Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #61
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The Sigil version should be nearly identical to the Chrome browser version (but it might be a few versions behind) for the most part. The network stuff is really only useful for epub3 remote resources, just like the javascript console is really only useful for epub3s that use javascript.

Yes a basic description of what a DOM tree is (a tree based parsing of their xhtml code in CodeView) would help but showing how to click on the tree to expand and collapse it to find the tags (nodes) of interest and where to look (for the selected tag) for the layout details height/width and where that tag/node inherits its css definitions from (especially important for cascading part of css) are probably the most important parts for most epub developers.

Then pointing people with external links for all of the rest of it in case they are interested.

That would be grand!

Last edited by KevinH; 02-20-2021 at 02:46 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #62
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
Got it. I am working on it.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #63
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Anything you can do to save file size without hurting things too much would be appreciated. [...]

Image processing is not my forte!
I compressed the PNGs from:

14.4MB->11.2MB

by running them through TruePNG. (The older compression tool made by the guy who created ScriptPNG + ScriptJPG, now known as pingo.)

It works by:
  • losslessly compressing the image
  • throwing away the Alpha if not needed
  • removing the metadata.

QoL Side Note: And while I was skimming through the images, I noticed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	toc-tooltip.png
Views:	243
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	185498

When presenting data in columns, it's best to follow these key rules:
  • Text = left-aligned
  • Numbers = right-aligned
    • Aligning on decimal if needed.
  • + Match headings with the data's alignment.

This allows your eyes to easily read/compare rows.

So this:

Code:
(Left) (Left)    (Left)
Level  Included  Hidden
h1     9         0
h2     52        0
h3     0         182
h4     0         61
h5     0         0
h6     0         0
would change to this:

Code:
(Left)  (Right)  (Right)
Level  Included  Hidden
h1            9       0
h2           52       0
h3            0     182
h4            0      61
h5            0       0
h6            0       0
(All "ones"/"tens"/"hundreds" align.)

Similar alignments can probably be used in other number-columns throughout Sigil.

I'm thinking:
  • Spellcheck List's "Count" column
  • The numbers in Tools > Reports

would be easier to read with right-alignment too.

Code:
File Size
vs.

Code:
File Size
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sigil.User.Guide.-.20210220_01.-.Compressed.Images.zip (10.95 MB, 117 views)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-20-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:42 PM   #64
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Hi Kevin,

Here’s the User Interface chapter.

I went through it line-by-line, attempting to make sure, to the best of my novice ability, that everything is up-to-date as of Sigil 1.5.0.

Note: I did the menus and toolbars in the order that they appear on the default interface with a clean install.

Let me know if I should keep going. I was thinking to take on Preferences next. Though if there are faster, more experienced Sigil users who want to jump in, that’s okay too

ETA: I just uploaded a new zip (User_Interface_v2.zip) with smaller PNGs (using tinypng.com).

Last edited by odamizu; 03-12-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: removed attachments now that User Guide is done
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #65
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wonderful! Thank you! I will integrate what you have created into the user guide.

Yes please do Preferences as well if you are willing.

Speed is not that important. The user guide desperately needed to be overhauled.

Take care,

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Hi Kevin,

Here’s the User Interface chapter.

I went through it line-by-line, attempting to make sure, to the best of my novice ability, that everything is up-to-date as of Sigil 1.5.0.

Note: I did the menus and toolbars in the order that they appear on the default interface with a clean install.

Let me know if I should keep going. I was thinking to take on Preferences next. Though if there are faster, more experienced Sigil users who want to jump in, that’s okay too
Advert
Old 02-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #66
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I have worked my way through the images from the master copy.
I have reduced the overall size from 13.8Mb down to 3.05Mb without sacrificing too much in the way of quality.

I have uploaded them to the Google Drive folder for you to have a look at.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #67
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Wow! Great work!

I will grab them later tonight when I have a free moment. I only have my ipad today so I can't do much.

Thank you!

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
I have worked my way through the images from the master copy.
I have reduced the overall size from 13.8Mb down to 3.05Mb without sacrificing too much in the way of quality.

I have uploaded them to the Google Drive folder for you to have a look at.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #68
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thanks. I will look into adding alignment to the table columns you mentioned but no numeric decimal alignment is available in Qt so it would have to be simulated by string conversion to fixed number of digits and right alignment.

That said, the alignment of the "tooltip" in the shown image is not easily changed or important as it is only a tooltip, not a real table.

Take care,

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I compressed the PNGs from:

14.4MB->11.2MB

by running them through TruePNG. (The older compression tool made by the guy who created ScriptPNG + ScriptJPG, now known as pingo.)

It works by:
  • losslessly compressing the image
  • throwing away the Alpha if not needed
  • removing the metadata.

QoL Side Note: And while I was skimming through the images, I noticed:

Attachment 185498

When presenting data in columns, it's best to follow these key rules:
  • Text = left-aligned
  • Numbers = right-aligned
    • Aligning on decimal if needed.
  • + Match headings with the data's alignment.

This allows your eyes to easily read/compare rows.

So this:

Code:
(Left) (Left)    (Left)
Level  Included  Hidden
h1     9         0
h2     52        0
h3     0         182
h4     0         61
h5     0         0
h6     0         0
would change to this:

Code:
(Left)  (Right)  (Right)
Level  Included  Hidden
h1            9       0
h2           52       0
h3            0     182
h4            0      61
h5            0       0
h6            0       0
(All "ones"/"tens"/"hundreds" align.)

Similar alignments can probably be used in other number-columns throughout Sigil.

I'm thinking:
  • Spellcheck List's "Count" column
  • The numbers in Tools > Reports

would be easier to read with right-alignment too.

Code:
File Size
vs.

Code:
File Size
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #69
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:
That said, the alignment of the "tooltip" in the shown image is not easily changed or important as it is only a tooltip, not a real table.
It's a tooltip with a table, so it can be done

EDIT: The reports will also work.

Code:
size_item->setTextAlignment(Qt::AlignRight);
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil-reports-file-size-align-right.png
Views:	110
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	185509  

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 02-21-2021 at 01:40 PM.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #70
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post

[...]

Code:
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #71
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Pull Requests that I can merge would be much welcomed. Or even posting a diff or patch and pming me a link would work.

Quote:

Code:

Last edited by KevinH; 02-21-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #72
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I just uploaded a new zip file (User_Interface_v2.zip) with smaller PNGs. Reduced the total from 2.6 MB to 637 KB. Hopefully that is meaningful. You can grab it from my original post above.

I will move on to Preferences!

Quote:
Wonderful! Thank you! I will integrate what you have created into the user guide.

Yes please do Preferences as well if you are willing.

Speed is not that important. The user guide desperately needed to be overhauled.

Take care,

Kevin
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:25 PM   #73
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Great! Thank you! I will grab everything this evening when I get to a desktop or my laptop computer. All I have access to now is an ipad.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I just uploaded a new zip file (User_Interface_v2.zip) with smaller PNGs. Reduced the total from 2.6 MB to 637 KB. Hopefully that is meaningful. You can grab it from my original post above.

I will move on to Preferences!
Old 02-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #74
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thank you so much for the PR. I have merged it just now!

Kevin

Quote:

Code:
Old 02-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #75
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
I have finished the tutorial on how to use the Inspector tool. The files have been zipped into the attached zip file.

All the file names begin with "tutorial_inspector" for consistency. There is one html file and 22 images.

I designed the page to go under the Tutorials page.

I created the page inside of the Sigil user manual, so if you unzip the files and import them into the manual, it should all work. I placed the chapter at the end of the tutorial section, but feel free to place it anywhere you want it.

Also, feel free to edit as needed.

Let me know if you have any problems with it, and I will fix them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tutorial_inspector.zip (1.01 MB, 104 views)
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote