Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2019, 02:30 AM   #286
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd temper that a bit: to begin with, waifu is good at very specific things, but most importantly, it only does fixed, power of 2 scaling multipliers, as the name implies.

In this case, a single scaling pass with a decent algorithm will probably yield better results than a waifu upscale followed by a downscale.

I've posted my usual ImageMagick processing pass a couple of times over here, if someone is looking for inspiration (the most recent time must have been in one of the FBInk threads) .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-10-2019 at 09:22 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #287
ipitythefool101
ipitythefool101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a brand new Kindle Paperwhite I'm trying to jailbreak, but I am getting stuck on Step 4 (jailbreaking the device).

Firmware: 5.10.0.2
Serial: G000 T611

I install the 5.10.0.2 firmware included in this post, add the update blocking folder, and then download the "K5 Factory JailBreak (Factory FW)" under the "Packages targeting the Kindle 5 " header in the referenced post. When I execute the ";installHtml" command, it looks like it runs, but I never get the "you are now jailbroken" new book added to my library.

Any ideas where I am going wrong? Thank you!
ipitythefool101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #288
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ipitythefool101: Most likely badly unpacked. You want to end up with an *untouched* main-htmlviewer.tar.gz archive at the root of your device.

Not the tarball from my snapshot, not an unpacked version of htmlviewer, and nothing in between either.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #289
B0okworm
B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2017)
Possible to JB 5.9.4?

I have an almost new Paperwhite. It's not the 2018, very new waterproof one, but the previous model (version 9?). The serial number is G090 G105 **** ****

Before seeing this thread I stupidly updated the firmware to 5.9.4. Is it possible to JB the device?

I've tried using the factory install to put 10.0.1 on it but it doesn't recognise that as a valid update. This might be because it's registered and I didn't do a reset before trying? Or it might be something else.

I realise this must have been asked before - sorry - I did look for a specific thread. Any help JBing the device will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

[Edited on advice, to remove the last eight digits of the serial number]

Last edited by B0okworm; 01-11-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Incorrect content
B0okworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #290
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
@B0okworm,

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

You have what we call a PW3 (7th gen paperwhite). See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #291
B0okworm
B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!B0okworm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thank you so much.

Followed the instructions and it appears to have worked. FYI I didn't deregister or reset the device before JB and all of the books/settings survived.

I haven't installed KUAL and MPRI because I'm not sure that I will need them. All I want is to change the screensavers to something I want. Can you please let me know how I do this?

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #292
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post

TL;DR: Factory Image -> Factory JB -> Hotfix -> MRPI -> KUAL Booklet w/ Coplate's patch -> Everything else
You'll need them, then Python & the ScreenSavers hack from the Snapshots .
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #293
B0okworm

WELL! That's . . . just . .. perfect!

All installed and working. Thank you so very much for all of your hard work in making this JB happen - and for those excellent packages.

I'm a happy man
Old 01-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #294
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
oof i wish i would have searched here first. i'm guessing with 5.10.2 (serial G000PP) there's no hope to see a jailbreak in sight right?

if i *had* jailbroken first, could i have upgraded firmware versions as they came around?
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #295
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
oof i wish i would have searched here first. i'm guessing with 5.10.2 (serial G000PP) there's no hope to see a jailbreak in sight right?
Not anytime soon, I don't think.

Quote:
if i *had* jailbroken first, could i have upgraded firmware versions as they came around?
Yes (at least thus far).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #296
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:

Yep, serial port only at this time.

Dave

PS: unless of course you can find a reason to exchange it and then JB the replacement.

Last edited by dhdurgee; 01-23-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: add a PS
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #297
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Yep, serial port only at this time.

Dave

PS: unless of course you can find a reason to exchange it and then JB the replacement.

I just got it yesterday.

Hmmm... Too *bad* I can't see any LCD pinholes or any other obvious problems. I'm guessing any replacement will be refurbished units and might have advanced firmware versions. I'd just normally return / rebuy but I bought it on sale and couldn't get it that cheap again.

I guess the biggest things I lose are:

1) wireless transfer of kfx/epub/ via scp/ssh
2) no koreader for pdfs
3) screensavers put my own photos there.

i'll definitely be on the lookout for problems that could justify an exchange
Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #298
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
On the earlier Paperwhite models, complaints about uneven lighting (which is mostly subjective - in the eye of the beholder) have been popular.
I haven't been following the comments/complaints about the latest model.

Besides, the Kindle market is so large, even if every reader of this site returned for exchange their Kindle, it would only be like peeing in the Pacific Ocean.
There just isn't enough people modifying their Kindles to even be noticeable.

Last edited by knc1; 01-23-2019 at 07:15 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #299
arooni
Addict

Yay! Was able to get a replacement Kindle. I'll get another try at jailbreaking it this Saturday. Very excited!

Questions:

1) Is it generally better to keep all OTA updates disabled? i.e. with the upload.partial.bin file in the root directory (or whatever its called)
2) How would I learn if upgrading the firmware is supported with jailbreak? This thread? Is it safe to move to 5.10.2 ?
3) If I lose jailbreak, is it possible to get it back?
4) Is there any stupid thing that I could do that would cause me to brick the device?
5) What are the must have things you would put on here? KoReader, screen saver? anything missing?
6) Seems like its recommended to pay amazon the $20 to remove ads before you do the jailbreaking. but if i'm supposed to do the jailbreaking first before registering it, how would that work?

Last edited by arooni; 01-23-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #300
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@arooni,
Congrats!

1) Yes. Just to play safe, do not update until you see news on that firmware somewhere here.
2) Most probably it is safe to move to 5.10.2 as long as you don't screw too many things up on your current Kindle before update. Do backup anyway.
3) If you loose it through 'Reset' in Settings (or other complete wipe, or upgrading FW without hotfix being installed) - most probably it is gone forever (so I usually put any of Parental Restrictions on so 'Reset' is grayed out from accidental touch).
4) Not following direct instructions (for specific things) and making wrong assumptions to 'support' your decision (especially using wrong shell commands). If in doubt at any step, stop right there and rather ask than make a wild guess.
5) Mine are Kazakh Keyboard, fonts (I just put fonts into 'font' folder in the visible root of Kindle when connected via USB, and restarted), font sizes (FONT_RAMP file for KF8 and Java tweaks for older mobi7), Librarian Sync for collections, screensavers with my own info (name, e-mail address), chess, Leafpad.
6) When you receive your new Kindle, do not connect it to Wi-Fi yet. So Kindle will not load ads yet, i.e. it will be in a conditional 'ad-free state'. At least my PW3 was such.

Last edited by mergen3107; 01-23-2019 at 11:41 PM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw4