Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-18-2024, 07:52 PM   #586
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
While an Instant Pot can be used as a rice cooker, I prefer my Zojirushi 3 cup rice cooker for rice and congee. The Instant Pot is quite a bit larger and does not have the ability to modify the cooking process to correct for errors such as too much or too little water.

I went through a couple of cheap rice cookers before I picked up the Zojirushi rice cooker. Like quite a other few brands that are decent such as Cuckoo and Tiger, they use a onboard microcomputer (hence, the MICOM designation) to control the cooking process and have presets for multiple types of rice and other grains (quinoa, steelcut oatmeal, etc. depending on model).
Thanks, DNSB!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:56 AM   #587
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I have a Zojirushi rice cooker that was great, but I no longer use it. I prefer to make rice in my Instant Pot. I used the Zojirushi more for making oatmeal (steel cut oats), but I make that in the Instant Pot as well. I have a 3-quart IP, and that is perfect for oatmeal or rice. I also have the 6-quart, but I only use it for large quantities and I put it into the box when I'm not using it. I have a very small kitchen.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:44 AM   #588
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Out of curiosity, how many people are you cooking for? An average meal with rice here for two people takes 1 rice measuring cup of rice (6 ounces liquid measure) plus 8 ounces of water for white rice or 9.5 ounces of water for brown rice and that leaves about half the cooked rice as leftovers. Given that the latest I've seen on storing cooked rice says no more than 3 days in the refrigerator, I can't see making even 3 cups of rice at a time. For me, a 3 quart (96 fluid ounces) Instant Pot is oversized for those quantities.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:30 PM   #589
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thank you mlewis78 and again DNSB!

I see that the Zojirushi is much more expensive than the Instant Pot.

$169.49
https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-...dp/B01EVHWNVG/

$99.95
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-M...dp/B00FLYWNYQ/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 12:46 AM   #590
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thank you mlewis78 and again DNSB!

I see that the Zojirushi is much more expensive than the Instant Pot.
That they are. For more sticker shock, check out their induction and/or pressure versions.

You could check Toshiba, Cuckoo or Tiger 3 cup rice cookers for a more affordable alternative. Basically either MICOM or fuzzy logic in the description gets you the smarter version.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:25 PM   #591
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
That they are. For more sticker shock, check out their induction and/or pressure versions.

You could check Toshiba, Cuckoo or Tiger 3 cup rice cookers for a more affordable alternative. Basically either MICOM or fuzzy logic in the description gets you the smarter version.
IDK, my hubby uses the IP for his sticky rice and wuvs it. That's all I know. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 02:24 PM   #592
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Is the hubby making sushi? Zongzi (sticky rice dumplings wrapped in bamboo leaves)? Pudding? Poké bowls? Just likes the texture? Does he add any flavourings? I like a bit of mirin and salt which give a flavour similar to a sushi rice.

My preferred method for cooking sticky rice is to pre-soak at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours, drain and then steam the sticky rice for 23-25 minutes turning once. Once steamed, I dump it on a clean plastic board and fold it over until it's nice and smooth.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:28 PM   #593
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Is the hubby making sushi? Zongzi (sticky rice dumplings wrapped in bamboo leaves)? Pudding? Poké bowls? Just likes the texture? Does he add any flavourings? I like a bit of mirin and salt which give a flavour similar to a sushi rice.

My preferred method for cooking sticky rice is to pre-soak at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours, drain and then steam the sticky rice for 23-25 minutes turning once. Once steamed, I dump it on a clean plastic board and fold it over until it's nice and smooth.
He just really loves the texture. I got him started on it with...hmmm...oh, that easy recipe for General Tso's chicken that Epicurious shared with the world a few years back. He adores that chicken and he wanted sticky rice with it, not "regular" Asian-style rice so...we started out with that and then he just started making it for himself in the IP. Yes, he adds a bit of salt and sometimes mirin, sometimes neither of those and just a soy or soy-adjacent-type sauce or seasoning. Around here, if naught else, we have herbs, spices, sauces, etc. out the wazoo for any number of different foods and tastes.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:25 PM   #594
DNSB
Bibliophagist

One friend who owns an Instant Pot sent me a collection of links to images of Instant Pot lids embedded in ceilings and other Instant Pot cooking disasters such as the pressure release spraying water to the ceiling. Took me back to my mother using a pressure cooker with a defective valve.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:57 AM   #595
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One friend who owns an Instant Pot sent me a collection of links to images of Instant Pot lids embedded in ceilings and other Instant Pot cooking disasters such as the pressure release spraying water to the ceiling. Took me back to my mother using a pressure cooker with a defective valve.
I have been using my IP for more than 5 years and have never had anything bad happen, let alone a lid blowing off.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:21 AM   #596
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I have been using my IP for more than 5 years and have never had anything bad happen, let alone a lid blowing off.
Uncommon but impressive when it happens. One of them according to the attached story had some sort of failure in the control circuitry so basically, it went to high and stayed there and something about a 3rd party replacement part not working properly to release pressure in an overpressure situation (not sure exactly what that was since I looked at the article a while back but something about a flexible board in the bottom of the pot?).
Old 01-30-2024, 05:07 AM   #597
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I've never used a pressure cooker, always been happy with my slow cooker. Turn it on when I leave for work, meal ready when I get home.

If the slow cooker fails at worst I get some boil over. I thankfully won't ever have to pry a pot lid from dry-wall!
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:08 AM   #598
mlewis78
Guru

You would have to try awfully hard to create an explosion to have one with the modern Instant Pot. You don't try to take the top off of it without releasing the steam, either by moving the vent knob or just waiting for natural release.

The directions are easy to follow and one can always go to online forums to ask questions and get answers.

My mother had the old-style pressure cooker (nothing electronic about it ) and the gasket flew off of it once.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:13 AM   #599
mlewis78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I've never used a pressure cooker, always been happy with my slow cooker. Turn it on when I leave for work, meal ready when I get home.

If the slow cooker fails at worst I get some boil over. I thankfully won't ever have to pry a pot lid from dry-wall!

I had a slow cooker, a Crock Pot, almost 50 years ago in my 20s. I set it up in the morning, went to work and it was done when I got home. I only recall cooking marinara sauce and a whole chicken.

After a few years ago I stopped using it and tossed it when decluttering (something I've had to do a lot in my little place).

I bought my 3-qt. IP in 2017 in a cyber Monday sale when I was two months from retirement. I figured I would be home more and cooking more. I didn't use it for several months while being preoccupied with having a clot and getting home late from swimming. Now I still get home late after swimming, but the IP is so easy to use that I use it often.