Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2023, 02:00 PM   #61
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This code doesn't do anything. It's the same as a blank <div>.
Um, that's kind of the point? A <div> works in ADE 2.0.1. And so will <figure> if defined to display as a block element.

Nothing blows up, nothing borks, the epub3 with <figure> will load and just work. Like <div>, EXACTLY.

Otherwise, the only "magic" the <figure> tag has is better semantics for those using screen readers. It may, at some point, help with adhering captions to images/figures, but reading systems aren't quite there yet. And ADE 2.0.1 is so far back in the dust, it never will be there.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:12 PM   #62
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I have tried using <figure class="centre"> with no success. (obviously I am trying to horizontally centre the image on the page). But when I change to <div class="centre"> there is no problem.

This on Libra2 using epub3
Take a look at the sample epub3 I just uploaded. The images are centered. In both ADE 2.0.1 and on my Kobo Sage and for that matter, on my decade old Sony T2.
Advert
Old 06-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #63
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Jon:

With all due respect, sure, we use ADE 2.01 to check the odd thing here and there, but AFAIK, nobody is still using that to read. I mean...come on. Even those of us in the Curmudgeon Class have to move on at SOME point.

Hitch
Yeah, really. I have it, mostly for DRM stripping purposes, but really, it's ANCIENT.

I get that Jon doesn't see the point of epub3, I was there back in the day, when it was new and scary, because heck, I didn't see any need for videos in my books either, and still don't! And it was a whole new set of stuff to learn.

But as my own eyesight is less than it was, I am more interested in making an epub that should the day come, if I had to use a screen reader, might be more friendly. Once, if you lost your sight, you might lose the ability to read, unless you could both learn Braille and get the title you want as Braille. Up with TECHNOLOGY for the win!

If I couldn't read, part of my soul would die.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:17 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Jon:

With all due respect, sure, we use ADE 2.01 to check the odd thing here and there, but AFAIK, nobody is still using that to read. I mean...come on. Even those of us in the Curmudgeon Class have to move on at SOME point.

Hitch
Kobo is using an old version of RMSDK. It may be newer then ADE 2.0.1. I think it may be a ADE v3 RMSDK Kobo is using. But it still doesn't handle ePub 3 natively. This means a lot of people are using an old version of RMSDK when not reading KePub.

ePub 3 should be as compatible with ePub 2 as possible because you don't know what software is going to be used to read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:26 PM   #65
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Yeah, really. I have it, mostly for DRM stripping purposes, but really, it's ANCIENT.

I get that Jon doesn't see the point of epub3, I was there back in the day, when it was new and scary, because heck, I didn't see any need for videos in my books either, and still don't! And it was a whole new set of stuff to learn.

But as my own eyesight is less than it was, I am more interested in making an epub that should the day come, if I had to use a screen reader, might be more friendly. Once, if you lost your sight, you might lose the ability to read, unless you could both learn Braille and get the title you want as Braille. Up with TECHNOLOGY for the win!

If I couldn't read, part of my soul would die.
I mean, hell, I'm all for using old stuff, to check and even we mostly use ADE 4.x. There are too many things, too many ePUBs, etc. that won't' work in 2.3.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2023, 03:42 PM   #66
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo is using an old version of RMSDK.
So this is actually an interesting point. What versions of the RMSDK are being used by what ereader devices?

And a related question is what's stopping the ereader manufacturers from updating? As software developers they should be used to keeping third party libraries etc updated, so it surely isn't technical. Money?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:18 PM   #67
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
So this is actually an interesting point. What versions of the RMSDK are being used by what ereader devices?

And a related question is what's stopping the ereader manufacturers from updating? As software developers they should be used to keeping third party libraries etc updated, so it surely isn't technical. Money?
He's not wrong, the older KObos are using the old RMSDK. I don't think it's 2.1, though, like the old Nooks. I COULD be wrong, as we all know. As rare an event as it is, it does still occur--occasionally.

ψ( ` ∇ ´ )ψ

MWAHAHHAHA.

Hitch
Old 06-02-2023, 04:20 PM   #68
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
I mean, hell, I'm all for using old stuff, to check and even we mostly use ADE 4.x. There are too many things, too many ePUBs, etc. that won't' work in 2.3.

Hitch
Yep. Last summer I took advantage of a small publisher discount to buy a DRM-free ebook directly from their site. Said ebook did not have a cover image appear on my Kobo. The cover image was there, inside the epub2, but no cover page in the document.

Let's just say IT HAD BEEN A WHILE since I had last worked with epub2. I attempted to add the cover page manually, using CSS3 code that works fine with epub3. IT DID NOT FLY! My bad.

I then contacted the publisher, nicely, to suggest that when offering a DRM-free epub, featuring the original artwork from the vintage book as the cover on their website, they needed to code it so that the reader could actually enjoy the artwork on their reader. The publisher agreed. She wanted people to buy direct! The next batch of books I bought, no missing cover issues.

If Jon is trying to make <figure> work in an epub2, which I suspect he is, I don't think he's going to have much luck.

If he's expecting a <figure> tag in epub3 to magically do something visible and exciting other than behave more or less like a <div>, he's gonna be disappointed as well. It's not gonna magically animate the illustration or photo like in a Harry Potter newspaper or textbook, LOL!

Mind you, what with AI and all, who knows, maybe such an animation could happen in some future reading system. Doubt I'll be alive to see it, which, I suspect will be something to be thankful for, actually.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #69
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
ψ( ` ∇ ´ )ψ
Is that a quantum mechanics reference?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #70
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Take a look at the sample epub3 I just uploaded. The images are centered. In both ADE 2.0.1 and on my Kobo Sage and for that matter, on my decade old Sony T2.
hmmm, it does work.
I'll need to find the blooper I made with my css.
Thanks
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:51 PM   #71
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
What I like in EPUB3 is the CSS pseudo-element support, which allows to shorten the code or some functions that EPUB2.* does not support, for example letrine

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...seudo-elements

p::first-letter {
font-size: 1.5rem;
}

etc

As for the development of PDF, as it fell right at the beginning, the source of the offense was secured as an internal launch of malicious scripts.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:58 PM   #72
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
hmmm, it does work.
I'll need to find the blooper I made with my css.
Thanks
It's always nice to see people politely sharing knowledge and politely resolving differences with logic and examples complete enough to to try without fiddling.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:42 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
What I like in EPUB3 is the CSS pseudo-element support, which allows to shorten the code or some functions that EPUB2.* does not support, for example letrine

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...seudo-elements

p::first-letter {
font-size: 1.5rem;
}

etc

As for the development of PDF, as it fell right at the beginning, the source of the offense was secured as an internal launch of malicious scripts.
But if your ePub might be read on software that doesn't understand p::first-letter, then it's best to do it the ePub 2 way so it works in most cases. For example, if you have an ePub up for sale. For your own use, it's fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:36 AM   #74
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Is that a quantum mechanics reference?
It's a Quantum, "I'm really sick to death of this topic" reference. :-)

Hitch
Old 06-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #75
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think there should be a fork. Epub 3.x has much that's irrelevant to static ebooks. Audio, animation, video and interactive (other than screen/window reflow) has no place in an ebook standard. Browser capabilities rather than features needed for static electronic copies of printed books has too much driven this.

We saw the same with PDFs. The PDF development should have forked, one fork to preview or replicate or source for paper print and the other fork for filling in forms, interactive, multimedia etc.

Feature creep in the wrong direction. A horse designed by a committee. Inevitable when epub was rolled into the W3 org. There is also no need for Fixed Layout Epub. That is as well served by a PDF.

Obviously better support for maths/formula, vector graphics, fonts, languages, multicolumn etc was needed than in epub2 which was a missed opportunity.

I want ebooks that can replicate any print document. I don't want "Harry Potter" style ebooks, or ebooks aspiring to be merely paginated versions of multimedia interactive websites, though a web browser that paginates, has jump to page and TOC like an ebook would be an improvement over the scrolling. Scrolls are so 2000 years ago.
Nah. Just because the options are there doesn't mean you have to use them. Plus this:

(source)
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote