Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Ah, okay. Sorry, I hadn't checked the availability on some of the ones I didn't nominate.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:37 AM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My third nomination is another book that I already own and someday intend to read! Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff.

From Goodreads:
Quote:
The Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer brings to life the most intriguing woman in the history of the world: Cleopatra, the last queen of Egypt.

Her palace shimmered with onyx, garnets, and gold, but was richer still in political and sexual intrigue. Above all else, Cleopatra was a shrewd strategist and an ingenious negotiator.

Though her life spanned fewer than forty years, it reshaped the contours of the ancient world. She was married twice, each time to a brother. She waged a brutal civil war against the first when both were teenagers. She poisoned the second. Ultimately she dispensed with an ambitious sister as well; incest and assassination were family specialties. Cleopatra appears to have had sex with only two men. They happen, however, to have been Julius Caesar and Mark Antony, among the most prominent Romans of the day. Both were married to other women. Cleopatra had a child with Caesar and–after his murder–three more with his protégé. Already she was the wealthiest ruler in the Mediterranean; the relationship with Antony confirmed her status as the most influential woman of the age. The two would together attempt to forge a new empire, in an alliance that spelled their ends. Cleopatra has lodged herself in our imaginations ever since.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 12:39 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Ah, okay. Sorry, I hadn't checked the availability on some of the ones I didn't nominate.
Thanks for sharing your other ideas! They were inspirational certainly. They were very interesting and worth considering for my never-ending TBR list.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:49 AM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Fire From Heaven by Mary Renault (about the young Alexander)
Mary Renault is another author on my TBR list that I intend to read someday. Thanks for highlighting this one. It looks good!
Old 03-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for sharing your other ideas! They were inspirational certainly. They were very interesting and worth considering for my never-ending TBR list.
Definitely! I was already preparing them to post when I saw your reply about having a hard time finding nominations so I thought I'd go ahead and post just in case it helped. I know for me I like seeing everyone's nominations and ideas and enjoy looking into all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Mary Renault is another author on my TBR list that I intend to read someday. Thanks for highlighting this one. It looks good!
Yes, I've also wanted to read her for a long time now too; specifically I've had The Charioteer on my list for awhile but many of her books look good.
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are complete and voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly four days from this post.

Each person has EIGHT votes to use.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

An interesting selection. It is going to be a very unique month with this topic!
Old 03-06-2020, 06:03 AM   #23
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I've read Steven Saylor's Roma, which was quite good. He's well versed in Roman history. I also thoroughly enjoyed Quo Vadis. A great book I read as an Easter selection a few years ago.
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #24
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I went through quite some mental gymnastics trying to come up with nominations for this one. I thought first of the classical writers hoping to come up with something very readable similar to how Spinnenmonat's A True Story by Lucian last year was. But everything I looked at was either very long, read clunkerly, and most fictional were in verse (which I steer clear of ).

Then there were things like the Iliad and The Odyssey which, while older stories, were (I think) first written down during the Republic era but which version, verse or prose, or which of the myriad translators who have had a go at them.

I remembered really enjoying Lloyd C. Douglas's The Robe and The Big Fisherman many years ago (they are on my list for a reread, one day ) and I think The Robe was one of the most popular novels ever last century but even though I am not religious myself I thought the tie in during the life of Jesus may have been a bit touchy.

So took the nasty short cut of basing my nominations on the movies and TV versions I had seen (and which were on my reading list).

But the total list looks very interesting; choices, choices, choices.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #25
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
From me:

2 I, Claudius - Robert Graves
2 Cleopatra - Stacy Schiff
2 Agrippa’s Daughter - Howard Fast
1 Salammbô - Gustave Flaubert
1 Spartacus - Howard Fast
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:44 AM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I've sampled them all and, per usual, I don't have a strong preference nor any I don't want to win. I guess I'm a little hesitant of the longest ones after we just had a month with a long selection, but I surprised myself and have already finished that one, so I think I'm up for tackling whatever this month.

My decision on what not to support is twofold. There are two Fast books, so I decided I'd choose one of those to not receive a vote. Also, I'm familiar with the Spartacus story, although if it wins I'll be happy to read the book. I'm also familiar with Julius Caesar but I haven't read Shakespeare in forever and have never read this one (though I've seen it performed) and I've been wanting to get back to reading him at some point. I'm also somewhat familiar with Cleopatra but only on a very surface level- mostly her time with Mark Antony and Caesar and her famous ending. So, it'd be interesting to actually read about what her entire life was like.

As for Spartacus, I've seen the old film, as well as some of the 21st century television series. The film was 50 years before the series, yet the Spartacus of the series sadly passed away before the Spartacus of the film (although Mr. Douglas has, of course, passed not that long ago now too).

1 to The Eagle of the Ninth
1 to Roman Blood
1 to I, Claudius
1 to Quo Vadis
1 to Salammbô
1 to Agrippa's Daughter
1 to Julius Caesar
1 to Cleopatra
Old 03-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

It's noticeable to me that while we didn't nominate anything written during the Roman Empire or Republic, we did nominate books from eight(!) very diverse decades.

Also while I love all our topics, it's interesting to see a month here or there where the nominations end up more thematically cohesive so thanks to astrangerhere for the idea and AnotherCat for the topic.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I will do my research today on the choices and post my votes later. I don’t have any strong preferences.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:41 AM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Here are my votes:

2 I, Claudius - Robert Graves
2 Cleopatra - Stacy Schiff
2 Agrippa’s Daughter - Howard Fast
1 Roman Blood - Stephen Saylor
1 Salammbô - Gustave Flaubert
Old 03-10-2020, 12:42 AM   #30
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Et tu, March?

Initial voting is complete and we have a three-way tie between:

-I, Claudius
-Agrippa's Daughter
-Cleopatra

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has TWO votes to use.

If the run-off ends in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.