Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #91
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Bigger screen! My eyes aren’t getting any better. Hopefully it will make PDFs readable (I currently only view PDFs on iPad). I also like to highlight and annotate notes as I read for technical books. I rarely review my notes, but I think the process helps me absorb the material.
The notebook feature combined with the lag of the stylus are definitely a step below the iPad with Apple Pencil, but I can see myself using it on occasions when my iPad isn’t around. I am not purchasing for this feature.

Last edited by jmmcg9; 06-11-2021 at 11:57 AM.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #92
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
It's interesting that so many people are enamored of larger screens now; perhaps you live in manses with vast views. I inhabit an 800-square-foot condo and my music studio is a miniature of what it once was, so my device habits follow suit.

If eink screens were more fluid and adapted better to motion, perhaps I'd be fiending to manipulate a PDF of a large image on an Elipsa. But I've pared down my life deliberately and have been savoring smaller screens more than ever -- particularly still ones.

It's possible I'll get an Elipsa if it there's a fire sale someday, but I might have to move first and perhaps get a long banquet table -- the sort where Powell and Loy used to side-face each other while pretending to be hung over and baffled by their newspaper sections over twelve-course breakfasts.

We'll see. It will probably be another two years before I think about selling and moving.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-12-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #93
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Yes, 10" is enormous. I recommend you don't get one unless you own an aircraft hangar or a large warehouse. I use a 7.8 and it's still a squeeze in my palatial mansion.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #94
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally I think 10" is too large to hold for casual reading. It's only useful for pdf. 7.8 is the sweet spot.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #95
ottischwenk
Suspended
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 4, Tolino 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Let me try Google translate:

Dein Beitrag war ein Thread Furz.
You seem to have problems with Google Translate, but it's easy - write something useful on the left side, then you'll find a usable article on the right side.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:46 PM   #96
ottischwenk
Suspended
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think our confusion is that last paragraph. Is this saying that you won't be purchasing one since it IS a Kobo, or that others will purchase it since it IS a Kobo?
Quite simply: both, the former being certain, while the latter is only a guess
Old 06-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #97
ottischwenk
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Personally I think 10" is too large to hold for casual reading. It's only useful for pdf. 7.8 is the sweet spot.
Not even that - it's only useful for longer reading distance.

Since 10, 3 inch screens have the same number of pixels as 7.8s, you see exactly the same when using the 7.8 at 76% distance.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #98
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
You seem to have problems with Google Translate, but it's easy - write something useful on the left side, then you'll find a usable article on the right side.
Your Gogle Translate appears to be different than mine. Mine does a straight translation and doesn't provide any related article. And it doesn't appear to make any judgement about the usefulness on the left side.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #99
ottischwenk
Suspended

Quote:
Your Gogle Translate appears to be different than mine. Mine does a straight translation and doesn't provide any related article. And it doesn't appear to make any judgement about the usefulness on the left side.
Please try to make your statement logically correct - either my google Translate is crazy, or your post is.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-11-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:17 PM   #100
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Please try to make your statement logically correct - either my google Translate is crazy, or your post is.

Hopefully you'll understand this simple post.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #101
ottischwenk
Suspended

Quote:

Hopefully you'll understand this simple post.
of course - you try very hard to contribute at least a little to the topic.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #102
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Not even that - it's only useful for longer reading distance.

Since 10, 3 inch screens have the same number of pixels as 7.8s, you see exactly the same when using the 7.8 at 76% distance.
No, 10" in landscape is optimum to read full pdf for me. 7.8 is doable.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:41 PM   #103
ottischwenk
Suspended

Quote:
Do the same with 7.8 and hold the device at a distance of 76% - then there is no difference.
And that can be proven physically.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:14 PM   #104
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Do the same with 7.8 and hold the device at a distance of 76% - then there is no difference.
And that can be proven physically.
For most people, their comfortable reading distance (the Harmon distance) is 30 to 36 cm so holding their 7.8" device between 23.4 and 28.1 cm away is not going to be as comfortable.

For me, my reading glasses are such that when my eyes are relaxed (for normal vision, that would be focused at infinity), the actual focal distance is 34.3cm. Sadly, moving what I am reading to 26.75cm means that my eyes are no longer relaxed and focusing on the page takes effort.

So there is a difference and one that can lead eyestrain, headaches, etc.

See presbyopia.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #105
ottischwenk
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For most people, their comfortable reading distance (the Harmon distance) is 30 to 36 cm so holding their 7.8" device between 23.4 and 28.1 cm away is not going to be as comfortable.

For me, my reading glasses are such that when my eyes are relaxed (for normal vision, that would be focused at infinity), the actual focal distance is 34.3cm. Sadly, moving what I am reading to 26.75cm means that my eyes are no longer relaxed and focusing on the page takes effort.

So there is a difference and one that can lead eyestrain, headaches, etc.
I don't know how it is for most people, but my ~ 8 inch devices distance is about 40 cm, and 10, 3 I use as piano notes among other things - 13.3 inches I use even further away.
10, 3 inches at 40 cm distance is uncomfortable for me.
6 inches I use at~ 30 cm distance.
And wherever I see people reading on electronic devices, I see - as I do - a reading distance of about twice the screen diagonal.

And about your eyes: a distance setting to infinity does not fit the viewing distance of 34.3 cm from 2 different directions (distance of the two eyes) - some factor is strained excessively.