Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware 3.16.0 Discussion

Kobo has released firmware version 3.16.0. It is being released for the Touch and Glo HD. It should start appearing on some devices today, but Kobo will be doing their usual staged release, so it might be days or weeks before everyone receives it.

The release notes are:
  • Design Updates: Your Kobo Touch now features the new look and feel of the Kobo eReader software.
  • Search Improvements: You can now search current reads, annotations, and dictionaries more easily
  • Quick Wi Fi Settings: Tap the Wi Fi icon in the status bar to access the new Wi Fi menu.

The first point will only be shown on the Touch. The Touch changes are to bring its interface in to line with the other devices. For anyone who installed 3.15.0 on the Touch, the Beta Features (except Chess) are back.

Note: This is the first time for a while that the update package for the N905 and N905B Touch include the u-boot and uImage files. If you sideload this firmware onto one of these, make sure you include the complete package.

The search changes are the biggest. As well as the existing "Bookstore" and "Library" searches, you can also select to search from the five most recent books, all annotations and the dictionaries. The results list display the details of the match and can be view by tapping the item. The search also maintains a list of recent search strings that can be selected. Note: Due to license issues, some dictionaries can't be search.

The WiFi changes are the icon in the header can be tapped to display a list of available networks. If connected to one, a tick will indicate this. The WiFi can be turned on and off by tapping the indicator at the top of the popup and there is a link to the main WiFi settings at the bottom. The main system dropdown also shows the name of the connected network.

Some smaller changes that were included and mentioned in the betas were:
  • Improved 'Related reading' tab on Book details screens
  • Renamed 'Document Default' font to 'Publisher Default'
  • Improved EPUB performance - I can't comment as I didn't see the performance degradation that some others saw with 3.15.0.
  • Improved hyphenation handling - kepub and epub and should improve all languages.
  • New checkout flow arrives for Kobo Touch
  • Fixed some timing issues in which the device could stay in a black-and-white-only mode instead of greyscale
  • Re-enabled image/PDF zoom on non-Aura devices
  • Pocket: End-of-article dialog text cut off

I didn't notice any of my personal bugs being fixed. Well, one search annoyance disappeared because it was part of the search changes. And, if any of the other "popular" bugs have been fixed, I didn't notice them.

The biggest question everyone will have is about performance. I have been running the various beta version on five devices. I didn't see a single performance problem. But, then I never saw a problem with 3.15.0 either. Kobo did explicitly ask about this, and apart from pointing the the reports on MR, I couldn't help. The same goes for the highlighting issues.

Calibre has already been updated to support this release. The update was in version 2.30.

Note: All this is based on my note taken during the beta process. It is in no way an official release statement from Kobo or anyone else. And is almost definitely incomplete.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I installed 3.16.0 on the Glo HD, and it's a bit faster on the initial page turn, but still not as fast as it should be, it's still much slower than the regular Glo on 3.12.1. Once it gets going and you keep turning pages, then the Glo HD is faster than the Glo, which I would think that's how it should be for the newer reader.

Now to wait for the patch so I can kill the huge line spacing!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Note: Due to license issues, some dictionaries can't be search.
Are you saying that they can include the dictionary and show the definition of any word highlighted by the user, but they can't let him search for a random word entered manually?
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:52 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
Are you saying that they can include the dictionary and show the definition of any word highlighted by the user, but they can't let him search for a random word entered manually?
Yes, and it has been like that for as long as the dictionaries have been on the device. French and Dutch are blocked by this. Japanese is also blocked, but I have a vague feeling this was for some other reason.

And you can still do a dictionary lookup from the "Extras" menu on the home screen and from the bottom menu when reading. But, I find it integrated with the search to be cleaner.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Yes, and it has been like that for as long as the dictionaries have been on the device. French and Dutch are blocked by this. Japanese is also blocked, but I have a vague feeling this was for some other reason.
Concerning the french dictionary, I’m pretty sure it’s for copyright reason, for it is a "Larousse 2008" which is included by default on the kobo. It looks like the parties had an agreement on some functions but not on other because the Larousse is a product by itself...
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2015, 02:17 AM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Will this be rolling out to the other devices such as the glo/aura/aura HD/Aura H2O?

Seems a rollout to only the (one of) the oldest and the newest devices are a bit strange to me.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:40 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Will this be rolling out to the other devices such as the glo/aura/aura HD/Aura H2O?

Seems a rollout to only the (one of) the oldest and the newest devices are a bit strange to me.
I was expecting this to go to all the devices (except the Mini), but Kobo have stated this is only going to the Touch and the Glo HD. The Touch is still used by a lot of people and this is a catch-up release for it. The next release will probably cover the others. And no, I have no idea when.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #8
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
Quote:
  • Improved hyphenation handling - kepub and epub and should improve all languages.
This is really good news!
Can you confirm noticeable hyphenation improvements?
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
This is really good news!
Can you confirm noticeable hyphenation improvements?
Not really. I normally read ragged-right, so don't see much hyphenation, and I only read English, so I can't comment on the other languages. Plus, it was one of the last things added, so I haven't had as much chance to test. But, since the change went in, I have been reading with justified text and have quickly flicked through some other books looking for hyphenation. So far I haven't seen anything wrong.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Now to wait for the patch so I can kill the huge line spacing!
Even if 3.16.0 was available for the H2O now, I'd wait to install it until the patches are released. I'd rather stick to a patched 3.15.0 than an unpatched 3.16.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #11
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I took the hyphenation dictionary from the 16 and compared to one within the 15. Files are the same. The difference must be in the engine.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
The first post of the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread has been updated for this release.

This release is The Who Shot MR? release.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:52 AM   #13
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I took the hyphenation dictionary from the 16 and compared to one within the 15. Files are the same. The difference must be in the engine.
Yes, I've checked this, too.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I had one or the other book (epub) where hyphenation even with justified text was off (no hyphenation at all). With 3.16.0, this is ok now. And with kepub, the hyphenation with 3.15.0 was horrible (at least regading German books). Well, it's possible that this is now a little bit less horrible.
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
The first post of the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread has been updated for this release.

This release is The Who Shot MR? release.
The answer is Amazon because of jealousy because Kobo has the better Reader experience.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-11-2015 at 07:05 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Affiliate?

Can anyone who received this update OTA state their affiliate=?

I'd like to trick my Touch into updating... thanks!
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote