Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #226
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm still an old screen holdout as the old screen is so much more functional for me and I hate the wasted space on the new screen (My Books is useless; there's only one author or collection and no control over which; there's no control over recent books tiles), plus the attempt to shill me on my own device.

However. I'm getting to the point where I'm probably going to grit my teeth and do it. I did let my Glo HD update a while ago and I do like the increased responsiveness. I'd also like to be able to use the OverDrive function on the Aura One. Finally, I'm getting lazy and being able to download directly from Kobo rather than having to sideload content would be a plus.

Ultimately, a better reading experience has to trump a better navigating experience and home page aesthetics. I'm not quite there yet, but I can tell it's coming.

I have a Glo which I use as book repository, though, and I'll probably leave well enough alone with that.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #227
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm still an old screen holdout as the old screen is so much more functional for me and I hate the wasted space on the new screen (My Books is useless; there's only one author or collection and no control over which; there's no control over recent books tiles), plus the attempt to shill me on my own device.

However. I'm getting to the point where I'm probably going to grit my teeth and do it. I did let my Glo HD update a while ago and I do like the increased responsiveness. I'd also like to be able to use the OverDrive function on the Aura One. Finally, I'm getting lazy and being able to download directly from Kobo rather than having to sideload content would be a plus.

Ultimately, a better reading experience has to trump a better navigating experience and home page aesthetics. I'm not quite there yet, but I can tell it's coming.

I have a Glo which I use as book repository, though, and I'll probably leave well enough alone with that.
I did it by mistake. The cat walked over the cable, unplugging the device and corrupting the database.

I've been using the new home screen for a few months. I still prefer the old, but it's not so bad I've worked to put an older version of the firmware on the device.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #228
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Finally, I'm getting lazy and being able to download directly from Kobo rather than having to sideload content would be a plus.

I'm guessing there is a way around this? Isn't there a patch, or you create a file with read only permissions or something?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #229
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I did it by mistake. The cat walked over the cable, unplugging the device and corrupting the database.

I've been using the new home screen for a few months. I still prefer the old, but it's not so bad I've worked to put an older version of the firmware on the device.
I had the same once. I immediately downloaded the last update that had the old home screen and installed that again and turned off auto-update. I won't go over to the new firmware.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #230
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Finally, I'm getting lazy and being able to download directly from Kobo rather than having to sideload content would be a plus.
I ALWAYS "side load". On everything. Do not trust sellers or cloud. Make backups.
I use Calibre to manage.
However I read a lot from Gutenberg.
The new vs old home screen is nothing to do with buying books direct etc, as that is on a menu.
Really a quarter of the "new" home screen does anything, the four most recent books. Idiotic.
The home menu is a bit crazy too.
I also object to Pocket and "Sharing" options being on by default, and no settings for choice of the two searches (Google & Wikipedia) and no setting for WHERE you might want to share to. Facebook and Google are toxic privacy thieves. Why not an option for choice of URL or eMail address in settings rather than login for Facebook. Similarly Pocket is a privacy fail and does nothing that you can't do with Calibre and a saved web page.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #231
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...I'm getting lazy and being able to download directly from Kobo rather than having to sideload content would be a plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I ALWAYS "side load". On everything. Do not trust sellers or cloud. Make backups.
Wanting to directly download purchases from the store to the device does not mean the same user is not also backing up those purchases. It only means she's tired of sideloading.

I buy my books from Amazon to read on my kobo. But if I had a Kindle, I likely wouldn't sideload my purchases on it, though of course I would back them up.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home screen, kobo