Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #421
elmimmo
elmimmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Question Works with AZW files?

I tried to unpack a deDRM'ed AZW file but got the quote below. Any hint how to make it work with this AZW file?

Code:
MobiUnpack 0.53
   Based on initial version Copyright © 2009 Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
   Extensions / Improvements Copyright © 2009-2012 P. Durrant, K. Hendricks, S. Siebert, fandrieu, DiapDealer, nickredding.
   This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
   the Free Software Foundation, version 3.
Unpacking Book...
Palm DB type:  BOOKMOBI
Mobi Version:  6
Codec:  utf-8
Title:  ••••••••••
Palmdoc compression

Processing Mobi format Ebook ...
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 405 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 406 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 407 found
Warning: Unknown metadata with id 403 found
Unpack raw markup language
Unpacking images, resources, fonts, etc
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/jorge/bin/mobi_unpack.py", line 1087, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/Users/jorge/bin/mobi_unpack.py", line 1075, in main
    unpackBook(infile, outdir)
  File "/Users/jorge/bin/mobi_unpack.py", line 957, in unpackBook
    process_all_mobi_headers(files, sect, mhlst, K8Boundary, False)
  File "/Users/jorge/bin/mobi_unpack.py", line 705, in process_all_mobi_headers
    usize, fflags, dstart, xor_len, xor_start = struct.unpack_from('>LLLLL',data,4)
struct.error: unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 20 bytes
elmimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #422
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Use version 0.54, which has some code to stop corrupt fonts crashing the procedure.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #423
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Definitely a funky embedded font situation. Sure would like to get a hold of a legal, non-DRMed KF8 file that exhibits this behavior to see exactly what's going on.

To my knowledge... v0.54 should preserve the entire raw resource record as a *.failed file in the unpacked data. That was done in the hopes that someday, someone would be able to take a look at it and see what might be going on. I'd settle for the file-size of the .failed file, for starters, if anyone comes across the situation.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #424
elmimmo
elmimmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
v0.54 should preserve the entire raw resource record as a *.failed file in the unpacked data
v0.54 worked, and it did exactly as you described: "font00002.failed, font00003.failed…". Images and HTML was extracted correctly. Thanks.
elmimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #425
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you happen to catch the sizes of any of those .failed files?
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #426
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated to v0.55, incorporating changes to fix the double startoffset metadata in the extracted .azw3 file.

Also the AppleScript has a spiffy new icon.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #427
amarie0
Enthusiast
amarie0 doesn't litteramarie0 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle
Awesome artwork Paul! https://twitter.com/amarie/status/261829113550082049
amarie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #428
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Some proposed changes to MobiUnpack for perusal and opinions. Very minor.

Changes to mobi_opf.py: escaping even more metadata so invalid OPFs are avoided. I honestly thought I had the bases covered when I escaped the contents of the two "handler" methods, but metadata like "Updated Title" was still falling through the cracks when containing '&' and such. I escaped "Subject" tag contents for good measure as well.

Changes to mobi_unpack.py: this one's frankly because there's a bug in my plugin that I flat-out can't fix without a change to the underlying MobiUnpack code. I feel a little sleazy requesting the change, but in all honesty, the bug could affect any programs that may want to import some of Mobi_Unpack's code as modules in the future (or at least that's what I'm telling myself).

Anyway... python's unicode function will blow up if you try to use it on a string that's already unicode. And since calibre's strings are unicode by default ... passing a unicode filepath string to MobiUnpack's unpackBook method will blow up later when an attempt to "re"-unicode the basename portion of that string is made. I've added a simple check to determine whether or not the string is already unicode before further processing. Without this change, no unicode filepath strings can be passed to the main method. I have to convert them to normal strings first -- which of course, means that no non-ascii characters can be a part of the file's pathname. Unless I'm missing something obvious, which is always quite probable.

I also have a weird test-case azw3 that brings up a fantastically convoluted encoding issue, but I may need to ponder that a bit more yet.

EDIT: to those who downloaded the very first zip, I apologize, I made a mistake and tried to upload the correct one as soon as possible, but a couple of people beat me. Download again for the latest—and what I think is the correct—version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi_Unpack_v056.zip (45.7 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-26-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #429
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Some proposed changes to MobiUnpack for perusal and opinions. Very minor.
They sounds sensible. I'll take a look tomorrow.

I don't see any harm in changing Mobiunpack to be a bit more robust when it comes to unicode. It might make sense to be a bit more thorough, thanks.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-27-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #430
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

MobiUnpack 0.56 now uploaded to first post.

The AppleScript has been enhanced to dump debug info if option key held down on launch.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #431
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The first post still seems to have v0.55 attached to it.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #432
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Well, how did I manage that?

Now updated with version 0.57. I found a problem with splitting a file downloaded from the KDP website preview, now fixed.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #433
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'll see your version 0.57 and raise you a version 0.58 that outputs the original kindlegen build log -- which is apparently all the new 'CMET' record is comprised of that kindlegen 2.7 includes in its output.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi_Unpack_v058.zip (46.0 KB, 222 views)
Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #434
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I'll see your version 0.57 and raise you a version 0.58 that outputs the original kindlegen build log -- which is apparently all the new 'CMET' record is comprised of that kindlegen 2.7 includes in its output.
Now uploaded to the first post. Nice addition.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #435
steppe
Enthusiast
steppe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (broke), Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamselene View Post
Most of this post now by pdurrant.

Mobiunpack is a python script that takes a Kindle/Mobipocket ebook and extracts the HTML, images and metadata contained in the ebook, and puts them in a form suitable for passing to KindleGen.
Thanks guys for this gadget and for the updates. It is invaluable when working with picture books.
steppe is offline   Reply With Quote