Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Cybook shuts down when I try to read a pdf

Hi all,

As the title says... my Cybook Gen 3 refuses to read most PDF files. It just shuts down. I did manage to read a few though, the ones that came with the Cybook and a few that I downloaded (I think).

This was annoying but not a huge problem until now, but I just found out that a book I'd like to buy on BoB is not available in mobipocket format. I was a bit worried about buying the book and not being able to read it, so I downloaded a free sample pdf from Books on Board, and I can't read it.

Is this a known problem? How can I know which PDFs I will be able to read, and which ones to avoid? Or even better, can I solve the problem somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help
Florence
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Hi all,

As the title says... my Cybook Gen 3 refuses to read most PDF files. It just shuts down. I did manage to read a few though, the ones that came with the Cybook and a few that I downloaded (I think).

This was annoying but not a huge problem until now, but I just found out that a book I'd like to buy on BoB is not available in mobipocket format. I was a bit worried about buying the book and not being able to read it, so I downloaded a free sample pdf from Books on Board, and I can't read it.

Is this a known problem? How can I know which PDFs I will be able to read, and which ones to avoid? Or even better, can I solve the problem somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help
Florence
You'll need to make sure that the PDF doesn't have any kind of DRM if you want to read it on the Cybook. If it still chokes and causes issues, you can run the file through mobipocket creator to change it to .mobi format, which the Cybook should be fine on.

I will say if the book is only available on BoB in pdf, it probably *does* have DRM and won't be able to be converted.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! I doubt that any of the PDFs I tried had DRM though. They were all from copyright free books, including the one I downloaded from BoB, but maybe that one had DRM anyway, who knows.

Anyway that's good to know, and it means I shouldn't buy that book I had in mind, because it probably HAS DRM.

I don't have mobipocket creator, I'm on a Mac
Old 08-16-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Yes, it is a known problem. I believe the PDFs that are more likely to cause problems are those with fancy stuff: lots of graphics, high-resolution pictures and different fonts. The PDFs I create are mostly text and the illustrations are low-resolution (but enough for the Cybook screen), and these tend to work fine.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Thank you Jellby. That's too bad because there are a lot of PDFs available, and even those I can read are often in A4 format and practically unusable on the Cybook. Oh well
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Missing fonts could be a problem aswell. If the fonts are nut included in the PDF, the CyBook just doesnt know, what to do with it.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Ah, I see...thank you!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Here is additional info for Mac users like me. I am visiting my parents for the week-ed, and it looks like PDFs generated on my Dad's Mac, which has the latest Mac OS, are readable on the eBook. I have an older Mac OS and the PDFs it generates are unreadable. Time to upgrade I guess

Tags
pdf cybook shutdown