Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Concept: Kindle Trek, a Mini Voyage

I've been reading on smaller PDAs and smartphones for a decade, but last year finally got a kindle (non touch black). I do love eink, but I'm not a fan of going from a 3.5"-4.7" readers to a 6" reader with massive bezels. I demand both buttons (or something very much like them, Voyage's sensors will probably suffice) and a light. So I did a little mockup of a handier Voyage. Let me know if you find it interesting at all.

In addition to a smaller screen vs the Voyage, I've also chopped off 3 out of the 4 bezels, leaving one to control page turns and hold the device with. A smaller footprint changes the weight distribution in a manner friendlier to one-handed readers. An accelerometer allows the device to be held in either the left or right hand, reorienting the screen accordingly.

I moved the light sensor to the outside edge from the top so that no matter which hand it's being held in, it's getting a more consistent angle on ambient light than if it were being flipped around from top to bottom. There are also two page back buttons so that no matter which hand you use, you can also reach up (or down if you prefer) to turn the page and not have to look for the button.

I suspect that to shrink the footprint this much without losing battery life, the device would have to be thicker, which I welcome. It might also create an opportunity to craft a soft, rounded edge and back, not unlike what Motorola has done with its acclaimed Moto X ergonomics. It should be light, but the Trek need not be anorexic.

I haven't cared much about the Voyage's impressive pixel density. My old basic Kindle's terrible density looks stunningly better than the same density would on a transmissive (LCD, OLED) screen. But that's at relatively large font sizes that work pretty well with how I hold my big kindle. For those of us with young eyes at least, the finer fonts this new tech is capable of rendering could find a nicer showcase in a mini Voyage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindlevoyagemini.png
Views:	1674
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	130021  
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Interesting. I don't mind the 5", but I would need finer gradiations in the larger font sizes and finer line spacing adjustments for these older eyes.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Great ideas. I've been thinking along similar lines for years. (Narrower and thicker pocketable PDA form factor)

The added thickness could also allow even narrower by putting the buttons on the side of the reader (as opposed to the side of the front face).

I also think D-rings are under appreciated.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both for checking it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The added thickness could also allow even narrower by putting the buttons on the side of the reader (as opposed to the side of the front face).
Did you ever see the Galaxy Note Edge where the screen curves down on one side? I've wondered if a slight curve could set even sensor-buttons like these off from the screen in a useful way. There are some advantages to squeezing screen-side down instead of side-to-side, in that you don't have to wrap your fingers from one end to the other, so more holding positions work. If you read lying down and hold the device up, have arthritis or have small hands, it's nice to have options in how you hold a reader.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
Or Kindle proper book Voyage, 8-9 inches, in which students can read books and see illustrations and graphs easily.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I do like the idea of a wide bezel on one side only and having it reversible.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Good idea. They should do one side bezel with the larger screen too.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
Marseille
Guru

I'm sensing a pattern. You guys like big books (and you cannot lie). I'm out of step with size trends in the smartphone market too.

I very much appreciate the feedback
Old 10-25-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
I have two kobo minis and use them when I need portability. So, yeah a mini Voyage would be cool, I would buy one...
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:50 AM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer the smaller-sized ereaders when I'm reading in bed, since they are lighter to hold. I tend to read lying on my side, and the larger the ereader is, and more importantly if it is an LED screen, the more clunky it is to hold in that position.

My problem with the ereaders that I've had is that while they do a great job in providing small sized fonts natively, when it comes to the larger sizes they usually run: slightly larger than medium, huge, and blind-as-a-bat - and all with large empty margins. I tend to read urban fantasy, I don't need empty margins for notes. That's why I've been reading lately on third-party ereader software programs, because they allow me to really fine-tune the display to suit my eyes.

A 5" ereader that I could really customize and hold in one hand while reading at night would be great. I always really notice the change in the weights when I switch off between reading on the Fire HDX or Nook HD vs. the Sony T1 or 350.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I prefer the smaller-sized ereaders when I'm reading in bed, since they are lighter to hold.
This is the major time I feel the weight and weight distribution of my K4 + case. And I read every single night, often at length. One of the things I've thought about doing is getting a flygrip to ease the weight distribution issue. But even if it works (I'm not 100% sure it will adhere well to my leather case), it'll still be a an unfortunate stopgap.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I use a FlipStands Mini to prop up my Fire HDX on the bedside table when I'm using it as a TV:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It could probably be used when sitting up in bed, too. It provides more angle adjustments that the cover I use for the HDX and it is sturdier, too.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
LOL I use a $2 pic frame stand when using my HD for watching movies hehehe
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Yeah, but mine looks cooler!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #15
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Good idea. They should do one side bezel with the larger screen too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I do like the idea of a wide bezel on one side only and having it reversible.
Looks like we at least get the reversible one sided-bezel with the Oasis. It's probably just wishful thinking, but sometimes when I look at those images it looks like a smaller footprint too.