Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-04-2023, 02:40 PM   #1
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
smarten punctuation in file preview of tag-editor

I just noticed the 'file preview' of the 'tag editor' does not respond to 'smarten punctuation.' I was specifically looking at Verdana font with left-leaning and right-leaning double-quotes and single-quotes. The main editor body shows the lean after 'smarten punctuation' but the 'file preview' does not. Am I correct in this? It is no biggy; I just happened to notice it. Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2023-09-04 13-37-51.png
Views:	83
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	203562  
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
As far as I can see in your image, both sides are using the curly/curved quotation marks. The font is a sans-serif but a different font so the quotation marks are correct but look different. What fonts do you have selected in the Editor preferences for the preview?

Edit: I went back and dug out a screen capture of opening and closing double curly quotes in various fonts on Windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sans_serif_quotes2.png
Views:	56
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	203565  

Last edited by DNSB; 09-04-2023 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Edit: added image
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2023, 07:35 AM   #3
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What fonts do you have selected in the Editor preferences for the preview?
It is all Verdana. I set Verdana in 'preferences' for tag editor font and preview font. Verdana has left-leaning and right-leaning quotes.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
“quote” double prime 6″ and typewriter/programming "
‘quote’ single prime 6′ and typewriter/programming '
symbol for accents ` ie. sìde (Scottish for Sidhe, pronounced shee).

Indeed it has. ^^^ Verdana, if your browser has it.

I can’t say I’ve seen any issue.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
It is all Verdana. I set Verdana in 'preferences' for tag editor font and preview font. Verdana has left-leaning and right-leaning quotes.
I would have to disagree. The quotes you are showing in the preview are curly quotes but they are not Verdana curly quotes. If you have indeed set the preview font to Verdana in the editor preferences, something is rather wrong. I've attached an image of a page in the calibre e-book editor preview in Verdana and the quotes seem to match what Verdana shows elsewhere.

"This is straight quotes in Verdana"
“This is curly quotes in Verdana”
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	verdana_preview.png
Views:	51
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	203575   Click image for larger version

Name:	e-book_editor_preferences.png
Views:	44
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	203576  
Advert
Old 09-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #6
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The quotes you are showing in the preview are curly quotes but they are not Verdana curly quotes.
The fonts in the two panes on the original screenshot are obviously different.

Look at the lowercase “Y”...on the left, it has a straight tail, and on the right, it is curly. There are other differences, but that should be visible to anybody.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:22 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The file preview will use whatever the most up to date text is in the code editor, with a delay of a couple of seconds. That includes quotes. If you are unsure that a change has registered you can click the refresh button below the preview to force it to re-load.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:35 PM   #8
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

Quote:
If you are unsure that a change has registered you can click the refresh button below the preview to force it to re-load.
Thanks for that. I did try a reload.

Quote:
the quotes seem to match what Verdana shows elsewhere.
Yes, they do indeed match and this is what I cannot get.

Quote:
Look at the lowercase “Y”...on the left, it has a straight tail, and on the right, it is curly.
I just saw it. It's a different verdana or something. Are there two kinds of verdana? I cannot find the solution. It is no biggee, though, I would like to learn to use fonts better. Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2023-09-06 19-25-46.png
Views:	38
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	203600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2023-09-06 19-24-23.png
Views:	37
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	203601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2023-09-06 19-23-46.png
Views:	35
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	203602  
Old 09-06-2023, 09:43 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I just saw it. It's a different verdana or something. Are there two kinds of verdana? I cannot find the solution. It is no biggee, though, I would like to learn to use fonts better. Best regards, Pop
I checked 3 different computer with Windows 10/11 and could only find one copy of the Verdana font. This would indicate that the e-book editor (not the tag editor) is using Verdana but your Preview pane is not.

As for the editor code view vs preview? When I forced the same font in both, the preview matches the code view. As the one that you are showing in the code view matches Verdana but the one shown in Preview does not, that suggests that you do not have Verdana selected as the sans-serif font in Preview (if you prefer, you can set Verdana for both serif and sans-serif). The basic editor preferences only allows one font. Have you set your preferences for the Preview pane as seen in one of the images in message #5 in this thread?

I'm not sure where you got Verdana (MS) from in the font names in the Preview configuration. When I browsed to the Verdana font, it just says Verdana as the font name. It is possible that the font embedded in your file is not the Verdana font supplied by Microsoft but a knockoff version. If you look in the Fonts folder inside the Windows folder, you should find the 4 Verdana files (regular, italic, bold, bold-italic). Opening one of those with Windows Font Viewer will show a font name of Verdana and a version of 5.33. Digging deeper into the font information says that it was copyrighted in 2016 by Microsoft.

You might want to save a backup of the epub, unembed Verdana and see what it does.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:47 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There are a selection of MS fonts available for "freeish*" use on anything (except OEM gadgets, they pay).
Download from MS, not 3rd party sites.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/ty...t-list/verdana

Even many Linux distros have a download from Microsoft of a selection of fonts.

[*It's not free as in GPL or PD, but free in sense you can use it without paying unlike a lot of Adobe InDesign fonts which can't be redistributed in an ebook at all.]

Last edited by Quoth; 09-07-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 10:47 AM   #11
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

I fixed it. I reset all 3 fonts in 'preview settings' to 'Courier New'. That worked okay. Then I set 'sans serif' to verdana and it took. Somehow backing out then redesignating verdana did the trick. Thanks to all for the help. Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2023-09-07 09-41-54.png
Views:	33
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	203607  
Old 09-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I fixed it. I reset all 3 fonts in 'preview settings' to 'Courier New'. That worked okay. Then I set 'sans serif' to verdana and it took. Somehow backing out then redesignating verdana did the trick. Thanks to all for the help. Best regards, Pop
Good to hear that you managed to fix the issue.