Notices

Old 11-08-2023, 12:06 PM   #1
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast
Pachuqismo began at the beginning.

Device: SM-T820, Galaxy S7
Click-fatigue : toolbar shortcut to 'compress images'

Hi there,

I've only recently become aware of the (also) excellent 'Edit book' feature of compressing images (losslessly or lossy). It does a wonderful job and I apply it to many of my existing books, which I have the following questions:

Anyone knows of shortcuts to:

- go 'Edit books...' -> 'Edit book' -> 'Compress images'
- process several books in one go

An additional feature request is to initially select to go ahead with save and close of the editor.

May not sound as much but since the operation for bigger files takes a fairly long time it would be a time saver to quickly initiate the compression for several books at a time - and then go and have cup of coffee...

Cheers!

Last edited by Pachuqismo; 11-08-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Pachuqismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the polish books tool which allows you to losslessly compress images in books by bulk. You can add it via preferences->toolbars & menus
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast

@kovidgoyal

Thank you for your response - I am aware of the Polish tool and have been using it so far (I should probably have mentioned that). For many of my big-size books (e.g. travel guides) I can reduce them to half with lossy 'Compress images' and I see no difference in the images. I reckon I can reduce my Calibre database significantly but it is tedious to do one by one...
Old 11-08-2023, 08:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah well there is no bulk lossy compress tool I'm afraid, sorry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast

For anyone ending up here, I'd like to say that the

'Edit books...' -> 'Edit book' -> 'Compress images'

for lossy at 80% does a remarkable job based on its feature for visual before & after comparision done on a big screen. If in doubt, check it out on (e.g.) a travel guide that - these days - often are close to 300 MB
Advert