' (crp 3.N I) is not targeting your device [0PP vs. 11 0F 10 24 1B 1C 1D 1F 20 D4 5A D5 D6 D7 D8 F2 17 60 62 5F 61 C6 DD 13 54 53 2A 52 0G1 0G7 0G6 0G2 0G5 0G4 0KB 0KC 0LK 0LL 0KE 0KF 0GC 0GD 0GU 0GR 0GT 0K9 0KA], skipping . . . :(
Same for rp
Not a problem.

Both the KOA2 and the PW4 have the "Androidized" file system layout.
Neither RP nor CRP will work on that layout (no physical "Diags" partition).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #22
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
They (KUAL Booklet/coplate) shouldn't clash, but if you mix 'em up, yeah, I'd do a restart to avoid weird caching artefacts .

In any case, that should have no bearing on whether you actually *see* the KUAL 'book' or not, unless your database has gone seriously wonky.

Do you actually see a "KUAL.kual" file in the documents folder when you look at it over USB?

(And, yeah, RP/CRP doesn't support those devices, so, that's to be expected ).
I do. But it's 0 bytes
Old 01-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #23
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not a problem.

Both the KOA2 and the PW4 have the "Androidized" file system layout.
Neither RP nor CRP will work on that layout (no physical "Diags" partition).
Ok then. 2 less hacks to re-install. :P
Old 01-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #24
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Good luck. Hope it works.

Personally, I keep some of my Kindles on factory firmware or on jailbreakable firmware versions so I have a fallback.
Unfortunately, I only have one!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yeah, this is what I thought may have happened. Alas, I don't know of a way to fix the database short of a factory reset.

Is there a way to reset the database without doing a factory reset? I checked /mnt/us/system but only found the Search Indexes there.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #26
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

It worked!!!
The reset didn't wipe the jailbreak, I could install the hotfix, the MRPI and then the Kual (coplate's). And it executes!

I have now the WORLD to configure back to what it was, and the MOON to reinstall... but the jb made it!
So happy I didn't lost it, thanks guys!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, this is what I thought may have happened. Alas, I don't know of a way to fix the database short of a factory reset.

Is there a way to reset the database without doing a factory reset? I checked /mnt/us/system but only found the Search Indexes there.
All the tools are present.
All of the database files are SQL - which can be backed up and restore and ... Well, whatever you might want to do to them.

But someone would have to script the actions.
Since the actions would be scripted, it would be a good subject for a KUAL button or buttons.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #28
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
All the tools are present.
All of the database files are SQL - which can be backed up and restore and ... Well, whatever you might want to do to them.

But someone would have to script the actions.
Since the actions would be scripted, it would be a good subject for a KUAL button or buttons.
Which kind of script would you wrote?
I mean, take my case: we don't have any idea of what has been fu (I swear I was doing absolutely nothing)... Any fix would need a "debug", wouldn'it?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:04 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Which kind of script would you wrote?
I mean, take my case: we don't have any idea of what has been fu (I swear I was doing absolutely nothing)... Any fix would need a "debug", wouldn'it?
Not really, since it is a structured database.

It would take someone to keep a Kindle "in reserve" - that is, never put anything on it, update it with each Amazon image, copy what the "default" was at that time.
Or, maybe, do as you did, "reset" it after each image update.

That would be a master copy of what the database "recovery" image contains.

The database files would each contain everything an end-user script would need to review and repair any of the database files for the firmware versions our collection of "recovery" images contain.

Also, SQL has query commands to learn the schema and other metadata of each of the database files.

PLUS: This would not have to be done on a Kindle.

SQL is an interpretative programming interface (works unchanged on any machine - by design).
The database file structure is also "machine neutral", again by design.

And the Kindle comes with a choice of several interpretative programming languages.

- - - - -

You are interested in KOreader - did you by chance try to install KPVbooklet?
That is database Schema sensitive and the firmware you are trying to run it on is very new/recent, so most likely not supported by the current version(s).
Old 01-05-2019, 02:39 AM   #30
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Not really, since it is a structured database.

It would take someone to keep a Kindle "in reserve" - that is, never put anything on it, update it with each Amazon image, copy what the "default" was at that time.
Or, maybe, do as you did, "reset" it after each image update.

That would be a master copy of what the database "recovery" image contains.

The database files would each contain everything an end-user script would need to review and repair any of the database files for the firmware versions our collection of "recovery" images contain.

Also, SQL has query commands to learn the schema and other metadata of each of the database files.

PLUS: This would not have to be done on a Kindle.

SQL is an interpretative programming interface (works unchanged on any machine - by design).
The database file structure is also "machine neutral", again by design.

And the Kindle comes with a choice of several interpretative programming languages.

Yeah, I know SQL (I work for SAP), I just didn't think about keeping a "reference" Kindle with nothing on it just for reference purposes on this specific task. I am not used to such a commitment to the hacking cause.

Quote:
You are interested in KOreader - did you by chance try to install KPVbooklet?
That is database Schema sensitive and the firmware you are trying to run it on is very new/recent, so most likely not supported by the current version(s).
Never heard of it. I wouldn't say I am interested in KOReader: I keep it on the kindle as an emergency escape in case I need to read something I can't read in any other way, but it never happens. I prefer to always have the same reading experience, and Koreader requires me to do things differently: put the books on kindle manually instead of calibre, not picking up the cover as a screensaver and so on.
But, I would give KPVBooklet a try.
I have a cutover this morning, so nothing right now, but if you share a link, I will look at it... Or I simply will look for it this afternoon.
Or... were you implying that it might have broken my db???