Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-26-2023, 10:38 AM   #16
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I haven't seen any books this bad, but I think in the past I have just subset all fonts to clean up unneeded font like this.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:14 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
I haven't seen any books this bad, but I think in the past I have just subset all fonts to clean up unneeded font like this.
I've seen one ebook with over 140 embedded fonts. Every personae in the book had their own font which, for me, made the ebook almost unreadable. I tried subsetting the fonts to reduce the size of the file but ended up removing all but one font used for text messages.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2023, 05:53 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen one ebook with over 140 embedded fonts. Every personae in the book had their own font which, for me, made the ebook almost unreadable. I tried subsetting the fonts to reduce the size of the file but ended up removing all but one font used for text messages.
What book is this?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 01:27 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What book is this?
I'm not certain as to the title/author, it was a few years back and the only thing that really stuck in my memory was the number of embedded fonts and the nitwitted reason for using them. The book, if I am remembering correctly, was from Kobo's Writing Life self-publishing platform.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 02:35 PM   #20
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Black View Post
On my current ePub formatting job, I needed "checkboxes" on a set of pages. [...] I duly incorporated Wingding.ttf in the Fonts, [...] However, when I tried the Nook reader, the checkboxes do NOT show, only an indication of an unrecognized character. Any ideas what I missed or how to fix this?

I appreciate any help or insights anyone may have. Thank you.
Wingdings is not a Unicode font, so the characters are all jumbled up.

For example, if you typed the letter "a" in:
  • Symbol = α = Lowercase alpha
  • Webdings = ✔ = Heavy Check Mark
  • Wingdings = ♋ = Cancer
  • Wingdings 2 = 🙦 = Heavy North East Pointing Bud
  • Wingdings 3 = ➩ = Right-Shaded White Rightwards Arrow

Visually, it might look like a '✔' (heavy checkmark) or '♋' (Cancer symbol)—but underneath, it's actually an 'a'.

This would completely mess up things like Text-to-Speech! Or if the user reading the ebook decided to change their font!

Instead, for any of those symbols you want to use, you should be using the proper Unicode characters.

- - -

Side Note: In 2014, all Symbol/Webdings/Wingdings characters were added into Unicode.

In 2018, Kovid added a feature to Calibre. If Calibre detects a document is using any of those 5 non-Unicode fonts, it will auto-convert the characters to their Unicode equivalents.

There is now no excuse to ever use those ancient Symbol/Webdings/Wingdings fonts!

- - -

Side Note #2: In order to find the proper Unicode symbols, I highly recommend using these sites, which collect them in tables:

If you want a checkbox, then use:
  • ☐ = U+2610 = BALLOT BOX
  • ☑ = U+2611 = BALLOT BOX WITH CHECK
  • ☒ = U+2612 = BALLOT BOX WITH X
  • ✓ = U+2713 = CHECK MARK
  • ✗ = U+2717 = BALLOT X

Like Doitsu said, to use this in your ebook, you would then need to embed a font that includes these symbols.

Personally, I use the "Symbola" font, but there are plenty of others out there too.

Side Note #2.1: If you want even more info on how to find/insert these obscure characters, also see my posts in:

where I described:
  • Sigil's Insert > Special Character + Calibre's Edit > Insert Special Character...
  • Word/LibreOffice's "Insert Special Character".
  • Emoji or rare characters, like 🌔 (WAXING GIBBOUS MOON) or 🜊 (ALCHEMICAL SYMBOL FOR VINEGAR)
  • Tools for finding out which fonts on your system include a given character/symbol.

If you want a step-by-step tutorial on how to embed (and subset) a font, then see my post in:

I described how to mark a handful of characters using HTML+CSS, then embed and use a font only for those few characters. (Perfect for something like a checkbox or Japanese which is only used in a very small part of the ebook!)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-09-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert