Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
doto
doto began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
from PDF to mobi for paperwhite

How can I convert a large PDF book to mobi, I've seen people suggest mobi pocketcreator but that isn't compatible with windows 7, any suggestions?
doto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could try Calibre or you could try Amazon's own conversion service, but PDF rarely converts cleanly to other formats. OCR is often the best way to achieve good results.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
TikiGawd
Cogito ergo non ovis.
TikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch
Calibre will do the job. However, unless the structure of the pdf is very simple, the results usually aren't very good. Regardless, don't convert to mobi, convert to azw3. I've had quite a lot better results with converting simple pdfs to azw3 vs. mobi.
TikiGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I've been using Mobi Pocket Creator with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and it works just fine. You may need to tell UAC that it's an "Okay" program or try running it in XP compatibility mode -- so far I've needed to do neither with it -- but it should do the job as well as such conversions ever go. Which is to say, sometimes you get lucky with them and sometimes you don't. So far I get maybe 4 good ones out of every 6 using MobiCreator. The rest are either utter fails or need considerable clean up in Sigil or an HTML editor. It all depends on the PDF.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
My best results for basic text based PDF's of books have been to export to HTML using Acrobat Pro and then cleaning things up with Sigil to create an ePub which can then be easily converted to Mobi or KF8/AZW3.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
doto
doto began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Thank you all, I probably have a tough PDF file, as I've tried some of your sound advice, and still got a muddled book, fool of numbers and large empty spaces. I guess I'll read it in PDF in Panorama mode, not the high quality of usual kindle files, but the best I can get

thanks again

Last edited by doto; 06-07-2013 at 02:16 AM.
doto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Have a look at k2pdfopt: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144711

It will "reflow" a PDF to better fit the screen. Works great! It is based on something akin to OCR, I'd call it "optical layout recognition" and will then visually reorder the PDF's contents.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My way is long winded and time consuming, but imo it gets the best results. Convert the PDF to Rich Text Font in Calibre. Clean up the text by removing headers/trailers etc. Edit the text by joining up split lines and add a Table of Contents with hyperlinks. Then convert RTF to mobi.

I get a perfect ebook file every time.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
PDF to epub works well. You can make it into either a HTML, epub or Mobi file with the program.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doto View Post
How can I convert a large PDF book to mobi, I've seen people suggest mobi pocketcreator but that isn't compatible with windows 7, any suggestions?
It is compatible with W7. I am running it on W7 64-bit. It dumps the output to html which I then convert in Calibre.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
It is compatible with W7. I am running it on W7 64-bit. It dumps the output to html which I then convert in Calibre.
Before converting to mobi (or azw3 as a better choice) tweaking it with macros (on MsWord) could be a good idea.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Before converting to mobi (or azw3 as a better choice) tweaking it with macros (on MsWord) could be a good idea.
Depends. A lot of the time, it comes out fine as an html. Sometimes it comes out with tons of superfluous page breaks, at which point the search and replace process becomes a mini-programming task. It's a drag and to be avoided. I do it in UltraEdit. Any decent code editor will suffice. I suppose you could do it in Word. I never use Word. It is the devil's spawn.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
ddd7
ddd7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Have a look at k2pdfopt: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144711

It will "reflow" a PDF to better fit the screen. Works great! It is based on something akin to OCR, I'd call it "optical layout recognition" and will then visually reorder the PDF's contents.
Thanks so much for this link! It really has worked nicely on my pdf files!
ddd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One(simple) thing you can do is use a program like PDF to Epub to convert the pdf to kindle format (it converts pdf's to html, epubs & kindle files) and then use Send To Kindle to send the converted file to your kindle reader. If you convert it to epub then you can check for errors using Sigil and then convert to mobi in Calibre before using Send to Kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote