Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #121
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And I will take an eBook with UK style en dashes and fix it to US style em dashes. It reads so much better. en dashes look like a mistake.
Jon, perhaps to you, it reads so much better. Others may will disagree. What I want is to have consistency. Reading with an en dash and spaces or an em dash and no spaces is fine. Having them mixed in the same book for the same purposes? That is downright annoying.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:50 PM   #122
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But that is purely your own preference and opinion. If you were formatting ebooks in a publishing business you'd have to apply the house rules.
If I was doing that, I'd try to get them to see how much better the eBooks are properly formatted. I know it may be my preferences, but I do think that more people would like my preferences then not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2022, 03:52 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, perhaps to you, it reads so much better. Others may will disagree. What I want is to have consistency. Reading with an en dash and spaces or an em dash and no spaces is fine. Having them mixed in the same book for the same purposes? That is downright annoying.
But it is wrong to have spaces around an em dash. And yes, it's also wrong to mix en and em dashes.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:52 PM   #124
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
At least you can probably fix it unless it's on paper? Most people are stuck with what they get.
Yes, of course, I *can.* But why should I have to? It's not even Indy pubbed, for crying out loud!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:20 PM   #125
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, of course, I *can.* But why should I have to? It's not even Indy pubbed, for crying out loud!

Hitch
It's very annoying. Took me an entire day to fix a book, over 200 errors apparently due to not checking an OCR, or very inept checking. But the content was good (A Manning Coles story) and the Lady here will now not be troubled when she reads it. I annotated as I read, then exported it as a docx. I reported it to Amazon and gave a suitable negative review of the proof-reading too (which they accepted).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2022, 05:31 PM   #126
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I don't bother changing USA texts with properly done em dashes. But if I'm fixing a British/Irish book I will do proper spaced en dashes.
A dolly mixture of styles of paragraphing, em vs en with spaces and inconsistent dialogue outer and inner quotes is terrible. Or even on one sentence,Are we going now?
UK isn't always ‘outer single quotes’, some UK publishers & eras do use “and” and Irish publishers often do. Totally crazy when there is a nested quote and the quote style isn't swapped, that's almost junior school English.

Especially with older books I don't mind British or American styles, spelling and grammar as long as it is a British/Irish book or an American one.

Reading a book at the moment that's mostly UK style and possibly UK author & publisher, but she has watched too much USA TV. It's like an American book translated to British!

Last edited by Quoth; 04-19-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:38 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, I don't bother changing USA texts with properly done em dashes. But if I'm fixing a British/Irish book I will do proper spaced en dashes.
A dolly mixture of styles of paragraphing, em vs en with spaces and inconsistent dialogue outer and inner quotes is terrible. Or even on one sentence,Are we going now?
UK isn't always ‘outer single quotes’, some UK publishers & eras do use “and” and Irish publishers often do. Totally crazy when there is a nested quote and the quote style isn't swapped, that's almost junior school English.

Especially with older books I don't mind British or American styles, spelling and grammar as long as it is a British/Irish book or an American one.

Reading a book at the moment that's mostly UK style and possibly UK author & publisher, but she has watched too much USA TV. It's like an American book translated to British!
I don't mind UK words and phrases. But I do prefer US styling with double quotes for speech, en dashes with no space, and ellipses with no space.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:43 PM   #128
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
But it is wrong to have spaces around an em dash. And yes, it's also wrong to mix en and em dashes.
And yet, the AP style guide states that a space on each side of the em dash is required.

Jon, at some point in time, you will need to realize that just because it's not being done the way you would prefer, that it is not wrong. Unless you can provide images of the stone tablets you brought down from the mountain with those rules on them, please stop trying to make your opinions sound like authoritative facts.

Quote:
I was at the Tsawwassen ferry terminal for a Vancouver–Victoria sailing on Friday when the couple in the car ahead of mine—a couple of real twits—almost missed the sailing when they wandered off to walk their dog.
Note the en dash between Vancouver/Victoria is used in the sense 'to' much as in Monday–Friday. So it can be correct to mix en and em dashes in the same sentence, even an en dash with no spaces.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #129
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
And yet, the AP style guide states that a space on each side of the em dash is required.

Jon, at some point in time, you will need to realize that just because it's not being done the way you would prefer, that it is not wrong. Unless you can provide images of the stone tablets you brought down from the mountain with those rules on them, please stop trying to make your opinions sound like authoritative facts.

Note the en dash between Vancouver/Victoria is used in the sense 'to' much as in Monday–Friday. So it can be correct to mix en and em dashes in the same sentence, even an en dash with no spaces.
I totally agree, but I would also point out that AP is a written (paper) standard… unless it’s changed in the last X-moons since I read it, I don’t think it has an electronic publication section???

The technique of having a non-breaking space before the en dash, and a regular space after, would at least anchor the dash to the previous word… it’d look awfully funny if the dash were at the beginning of a line with the last part of the word.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:27 PM   #130
roland1
Connoisseur
roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can go one better than the em dash by confessing here that I use BOTH US AND UK SPELLING SIMULTANEOUSLY! [gasp.]

I find that certain words, like color, are WAY more economical on the eyes than all that leftover latin/french "u" stuff that we Canadians still have to slog around.

At other times, there are US spellings like "traveler" which look like a spelling error to me until I add the extra "L". And why is it not "speling" in US if it can be "traveler"?

Insanity. I am drawing a line in the digital sand. From here on in, I'm spelling my way.

I just published the kindle and regular epub versions of my new book today using the more modest css styling set as suggested by you folks.

Thanks again for that. (AND Hitch for suggesting the .2em padding on the paragraphs which I think gives it some of the lost finesse of books that are trying to save paper by cramming too much stuff together. [cough cough, em dash, cough cough.]

Last edited by roland1; 04-19-2022 at 09:31 PM.
roland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:45 AM   #131
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland1 View Post
I can go one better than the em dash by confessing here that I use BOTH US AND UK SPELLING SIMULTANEOUSLY! [gasp.]

I find that certain words, like color, are WAY more economical on the eyes than all that leftover latin/french "u" stuff that we Canadians still have to slog around.
I know Canada has USA cultural imports, but really you'll annoy the vast majority of readers doing your own hybrid of USA and British spelling. Also how can you reliably spellcheck it without your own custom dictionary.

It will just seem badly proofed. Use USA or not, not two schemes.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:48 AM   #132
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I don't mind UK words and phrases. But I do prefer US styling with double quotes for speech …
USA only uses outer double quotes. Single or double is a House style decision in the UK and often double in other countries using British English.

You can have your own style rules on your own publishing.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:50 AM   #133
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I totally agree, but I would also point out that AP is a written (paper) standard… unless it’s changed in the last X-moons since I read it, I don’t think it has an electronic publication section???

The technique of having a non-breaking space before the en dash, and a regular space after, would at least anchor the dash to the previous word… it’d look awfully funny if the dash were at the beginning of a line with the last part of the word.
Yes, all true.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:26 AM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland1 View Post

At other times, there are US spellings like "traveler" which look like a spelling error to me until I add the extra "L". And why is it not "speling" in US if it can be "traveler"?

Insanity. I am drawing a line in the digital sand. From here on in, I'm spelling my way.

I just published the kindle and regular epub versions of my new book today using the more modest css styling set as suggested by you folks.

Thanks again for that. (AND Hitch for suggesting the .2em padding on the paragraphs which I think gives it some of the lost finesse of books that are trying to save paper by cramming too much stuff together. [cough cough, em dash, cough cough.]
It's not about saving space. It's about how it looks and the .2em space does not look good.

I also agree that you should not mix different regions spellings. Go for the one where you think your book will sell best.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #135
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
It's not about saving space. It's about how it looks and the .2em space does not look good.

I also agree that you should not mix different regions spellings. Go for the one where you think your book will sell best.
Yes, or what people will expect. The "Celtic Otherworld" series sells best in USA, but British English makes more sense. Though in a later book when a team is in the USA some USA terms are used, but still British spelling.

Vocabulary is different for USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa and to some extent between Ireland and Great Britain (there are regional versions in GB too) even when words have the same spelling so books are best using your native vocabulary unless it's completely set elsewhere with the local characters and that is actually hard to do. Words might have same spelling but unrelated meanings or normal usage.