Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Internal Clock

I just updated to the latest firmwware. I was able to set the date/clock under settings. Is there a way to "quickly" check the time while reading?
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsheets View Post
I just updated to the latest firmwware. I was able to set the date/clock under settings. Is there a way to "quickly" check the time while reading?

The Lbook firmware has the option of displaying the time in CoolReader's status bar. The Astak clock setting application looks exactly like the Lbook clock setting application, but Astak somehow seems to have forgotten to make the clock information useful while reading. At least I could not find an item for the option in Astak's CoolReader. I went back to the Lbook firmware, since I often read myself to sleep at night and it is very convenient to just glance at the CoolReader status bar to see what time it is. I do need to remember that the clock information is only accurate just after a page turn, since the status bar does not change at any other time.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
ASTAK firmware is based on JINKE firmware and it uses FBReader not CoolReader.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
ASTAK firmware is based on JINKE firmware and it uses FBReader not CoolReader.

You had me thinking that I was a bit looney there for a second. SO, I went to the source code package to verify what I was seeing when reading FB2 on the Hanlin V5 (PocketPRO). The Hanlin source code package contains only CoolReader for a generic reader. There is no FBReader source code that I can find in the Jinke/Hanlin source code package. On the V5 the FB2 reader looks like CoolReader and acts like CoolReader, so I just assumed it was CoolReader. The source code package seems to confirm that?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Good suggestion for the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The Lbook firmware has the option of displaying the time in CoolReader's status bar. The Astak clock setting application looks exactly like the Lbook clock setting application, but Astak somehow seems to have forgotten to make the clock information useful while reading. At least I could not find an item for the option in Astak's CoolReader. I went back to the Lbook firmware, since I often read myself to sleep at night and it is very convenient to just glance at the CoolReader status bar to see what time it is. I do need to remember that the clock information is only accurate just after a page turn, since the status bar does not change at any other time.
Dear all:

This is the feedback that really helps. Let me bring this to the factory's attention and see what they can do.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear all:

This is the feedback that really helps. Let me bring this to the factory's attention and see what they can do.
the V3 already displays the time on FB2 files but for some reason they excluded it in the V5. People should be aware that the time is only updated when the page is changed. It could certainly be added to other formats, in the banner.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Clock to be visual in status bar

Dear All:

The factory told me last night that they can put the clock into the status bar when you read!! It will be down around the battery charge icon.

Look for a new firmware upgrade within two weeks to accomplish this!!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Robertb:

That is why my wife and I both use your product. Astak rules!
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
The factory told me last night that they can put the clock into the status bar when you read!! It will be down around the battery charge icon.

Look for a new firmware upgrade within two weeks to accomplish this!!
Please ask the, Robert, if that applies to ALL file formats/readers, or just some? I know this is easily possible with FB files, but it would be REALLY nice to have this with EPUB files as well!!!

An epub/ADE status bar with battery level, time and current/total page count (as an OPTION) is a high desire amongst a lot of folks. (Obviously, some won't want it, so making it an option is a good idea, but I've 'heard' quite a few other folks request this for ePubs, also.)

Thanks!
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post

An epub/ADE status bar with battery level, time and current/total page count (as an OPTION) is a high desire amongst a lot of folks. (Obviously, some won't want it, so making it an option is a good idea, but I've 'heard' quite a few other folks request this for ePubs, also.)

Thanks!
Seconded.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #11
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
+1
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
I also second that motion! OR, an option menu selection to make CoolReader the default for reading EPUB files. ADE is the reason that I have gone back to using only FB2 book files on the PocketPRO. I still use EPUB on my V3 running OpenInkpot, but because of ADE I do not use EPUB on the PocketPRO. If Jinke can not easily modify Adobe's ADE, they could at least allow for CoolReader to be selected as the default reader for EPUB if the user so desires?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
Robertb

Copied your entire post

Quote:
I also second that motion! OR, an option menu selection to make CoolReader the default for reading EPUB files. ADE is the reason that I have gone back to using only FB2 book files on the PocketPRO. I still use EPUB on my V3 running OpenInkpot, but because of ADE I do not use EPUB on the PocketPRO. If Jinke can not easily modify Adobe's ADE, they could at least allow for CoolReader to be selected as the default reader for EPUB if the user so desires?
Dear Dave_S:

I have copied your entire post and will send to the factory tonight.

Thank you all for the feedback that the visual clock in the status bar on EPUB is a high concern.

We appear to finally be actually emailing to the engineer head himself and no longer thru the front person. They seem to be very receptive so let us see.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Dear Dave_S:

I have copied your entire post and will send to the factory tonight.

Thank you all for the feedback that the visual clock in the status bar on EPUB is a high concern.

We appear to finally be actually emailing to the engineer head himself and no longer thru the front person. They seem to be very receptive so let us see.

Thank you, Robert.
I assumed that there may be licensing or contractual difficulties in changing the look and feel of Adobe's ADE, but the alternative suggestion to allow the personal preference of CoolReader for EPUB should be technically simple and free from any licensing issues with Adobe. That along with making the clock time available in the CoolReader status bar should make some of us happier campers.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thank you, Robert.
I assumed that there may be licensing or contractual difficulties in changing the look and feel of Adobe's ADE, but the alternative suggestion to allow the personal preference of CoolReader for EPUB should be technically simple and free from any licensing issues with Adobe. That along with making the clock time available in the CoolReader status bar should make some of us happier campers.
While a few might be happy with CoolReader it would not solve the problem for many people and would introduce confusion in that CoolReader is not nearly as robust in interpreting CSS so many books would not be formatted correctly and CoolReader will not read any ePUBs with DRM. People would complain and it would be more difficult to support without knowing which reader they were using. An optional banner is the preferred solution. I was added for PDF at one point although Jinke seems to think they always know the correct solution, whichever way they decide, and have never made it a user option.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote