Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #31
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
OK. Thanks. All that excitement, but nothing there for me :-)

(Though I'm sure there are other less dramatic improvements.)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
See the full list of New Features in the release notes
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
OK, fill me in a bit please? The general message seems to be that Sigil 1.0.0 liberates us from 'obeying the rules'. But why do I WANT to create eBooks with a non-standard structure? Will the readers and distribution services out there accept them? I'm impressed, but confused.
There's no such rule, is the thing. It's purely useful from an organizational standpoint, but the only person who needs to care is the ebook creator.

And the thing about forcing an organizational standpoint to conform to Sigil's organization preferences, is that as KevinH mentioned, you might need to add resources to your book which require their own organization, and should be treated as a private component. A bit like a git submodule.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #34
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior47 View Post
Sorry, I have no screenshot, I'll try to explain/clearify a bit: This error just happens occasionally, not every time.
I wrote "pages" - in Sigil the correct name is "Section"...

I have a page/Section - e.g "Section_0031", which I then will split into a number of new sections. So when I split "Section_0031" I get a new page "Section_0032", which I then split again to a new page "Section_0033"

When the "split-error" occurs, e.g on "Section_0031", I end up with a bunch of empty sections, from "Section_0032" to "Section_00XX", where only the last Section have content.

Today I've got two errors, first it made pages from "Section_30" to "Section_38" where Section_31 to 37 where empty, then it creating "Section_38" to "Section_62" where page 38-61 where empty.
Yesterday: 45 and 61 empty sections...
I think Sigil throw an error when this occurs, someting like "can't split here" but I'm not sure, it's just a flash and disapear.

And yes, Ctrl+Return is keyboard shortcut for "Split At Cursor"

Svein
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well something is causing Sigil to get multiple Ctrl+Return requests--but only occasionally. A sticky key, or an overly sensitive auto-repeat are the only things I can think of that fits every single one of the given symptoms.

There's very few situations where a sticky return key would cause such drastic, and easily noticed results. A few extras lines here or there in documents, but new files being created? That's going to be hard to miss.
I got this behaviour yesterday but using the menu button "split at cursor". With previous versions of Sigil very occasionally using this button would create just one extra "empty" file, but it's inconsistent. However if there was a broken link in the file being split, Sigil would warn me "link destination does not exist, are you sure you want to split?" (or words to that effect, I don't remember the exact message) and if I clicked "yes" it would *always* create an extra empty file, as if the yes duplicated my original command. It happened rarely enough (and always when I had a close deadline...) that I forgot to report it, sorry.

Yesterday there were no broken links and I got about 20 empty files (= extra splits). Could be a sticky mouse button? In any case I will let you know if this happens again.

I'm using windows 8.1.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #35
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I have a question about keyboard localisation and keyboard shortcuts... I'm using Sigil with the interface in english but my keyboard is french and my system language is french.

I am trying to set a keyboard shortcut for "Restructure to Sigil norm". I want to use CTRL+* since it seems like an easy to remember and conflict-free choice. But when I type that in the preferences dialogue, Sigil tells me I have typed CTRL+\ and it conflicts with Back. The * on my keyboard is not on the same key as the \ so I thought maybe in this specific case only Sigil does not recognise my keyboard locale, but in regular use it obviously does because if I am writing a regex for instance the S/R dialogue correctly enters the *. I tried switching the interface language to french and relaunching Sigil, this did not work, then I tried looking up an english language keyboard to see where is the asterisk on that one and typing the equivalent keys for * (CTRL+SHIFT+8) but then Sigil said I typed CTRL+SHIFT+\ (in fact to type \ on my keyboard I need to type ALT GR+8).

Now I am just confused...

Is this a bug? Is * forbidden in keyboard shortcuts? Am I doing something wrong?

This is what my keyboard looks like:

Thanks to anyone who can help me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	French-keyboard-layout.png
Views:	123
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	175751  
Advert
Old 12-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can't get it to happen on any of my Windows systems (without holding the return key down too long) with any version of Sigil. I suppose there could be something flaky with Qt's KeyEvent that's been exacerbated in Qt5.12.6, but that seems really weird to me.

Do you have any kind of keyboard macro software installed?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #37
Mister L
Groupie

Quote:
I can't get it to happen on any of my Windows systems (without holding the return key down too long) with any version of Sigil. I suppose there could be something flaky with Qt's KeyEvent that's been exacerbated in Qt5.12.6, but that seems really weird to me.

Do you have any kind of keyboard macro software installed?
I don't know what keyboard macro software is so I am going to say probably no.

Is the question about the empty files on split or the keyboard localisation?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
I have a question about keyboard localisation and keyboard shortcuts... I'm using Sigil with the interface in english but my keyboard is french and my system language is french.

I am trying to set a keyboard shortcut for "Restructure to Sigil norm". I want to use CTRL+* since it seems like an easy to remember and conflict-free choice. But when I type that in the preferences dialogue, Sigil tells me I have typed CTRL+\ and it conflicts with Back. The * on my keyboard is not on the same key as the \ so I thought maybe in this specific case only Sigil does not recognise my keyboard locale, but in regular use it obviously does because if I am writing a regex for instance the S/R dialogue correctly enters the *. I tried switching the interface language to french and relaunching Sigil, this did not work, then I tried looking up an english language keyboard to see where is the asterisk on that one and typing the equivalent keys for * (CTRL+SHIFT+8) but then Sigil said I typed CTRL+SHIFT+\ (in fact to type \ on my keyboard I need to type ALT GR+8).

Now I am just confused...

Is this a bug? Is * forbidden in keyboard shortcuts? Am I doing something wrong?

This is what my keyboard looks like:

Thanks to anyone who can help me...
Qt's been notoriously flaky with the handling of Windows international keyboard layouts (especially the AltGr key) since time began. One version they fix something; the next version they break it again.

In the meantime, close Sigil, edit the Sigil.ini file and add the desired key sequence for the MainWindow.StandardizeEpub event manually. Sigil will honor the shortcut after that.

Sorry.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-20-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is the question about the empty files on split or the keyboard localisation?
Sorry. we were posting at the same time, I think. I was talking about the empty files on split.

Actually ... I dislike the use of the term "empty files." The files actually have quite a bit in them. There's just no content that renders in the body section.

And the only way that happens if Sigil believes the keyboard shortcut has been received when the cursor is before any renderable content. If it happens when the menu-item is used, then something is causing a signal to be fired more than once for some reason.

Unless someone can find the conditions under which it consistently happens ("random" is not something I believe in when it comes to bugs), there's not much I can do.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #40
Mister L
Groupie

Quote:
Qt's been notoriously flaky with the handling of Windows international key layouts (especially the AltGr key) since time began. One version they fix something; the next version they break it again.

In the meantime, close Sigil, edit the Sigil.ini file and add the desired key sequence for the MainWindow.StandardizeEpub event manually. Sigil will honor the shortcut after that.

Sorry.
Thank you!! Worked perfectly. And now I know what to do if I have the problem again.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #41
Mister L
Groupie

Quote:
Sorry. we were posting at the same time, I think. I was talking about the empty files on split.

Actually ... I dislike the use of the term "empty files." The files actually have quite a bit in them. There's just no content that renders in the body section.
Haha, true. I will refer to extra splits from now on.

Quote:
And the only way that happens if Sigil believes the keyboard shortcut has been received when the cursor is before any renderable content. If it happens when the menu-item is used, then something is causing a signal to be fired more than once for some reason.

Unless someone can find the conditions under which it consistently happens ("random" is not something I believe in when it comes to bugs), there's not much I can do.
I will try to notice if there is anything consistent if it happens to me again. When it happened yesterday I was splitting a file which had content before and after the cursor.

Coincidentally I just got the error message about splitting again so I can tell you exactly what it says:

"The href Section0018.xhtml#_idContainer002 found in OEBPS/Text/toc.xhtml does not exist (and there may be more). Splitting or merging under these conditions can result in broken links. Do you still wish to continue?"

The error is completely accurate and normal as I have not yet generated the toc in this book and a lot has changed since I exported from InDesign so I am not bothered if there are bad links in it. The first time I got the message I clicked yes and got one extra split. Then I tried to replicate the behaviour so I set my cursor in the original file at the same place, clicked the split button, got the message, clicked yes... and got no extra split. Three times. So I'm really not sure what to say about that. But I will report if it happens again.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you!! Worked perfectly. And now I know what to do if I have the problem again.
No problem. I'm also looking at how Sigil registers the keyboard events in the Shortcut Manager widget (when setting shortcuts) to see if anything can be done to mitigate the issue. It seems to me that MainWindow is registering the correct key sequence event during normal Sigil use (hence why manually entering the key sequence works), but not when registering the entered key sequence in the Shortcut Manager.

@Kevin: if you're reading this, what do you think about Qt's own warning that the Qt::KeyboardModifiers function of QtKeyEvent we use in KeyboardShorcutsWidget.cpp is "untrustworthy" ?

That section of Sigil is deep, dark, unpenetratable magic to me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-20-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #43
Mister L
Groupie

Quote:
No problem. I'm also looking at how Sigil registers the keyboard events in the Shortcut Manager widget (when setting shortcuts) to see if anything can be done to mitigate the issue. It seems to me that MainWindow is registering the correct key sequence event during normal Sigil use (hence why manually entering the key sequence works), but not when registering the entered key sequence in the Shortcut Manager.
This sounds accurate, as shortcuts and text entry work find in the main window / S/R dialogue / renaming files etc.

Quote:
@Kevin: if you're reading this, what do you think about Qt's own warning that the Qt::KeyboardModifiers function of QtKeyEvent we use in KeyboardShorcutsWidget.cpp is "untrustworthy" ?

That section of Sigil is deep, dark, unpenetratable magic to me.
It's all deep, dark, unpenetratable magic to me, so thanks again and all my respect.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is just a wag on my parts... but multiple threads are used to validate that a split is safe. Typically we need to collect/sync/reap all such threads before returning from the routine that spawns them.

Could extra threads being created to validate a book with many existing chapters somehow be related?

How many files/sections/chapters were in your book when it exhibited this behaviour? One big one being split? Or many already existing?
Old 12-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hmm, I have not looked at the keyboard shortcut code in a very long time as it has not been touched in years. I will try and dig into it to see if anything is obvious.

Normally code determines the key sequence to be used, but in the ShortCut Manager we use the key sequence generated by the user which would be keyboard mapping dependent.

Hmm worth a look?

Kevin

Quote:
This sounds accurate, as shortcuts and text entry work find in the main window / S/R dialogue / renaming files etc.

It's all deep, dark, unpenetratable magic to me, so thanks again and all my respect.