Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Sage Case options

Proud owner of a new (well, slightly-used) Kobo Sage. Currently it's sitting naked in a tablet sleeve, but I'm considering getting a case for it. However, I really like how it feels in the hand, and I'm worried the case might add too much heft to make it comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

I have a Clara HD and the official Sleepcover case, and I've noticed that the Clara HD w/case feels heavier than the naked Sage, despite the size difference. So I do worry about how much weight a standard sleepcover case might add (won't even consider the Powercover).

Can anyone with a Sage offer their experience? Is it still comfortable to hold with a standard snap-case? Or am I better off just using a sleeve?

Thanks!

(As an aside, am I crazy, or do the Sage page-turn buttons fail to register like every tenth button press?)
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I worried some about the extra weight of the Sage, because I always use a case. I opted for the official magnetic case and while it is heavier than my Forma, it's not bad. I might not hold it for extremely long periods, but my spine doesn't allow me to SIT for long periods in the first place.

For reference, I broke both wrists in 2018, have suffered from some chronic tendinitis in my right arm (I'm right-handed.) after a work-related repetitive stress injury a couple decades ago and am in my 60s.

But comfort is so relative, I don't know if that's a help or not. I also have the option of switching to the lighter Forma at need. And I keep a handy reader stand on my kitchen table, so if I do get tired, I set the reader in that.

One thing nice about the official cover, it's pretty easy to get the device in and out of the case, though the magnets are strong enough so that I've had no worries that it will come out without intervention. I personally prefer a case at all times. But that might give you both worlds.

My Sage buttons do fail to register sometimes, haven't noticed how often. I use them sometimes, but am just as likely to use a quick screen tap or swipe. So no, you aren't crazy.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The Sage with cover isn’t terrible though I prefer it without a cover. I’ve no ailments which would hinder me holding it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I bought a simple KWMobile folio case. About €14. I pop it out (from the fat side) If I'm reading for a long period.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I have a Clara HD and the official Sleepcover case, and I've noticed that the Clara HD w/case feels heavier than the naked Sage, despite the size difference. So I do worry about how much weight a standard sleepcover case might add (won't even consider the Powercover)
I put together a small list for comparison, showing the total weight (reader + sleepcover) for some of the Kobo devices. The Clara HD with cover (266g) is indeed slightly heavier then the naked Sage (241g). With the powercover, the Sage would weigh almost twice as much as your Clara.

Display Size - Model: Total Weight (Weight reader + Weight cover)

10" - Kobo Elipsa: 752g (380g + 372g)

8" - Kobo Aura One: 368g (230g + 138g)
8" - Kobo Forma: 330g (197g + 135g)
8" - Kobo Sage: 402g (241g + 161g) - Sleepcover
8" - Kobo Sage: 503g (241g + 262g) - Powercover

7" - Kobo Aura H2O*1: 362g (231g + 131g)
7" - Kobo Libra H2O: 299g (192g + 107g)
7" - Kobo Libra 2: 338g (215g + 123g)

6" - Kobo Clara HD: 266g (166g + 100g)

Last edited by kyôdai; 06-29-2022 at 05:17 PM.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
I put together a small list for comparison, showing the total weight (reader + sleepcover) for some of the Kobo devices. The Clara HD with cover (266g) is indeed slightly heavier then the naked Sage (241g). With the powercover, the Sage would weigh almost twice as much as your Clara.

Display Size - Model: Total Weight (Weight reader + Weight cover)

10" - Kobo Elipsa: 752g (380g + 372g)

8" - Kobo Aura One: 368g (230g + 138g)
8" - Kobo Forma: 330g (197g + 135g)
8" - Kobo Sage: 402g (241g + 161g) - Sleepcover
8" - Kobo Sage: 503g (241g + 262g) - Powercover

7" - Kobo Aura H2O*1: 362g (231g + 131g)
7" - Kobo Libra H2O: 299g (192g + 107g)
7" - Kobo Libra 2: 338g (215g + 123g)

6" - Kobo Clara HD: 266g (166g + 100g)
Please redo this list listing which cover is being used. Other then the power cover, we don't know what other covers are being used? Covers do vary in weight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please redo this list listing which cover is being used. Other then the power cover, we don't know what other covers are being used? Covers do vary in weight.
The numbers refer to the official Kobo sleepcovers from Kobo. (I thought this was obvious). There is usually only one of them per model, in different colors...

Third party covers might have other weights, yes.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:46 AM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
The numbers refer to the official Kobo sleepcovers from Kobo. (I thought this was obvious). There is usually only one of them per model, in different colors...

Third party covers might have other weights, yes.
Seemed obvious to me as well. I also doubt that the official covers vary in weight when more than one style is available for a device, I think the Libra 2 has a non origami cover and of course the origami cover.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:19 PM   #9
gforgiraffe39935
Enthusiast
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
Kobo Sage - without cover - 240 g
Kobo Sage - with cover (kwmobile orgami case) - 382 g

Without a cover, the Kobo Sage is easy to hold and weighs less than Nook GL4 with standard B&N GL4 cover (=269 g).

With a cover, the Kobo Sage is only 50 g more than Kindle PW5 with Amazon's standard Kindle 11th gen/PW5 fabric cover.

However, the form factor of the Sage makes it comfortable to hold, even with extra weight from third-party hard cases which range from $13-$16 USD and have magnets that put the device to sleep.

I have not and will not purchase a battery cover since we have many portable battery packs already that are 8,000 maH or higher.

(Aside: yes, the buttons do not reliably turn pages. I do not use them because of this and my thumb is too short to span the distance. I tap the screen, which is also not reliable and/or slower than PW5 and Nook GL4. Still...we are going to keep it for graphic novels, which are too hard to read on PW5 6.8" screen.)
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I find the original Libra has the switch under the curved outer end of the buttons and that the Sage has the switch absolutely in the middle.

Mostly if I press in the middle it's OK. Very occasionally nothing happens. So far I find 4.32.x the best FW, better than 4.33.x or 4.31.x versions.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, sage, sleepcover