Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-27-2023, 09:41 PM   #1
rpitcairn
rpitcairn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to insert a page break

I have created a kindle book and would like to edit it so that there is a page break before the table of contents. Is there a way to do that?
Please excuse my ignorance but this is new to me and my understanding limited. I am hoping there is a line that can be put in that will do this and that you can post this for me. If there is more than that I will try to understand it but may have to ask more questions.
— Richard
rpitcairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:11 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A new file causes a page break.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
rpitcairn

Thanks, and how do I start a new file?

Last edited by rpitcairn; 10-28-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:24 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The calibre editor has a file-splitting feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28-10-2023 19-20-46.png
Views:	74
Size:	1,001.2 KB
ID:	204459  
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One word of advice is that it is a best practice to split each section (ToC, dedication, epigraph, prologue, chapter, epilogue, etc.) into it's own file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 02:34 PM   #6
rpitcairn

Thanks, very helpful. I will try to do it.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:50 PM   #7
rpitcairn

Sirtel, when I open the Calibre book editor, it does not look at all like the image you used. Are you suing another program? I don't see that icon for inserting the file split.

I took a screenshot to add to this to show you the difference, but cannot find a way to add it. When I try to, it asks for a link ?? I am using a Mac running Ventura OS if that is significant.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:00 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpitcairn View Post
I have created a kindle book and would like to edit it so that there is a page break before the table of contents. Is there a way to do that?
Please excuse my ignorance but this is new to me and my understanding limited. I am hoping there is a line that can be put in that will do this and that you can post this for me. If there is more than that I will try to understand it but may have to ask more questions.
— Richard
To let you know, this is not the correct place to post this. If you are starting with an ePub and converting for use with a Kindle, then you want to post in the ePub forum. If you are starting with a KF8 format eBook, then you want to pot in the Kindle Formats forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:03 PM   #9
rpitcairn

I have a Kindle format that I have already created. Want to edit it. Should I go then to the Kindle Formats forum?
Old 10-28-2023, 04:05 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sirtel, when I open the Calibre book editor, it does not look at all like the image you used. Are you suing another program? I don't see that icon for inserting the file split.

I took a screenshot to add to this to show you the difference, but cannot find a way to add it. When I try to, it asks for a link ?? I am using a Mac running Ventura OS if that is significant.
No, I only use the Calibre editor.

To post an image, click "Go Advanced" and then use the paperclip icon to attach your image.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:06 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have a Kindle format that I have already created. Want to edit it. Should I go then to the Kindle Formats forum?
If you use the Calibre editor, you're in the right place.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:33 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

The view Sirtel posted is a 'docked' view. You can also undock everything except the main (HTML) view
The VIEW menu allows you to select which items are shown.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:42 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To let you know, this is not the correct place to post this. If you are starting with an ePub and converting for use with a Kindle, then you want to post in the ePub forum. If you are starting with a KF8 format eBook, then you want to pot in the Kindle Formats forum.
John, the OP is discussing editing a Kindle format (i.e. azw3/KF8) file using the calibre editor. IMNSHO, this is the correct area for the post much as a question about editing an ePub with Sigil would belong in the Sigil forum. For me, the ePub and Kindle Formats forums are for more general questions. For instance, asking what the minimum metadata is required for an ePub 2 would belong in the ePub forum. Asking how to edit the metadata with the calibre editor would belong in this forum.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle