Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think the next Paperwhite is likely to have Bluetooth audio and 8GB storage. Maybe a new CPU/GPU so Invert Black & White feature is available.
Additionally, I'm guessing it's going to have a "night light" feature.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #17
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If it has buttons then I'll grumble about buying the Voyage. If not, then I think I'll be happy with the Voyage.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
If it has buttons then I'll grumble about buying the Voyage. If not, then I think I'll be happy with the Voyage.
I'm guessing the Paperwhite will retain its current form factor. If my eyes would tolerate a front-lit eInk Reader I would definitely be looking at a Voyage. I like the buttons also, plus the small size. Whether they stop making them (or not) would not be a factor in my buying decision.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I am pretty sure I would not use this feature: orangeness may spare me from ‘evil’ blue light frequency but I cannot read text comfortably on an orange background. I’ve tried it on backlit devices, and — ick.

I’m not sure if the Invert feature would work for me either, but that’s an option I’d like to play with.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
I think the next Paperwhite is likely to have Bluetooth audio and 8GB storage. Maybe a new CPU/GPU so Invert Black & White feature is available.

If they were to add TTS (or at least ability to download additional voices for VoiceView), & enable immersion reading, I’d probably be interested, but I am otherwise pretty happy with Voyage.
Can someone explain immersion reading?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It is this:
Quote:
Experience Immersion Reading
Read and listen simultaneously with real-time highlighting. It's called Immersion Reading and that's what it does: immerse you in a story by narrating and highlighting the text as you read. It sparks an extra connection that boosts engagement, comprehension, and retention, taking you deeper into the book.
Currently on the Kindles that support Audiobooks, you can read or you can listen but not both at the same time.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #22
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Well, on eInk Kindles the only thing Amazon could add to improve simultaneous audiobook & ebook usage would be turning the pages automatically while you listen. With eInk's slow refresh rate and ghosting "moving highlights" would look awful.

Last edited by shamanNS; 06-22-2018 at 05:41 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #23
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
If the Paperwhite 4 has buttons I'll pass on it.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Quote:
It is this:
Quote:
Experience Immersion Reading
Read and listen simultaneously with real-time highlighting. It's called Immersion Reading and that's what it does: immerse you in a story by narrating and highlighting the text as you read. It sparks an extra connection that boosts engagement, comprehension, and retention, taking you deeper into the book.
Currently on the Kindles that support Audiobooks, you can read or you can listen but not both at the same time.
One question that pops to mind is how do they handle adapting to the user's reading speed? Does it force only certain speeds -- a thousand words per minute is going to need an auctioneer's vocal talents.

And I guess, I get to eat the cost of owning both the ebook and Audible audiobook (with whispersync enabled) versions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #25
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One question that pops to mind is how do they handle adapting to the user's reading speed?
If the on-the-fly highlighting is synced to the narrator's voice, the user's reading speed is irrelevant.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #26
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
What? Even if you don't use them? Why is the presence of buttons a deal breaker?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #27
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One question that pops to mind is how do they handle adapting to the user's reading speed? Does it force only certain speeds -- a thousand words per minute is going to need an auctioneer's vocal talents. . . .
On the kindle fire the speed can be adjusted to .5x slower narration up to 3x faster narration. The kindle keyboard also has a text to speech feature which allows to read and listen to a text at the same time albeit with a robotic voice. I've also used text to speech feature as an automatic page turner with the volume turned off.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #28
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I kind of miss buttons on my PaperWhite, I had them on my PRS300, and the only problem was that the buttons were so stiff that my delicate little flower-like fingers got tired. I'd like to have buttons, if possible, along with some sort of screen swiping page turn. When one method got boring, I could switch to the other.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #29
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
It is this:

THX! Doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in though. I don't care if it is present, it's good to have options, but I think I wouldn't likely use it.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #30
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
What? Even if you don't use them? Why is the presence of buttons a deal breaker?
I might ask why you can't tap the screen but I won't. Buttons break, get in the way, are a nuisance, and are as useful as a hand crank to start your car. Buttons take up part of the bezel that you can't use to hold the device. The haptic buttons on the Voyage were useless but at least I could turn them off.

My first Kindle was a Kindle Keyboard and within the first month the page forward button on the right broke. I've never broken the screen changing pages.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote