Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #1
RenniePet
RenniePet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Edit E-book program crashes

Hope this is the correct place to post this problem.

In calibre, if I right-click on "EPUB" below the picture of my cover and select "Edit EPUB format" an empty window is briefly shown and then disappears.

The same happens if I use Windows Start and select "calibre 64-bit - Ebook Management" and then "Edit E-book 64-bit" (I assume this is the same program), again an empty window briefly flashes on the screen and then disappears.

The program did work once or twice a week or two ago, but now it always crashes.

My PC runs Windows 10 and is updated.

One possible source of glitches is that I have 4 displays on the PC.

Any suggestions? I would like to use this program to analyze why the format of my e-book (a conversion from Word .docx) is not quite right in certain situations.
RenniePet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:28 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is it crashing or is it hiding off the edge of one of those four monitors. If you can see it in Task Manager try cascading the windows (right click taskbar option)

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2023, 10:57 PM   #3
RenniePet

It is crashing - it shows up momentarily in Task Manager and then disappears.

Strangely, it worked fine when I first started it just now. But when I stopped it, and tried to restart it, it crashed, and several more attempts to restart it also crashed.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:01 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Does it work if you reboot in safe mode? Are there any entries in Event Viewer? What video card are you using? There have been issues with QT and various video cards/drivers.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #5
RenniePet

Today it's working fine! (Of course ...)

The video card is an AMD FirePro W4100 from about 7 years ago.

I do also have a problem with Firefox, it tries to show its previous windows when started, and always fails and shows a screen with a button "Restore previous session". So I click that button, and then it works. Firefox apparently needs to "settle down" with one window before it's able to restore its windows to the four screens.

As for Event Viewer, I'll take a look the next time the Edit E-book program fails.
Advert
Old 09-12-2023, 10:54 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is something odd about your system. FF is very stable.
Are your user settings shadowed on a remote (cloud, NAS) drive?
You might want to perform a System File Check
Code:
sfc /scannow
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:44 PM   #7
RenniePet

Thanks to those who tried to help. The problem has gone away - hopefully permanently.

As for my setup, one thing I didn't mention is that I'm using a program called UltraMon, which I installed when the PC was new seven years ago. I can't even remember why. I must have paid for it, as it's apparently not a free program.

Anyway, thanks again. calibre is an awesome program.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:36 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
After reading up on it I'd uninstall Ultramon if it was my PC.
I've used multiple monitors (and projectors) on Windows from NT 4.0 to Win10, maybe over 25 years, and never needed such a utility. I admit that sometimes Windows is awkward for that, but can always be sorted.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:02 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I see no use for UltraMon.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:36 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I've had as many as 4 Monitors on my system. Standard Windows does well.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote