Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #166
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
Got problems with Aliexpress, anyone? I found a way out. I got in touch with Shenzhen Police, and had a native Chinese woman from Fiverr call the vendor to tell about it. And now I got an email from Aliexpress that I will get my money back. Well, some of it. And it might take twenty business days. Hoping this'll be the end of it.
Great news. Hope it works out for you. Still think I will continue to avoid Aliexpress for expensive purchases such as phones.

You would think that it would be in the interest of Aliexpress to clamp down on such vendor behaviour as it just drives potential business elsewhere.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #167
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Great news. Hope it works out for you. Still think I will continue to avoid Aliexpress for expensive purchases such as phones.

You would think that it would be in the interest of Aliexpress to clamp down on such vendor behaviour as it just drives potential business elsewhere.
The wise man learns from other's mistakes, the fool not from his own. I remembered that I got my money back last time, but forgot all the pain. So, I bought expensive again, and went through purgatory again. I totally agree with you, Aliexpress should be shunned for expensive stuff.

And yeah, I think they ought to put the customer first, if they want to stay competitive. As for now, I guess many see the Ali website and think it's like eBay, only cheaper.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #168
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Hope that works out for you.

If, for some reason, you end back up with the A5 Pro CC, I have just discovered a setting which I hadn't previously noticed. It is under the Display and Brightness area in Settings. It is called Classic E-ink Screen Mode. When you enable this mode, the phone only displays blacks and whites and greys, just like on a regular e-ink device. I don't notice the grid effect as much with it enabled, not that it bothers me anyway.

I don't know whether this feature has been there all along or whether it is new because I recently received a firmware update after not having had the phone connected to the internet in months.
Does that make the screen turn identical to the A5 (Pro) or is it still going to be darker and grainier in comparison? How about the contrast? I don't really need colour that much, but if it can be turned off with no downside in the A5 Pro CC, I could turn it on only for video calls; on the other hand the refresh rate might be annoying enough to not use the phone for such things anyway.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #169
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Does that make the screen turn identical to the A5 (Pro) or is it still going to be darker and grainier in comparison? How about the contrast? I don't really need colour that much, but if it can be turned off with no downside in the A5 Pro CC, I could turn it on only for video calls; on the other hand the refresh rate might be annoying enough to not use the phone for such things anyway.
If you don't need colour, I would go for the A5 Pro. With the frontlight off, the screen of the A5 Pro CC is always a bit darker than the A5, even in the "classic eink screen" mode. However, with the frontlight on, the contrast is quite good.

In the attached pictures, the A5 is on the left with the red wrist strap. It is the exact same book, same page, same reading app, same font size... The photos were taken inside on a cloudy day with indoor lights off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights Off.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	184131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights On.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	184132  

Last edited by Question Mark; 12-19-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #170
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If you don't need colour, I would go for the A5 Pro. With the frontlight off, the screen of the A5 Pro CC is always a bit darker than the A5, even in the "classic eink screen" mode. However, with the frontlight on, the contrast is quite good.

In the attached pictures, the A5 is on the left with the red wrist strap. It is the exact same book, same page, same reading app, same font size... The photos were taken inside on a cloudy day with indoor lights off.
The images are much appreciated! Seems like the CC has a bluish hue even in the classic BW mode. I imagine that would be annoying in the long run. While you are correct in that the contrast looks really good when the frontlight is on, I think my eyes would tire from the constant lumination!

The only things I would "need" colour for are pictures and maybe video calls - though the latter would probably not work well anyway. The more I think about it the less I feel I need colour: I'd rather watch pictures or videos on a bigger screen anyway.

Unless it's true that Hisense will release a new phone on the 22nd of December, I think I'll buy the A5 Pro. The only thing missing from it are Google Play services, which I need for my banking apps (however, if GAPPS can be installed on the Onyx device that I've ordered I won't even need that).

From what I've seen, which admittedly isn't much (the phone doesn't seem popular enough for too many youtube videos), the A5 Pro has everything I want in a phone, except warm frontlight (though neither does my Kindle Paperwhite and it isn't a huge deal - still better than an LCD with warm night light).
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:18 AM   #171
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
The blue could be from the screen filter though?

Quote:

jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #172
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Forget about the frontlight: Use real light. The A5 pro cc is beautiful in full sunshine and very clear in the store (TL overlights.) Of course, if you sit in your comfy chair with no reading lamp (paradox in itself!) and romantic christmas lighting, you can turn it on the frontlight. But it is never that beautiful.

It's eInk. It's the counterpart to LED. That one is good in the dark, this one is good in the light and reasonable in the dark: Not beautiful. Be sure to understand that the beauty is not that the resolution only gives you newspaper quality pictures (and video!), the beauty is that it gives you ePaper with 4k colors!
But it's never going to be very good if you evaluate it in the dark. I can't even read my iPhone in the sunshine. However, I am used to it and won't complain about that obvious shortcoming of the technology.

I am just starting to realize that I am moving away for a bit from LED screens. Even while writing this, I am staring at a LED. It's everywhere. So you shouldn't be worried if you find that the devices don't work like your LED; That the white is a bit off. It has 4k colors. The gamut isn't going to be like a LED with milllions. However, it is very nice. Even though most people, that I show it to find it interesting, but not as good as their phone. Because it isn't OLED. And I quite agree. It isn't OLED: it's eInk.

And for the sake of everyday use: You can use it everywhere. Even in the sun. It has a battery that after a day of intensive use shows somewhere between 78% and 83%. I still charge it every night, because Li-batteries like to be topped off and I am used to my iPhone being at 3%-10% at that time. I can give it to my children without the worry of eyes being to long on a screen.

So that is the positive side. The negative side obviously is the dependency of a _lot_ of apps on Google. I can't use Google Play. And I am wondering whether I want to. Google is nice, but I don't like to be dependent on it. If you install apk's of Google services*, etc. etc., you get rid of all the nag boxes of apps saying that they need Google. Even the Google keyboard can be sideloaded: It won't even nag at you, as it does when you have installed it from Play and disabled Play afterwards.** But there are still limits.

I can install my banking app, but it needs a working Google Play or a working Google Camera for the QR code to scan. I can use it to sign transactions with a pin, but whenever it want's to scan a color code (Rabobank) I have to use scrcy (screencopy) to hook it up to a PC and get the color code there, because 4k colors on eInk are never going to be recognized by the rabo scanner.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #173
skynet84
Enthusiast
skynet84 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Hi guys! Take a look at my Hisense A5 Pro CC Unboxing!
https://youtu.be/A4mO1PVP5Cs
Let me know if you have any request or suggestion because I will release soon a deep videoreview ��
Subscribe to my channel, this way you can help me to increase my Youtube channel. Thank you! ����
skynet84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:54 AM   #174
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep. The worst are the banking apps. I'm tied to an out of date device just to run the infernal banking apps. What I want to do is use something like Genymotion or buy a spare phone just to keep at home to run them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Forget about the frontlight: Use real light. The A5 pro cc is beautiful in full sunshine and very clear in the store (TL overlights.) Of course, if you sit in your comfy chair with no reading lamp (paradox in itself!) and romantic christmas lighting, you can turn it on the frontlight. But it is never that beautiful.

It's eInk. It's the counterpart to LED. That one is good in the dark, this one is good in the light and reasonable in the dark: Not beautiful. Be sure to understand that the beauty is not that the resolution only gives you newspaper quality pictures (and video!), the beauty is that it gives you ePaper with 4k colors!
But it's never going to be very good if you evaluate it in the dark. I can't even read my iPhone in the sunshine. However, I am used to it and won't complain about that obvious shortcoming of the technology.

I am just starting to realize that I am moving away for a bit from LED screens. Even while writing this, I am staring at a LED. It's everywhere. So you shouldn't be worried if you find that the devices don't work like your LED; That the white is a bit off. It has 4k colors. The gamut isn't going to be like a LED with milllions. However, it is very nice. Even though most people, that I show it to find it interesting, but not as good as their phone. Because it isn't OLED. And I quite agree. It isn't OLED: it's eInk.

And for the sake of everyday use: You can use it everywhere. Even in the sun. It has a battery that after a day of intensive use shows somewhere between 78% and 83%. I still charge it every night, because Li-batteries like to be topped off and I am used to my iPhone being at 3%-10% at that time. I can give it to my children without the worry of eyes being to long on a screen.

So that is the positive side. The negative side obviously is the dependency of a _lot_ of apps on Google. I can't use Google Play. And I am wondering whether I want to. Google is nice, but I don't like to be dependent on it. If you install apk's of Google services*, etc. etc., you get rid of all the nag boxes of apps saying that they need Google. Even the Google keyboard can be sideloaded: It won't even nag at you, as it does when you have installed it from Play and disabled Play afterwards.** But there are still limits.

I can install my banking app, but it needs a working Google Play or a working Google Camera for the QR code to scan. I can use it to sign transactions with a pin, but whenever it want's to scan a color code (Rabobank) I have to use scrcy (screencopy) to hook it up to a PC and get the color code there, because 4k colors on eInk are never going to be recognized by the rabo scanner.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #175
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
Yep. The worst are the banking apps. I'm tied to an out of date device just to run the infernal banking apps. What I want to do is use something like Genymotion or buy a spare phone just to keep at home to run them....
So running a VM on a website to bypass hardware restrictions......It seems simpler to run a VM on the device. But would it be possible. I remember the ThinApps: Software encapsuled in a VM with all necessary dependencies to make them portable. That's really what's needed for Android, too.

It's still going: ThinApps

Apparently, VM on Android it is called vmos.

Seeing that they discuss Xposed in the FAQ it is geared towards hacking.
Some other interesting points:
- Why can't I use the SIM card to make a call?
This function is currently under developing.
- Why can't I use NFC?
It's under developing.
- Why does the phone stuck and became very hot?
The real phone configuration is not good enough.

Still going to try installing the apk-file. If my Hisense runs hot, I'll let you know.

Last edited by Markismus; 01-15-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #176
jago25_98
Zealot

I think I've found a better solution:
Keep an phone at home and remotely connect into that.
No, wait! The only app that can do this phone to phone I've found is AirMirror and it needs root on the serving phone.

By the way, watch out with VMOS. Chinese made. Many permissions....

Quote:
So running a VM on a website to bypass hardware restrictions......It seems simpler to run a VM on the device. But would it be possible. I remember the ThinApps: Software encapsuled in a VM with all necessary dependencies to make them portable. That's really what's needed for Android, too.

It's still going: ThinApps

Apparently, VM on Android it is called vmos.

Seeing that they discuss Xposed in the FAQ it is geared towards hacking.
Some other interesting points:
- Why can't I use the SIM card to make a call?
This function is currently under developing.
- Why can't I use NFC?
It's under developing.
- Why does the phone stuck and became very hot?
The real phone configuration is not good enough.

Still going to try installing the apk-file. If my Hisense runs hot, I'll let you know.

Last edited by jago25_98; 01-28-2021 at 07:03 AM.
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #177
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Hisense A7 CC is said to have been released.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=337081
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #178
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe someone can offer me some advice ? E-ink is great for me as I get no eye strain from it.
I'm deciding between getting the A5 (google play,cect shop) and A5C(google play ali express). I intend using it as my main phone and the frontlight only when necessary. Will I miss out on something if I don't go for color ? Is the A5c contrast good enough ? If it not, can it be solved by turning it into b&w ? Is the A5 good enough for google maps(no color) ? How do pictures look in both phones
?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #179
Markismus
Guru

@Tracey Both models are available from Cect-shop.
There is an A7 instead of the A5.
A5ProCC doesn't have Google Play, yet. Even though they suggest it on AliExpress. However, if you use Aurora, you can install from Google Play indirectly.
What you will be missing is Google services. So apps that depend on it, will probably nag you about it. Paradoxically, if you install Google services the nags disappear, but some apps, e.g. Google maps won't work anymore.
This first generation A5ProCC has the greyish color of the older Eink devices. The color is the quality of newspapers, so not that good.
Still very happy with mine thought. The device keeps been updated. All apps work nowadays.I wouldn't want an Eink mobile without color.
The contrast is great outdoors! It's great in well illuminated places such as supermarkets. Backlight will always be able to make the contrast good. However, the screen isn't beautiful anymore.

Ideally, try to wait for the 2nd generation color eInk.

Last edited by Markismus; 05-19-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #180
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Tracey Both models are available from Cect-shop.
There is an A7 instead of the A5.
A5ProCC doesn't have Google Play, yet. Even though they suggest it on AliExpress. However, if you use Aurora, you can install from Google Play indirectly.
What you will be missing is Google services. So apps that depend on it, will probably nag you about it. Paradoxically, if you install Google services the nags disappear, but some apps, e.g. Google maps won't work anymore.
This first generation A5ProCC has the greyish color of the older Eink devices. The color is the quality of newspapers, so not that good.
Still very happy with mine thought. The device keeps been updated. All apps work nowadays.I wouldn't want an Eink mobile without color.
The contrast is great outdoors! It's great in well illuminated places such as supermarkets. Backlight will always be able to make the contrast good. However, the screen isn't beautiful anymore.

Ideally, try to wait for the 2nd generation color eInk.
The A5C on CECT shop doesn't have pre-installed play store unfortunately. Only the A5. There is an A5c with play store being sold on Aliexpress though.

Well, Play Services are important to me, not willing to go through that hassle again so it's either the A5 or A5c for me..some people are saying the A5 is better but the color version is tempting me. Also I've seen people say ti not buy through Aliexpress which makes me lean towards A5. I just wonder if it's enough for a main phone.

Would getting an A5 now and wait for a future hisense Color phone be a good way to go ? I definitely want an E-ink phone now.

Last edited by tracey1; 05-19-2021 at 09:12 AM.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote