Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 03-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by incumbent View Post
Word Count would.
Or, character count which is essentially what Adobe and Amazon does but then scales it much differently. I prefer the Adobe method as it relates to real word experience of pages.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #32
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
This does not help me determine if this a short book or long book in relation to other books read using the same font, size, etc on marvin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by incumbent View Post
Word Count would.
Incumbent is exactly right. The Word Count feature allows you to compare books in your library...check out these screenshots:

The iPad & iPhone will list the number of words in the library view - if you choose to display word counts (left image). The iPad adds an additional, intermediate, view (found by pinching/expanding the library screen to change the level of detail) and puts the word count on the right side of the book list (right image). Both versions (iPhone & iPad) have a cover image library view (not pictured here) also found by pinching the screen in library view. The cover image view does not display book information - just the cover.

The combination of whole-book word count, whole-book progress bar, and chapter page count, should give most people all the information they desire when reading a book. If you need to have exact number of characters, or exact page number, or be able to compare exactly to a pBook, then there are other formats out there that might suit your needs better, such as pdf.... or just a plain ol' hardback!

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 AM   #33
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I can't read the screen shot. Where is word count?
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #34
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I circled the page count with a red circle on the left image. They are all on the right side of the image on the right.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #35
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps I have a different version as all I get is % read in my library at the different pinch levels. I'm running ios 7.x on an ipad.
Advert
Old 04-10-2015, 02:46 AM   #36
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Have you told Marvin to calculate word count? I didn't use it much, but I think you have to do that to each book separately (from the metadata screen) Then it'll show in list view as well.

Last edited by tilia; 04-10-2015 at 02:48 AM.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #37
harriska2
Addict

I have not seen anything in Marvin that says "word count" anywhere in the settings or anywhere else.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:21 AM   #38
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
Have you told Marvin to calculate word count? I didn't use it much, but I think you have to do that to each book separately (from the metadata screen) Then it'll show in list view as well.

There are a couple ways to have Marvin show a word count:

1) Swipe from right to left on the book on your library page. Select Metadata. At the bottom left is a link entitled "Calculate word count". Tap that.

or

2) Use the MarvinXD Calibre Plugin. You can have it perform a word count on all your books and that data will be transferred with the book when you sync it to Marvin. (...at least it did when we were beta testing it...I haven't used it much recently...) MarvinXD has a lot of really nice features that compliment the Marvin App.

Cheers,
Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #39
harriska2
Addict

Thanks turtle, I don't sync with Marvin,just use the web server so the plug in probably doesn't work. I just went to each book on my iPad and calculated.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #40
harriska2
Addict

By having to touch each book to tell Marvin to do a work count makes this pretty untenable. Is it possible to have a setting that calculates it for each book loaded?
Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #41
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Not that I'm aware of. If you word count each book as you load it only takes a second. If you have a "ton" of books you are loading at the same time, it's well worth it to plug it in and transfer from Calibre directly using the MarvinXD plugin.