Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
jcpj_ca
Edge User

I have checked and I am participating in the Ermine Beta. I did not have to do an update during the setup process after turning on the device. I am assuming that the initial setup process includes the registration of the device. I have a customer number and my account info shows that I have a black edge. Did i miss anything?

I have run update twice now. Each time the notification bar has told me that I have an update to install. This is after it took 2 hours to download the update over wireless.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #17
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpj_ca View Post
I have checked and I am participating in the Ermine Beta. I did not have to do an update during the setup process after turning on the device. I am assuming that the initial setup process includes the registration of the device. I have a customer number and my account info shows that I have a black edge. Did i miss anything?

I have run update twice now. Each time the notification bar has told me that I have an update to install. This is after it took 2 hours to download the update over wireless.
2 hours to download the Ermine beta is entirely too long and most likely means the file got corrupted during the download process. I'm guessing that with the overwhelming number of new Woot PE owners the Entourage servers are running on empty. You might want to try the update later at night or early in the morning because ideally it should only take about 15 minutes max. Don't give up because many owners have reported having to try multiple times to get a good download. Check this out: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...date-Downgrade

Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
tbomachines
Edge User

Hi there...I'm one of the aforementioned wooters excited to get 2.2 on my PE. I've tried about 10 times to download the upgrade, it does download to 100% and stops. It does this in a couple minutes (I have a great connection), but after that it just keeps telling me that a system update is available with the underlined downward arrow at the top left. Does this mean it has downloaded successfully and is stuck before actually installing or is the download corrupt and I keep trying? Sorry if its a bit of a redundant question in this thread, I've already gone through this one and the one you linked above and didn't find anything specific to my issue other than "stops at step 8"

Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
tbomachines
Edge User

Never mind...for some reason it wouldn't let me drag down the notification icon, I had to go through the alternate method of hitting the menu button and hitting notifications. No idea why that wouldn't work but its updating now...keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
jcpj_ca
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
2 hours to download the Ermine beta is entirely too long and most likely means the file got corrupted during the download process. I'm guessing that with the overwhelming number of new Woot PE owners the Entourage servers are running on empty. You might want to try the update later at night or early in the morning because ideally it should only take about 15 minutes max. Don't give up because many owners have reported having to try multiple times to get a good download. Check this out: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...date-Downgrade
Thanks for the advice it was just what I needed. I took the eDGe home and after a small glitch getting it to connect to my home wireless I started the upgrade app. On the second download it worked. Both downloads took about 10 minutes. The first booted back to Dingo 1.6. I immediately saw the difference in the second download.

Both were initiated from the notification bar but on the second install attempt I was presented with a screen very much like the initial startup screen when it first came out of the box. The screen looked like a large window frame with a horizontal bar through the middle. There were no other issues. FINALLY SUCCESS!!!.

Advice to all if you are waiting more than 15 minutes for the download to finish, shut the device down and try later in the day. My experience is that evenings are best. I got my about 7PM PST.

Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #21
spleendamage
Edge User

@obsessed2
Just wanted to thank you for this guide. I just came home today to my shiny new Edge in the mail and your guide made the upgrade process easy.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
tsemple
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
Never mind...for some reason it wouldn't let me drag down the notification icon, I had to go through the alternate method of hitting the menu button and hitting notifications. No idea why that wouldn't work but its updating now...keeping my fingers crossed...
Same here, couldn't drag down the notification panel, or rather I could drag it down but it would not stay down and let me select the update item. Also, it did not update Dingo first - just went straight to Ermine.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsemple View Post
Same here, couldn't drag down the notification panel, or rather I could drag it down but it would not stay down and let me select the update item. Also, it did not update Dingo first - just went straight to Ermine.
I think I mentioned that the PE might force you to download a Dingo update if you received an earlier production model. Some of the newer PEs may have already shipped with the latest version of Dingo which might explain why the update went straight to Ermine. Enjoy your new PE.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
gbmillett
Edge User

Worked!

I got the Woot Pocket Edge Friday 5/13 late.

Up and running with Ermine thanks to obsessed's well dockumented thread.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #25
bobmutch
Edge User

Got my Woot PE! Only one day late. Now I'm in setup mode.

Oddly enough, I went to entouragedge.com/customer/account/, then registered, but still can't see the red ermine link. Hmmm... There was an update option in the Apps drawer, which is tooling away now. I assume it's just the Dingo update, but we'll see.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #26
bobmutch
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmutch View Post
Got my Woot PE! Only one day late. Now I'm in setup mode.

Oddly enough, I went to entouragedge.com/customer/account/, then registered, but still can't see the red ermine link. Hmmm... There was an update option in the Apps drawer, which is tooling away now. I assume it's just the Dingo update, but we'll see.
Whoops... Nevermind. It was a registration issue. People like me, who pre-register on forums, and have 8 valid email addresses at any one time, are just asking for trouble.

Ermine doin' it's thing now, and will check back after we're all up and running.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #27
richard443@gmail.com
Edge User

Trials and Tribulations of a newbie

1. I'm a newbie. Bought my device from Woot!.
2. Maticuously followed the directions as provided at the start of this thread. Would never have gotten Ermine loaded with out them. Have the usual story of trying over and over and over.
3. I started playing around to find out what I might of missed.
a. Changed wi-fi sleep setting to "Never with power plugged in" from "Never sleep".
b. After reading about other problems others have had went to the main menu on the tablet side and dragged the top bar (not written with correct names) line to the bottom of the tablet where the contents remained open. Within the contents was a line with "No Service" with a button reading "Clear". Clicked it and "Download Available" displayed.
c. Clicked "Yes" to initiate down load (not sure what I clicked but it is straight forward when you do it. The tablet side displayed Downloading (not sure if this is correct).
d. After downloading is completing the reader side of pocket edge provides installing information and the tablet size shows the installing via dots being illuminated. When the forth dot is illuminated a new screen appears on the tablet.
e. The new screen shows a green arrow, which points to the right and contains an unlocked padlock.
f. Drag the green arrow all the way to the right and the screen unlocks and the main menu on the tablet appears.
g. Check settings/about edge/Legal information and under build number see if ermine is there. For me it was.
4. To conclude, from 3b above, there might be an answer to remedy the countless downloads.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #28
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard443@gmail.com View Post
1. I'm a newbie. Bought my device from Woot!.
2. Maticuously followed the directions as provided at the start of this thread. Would never have gotten Ermine loaded with out them. Have the usual story of trying over and over and over.
3. I started playing around to find out what I might of missed.
a. Changed wi-fi sleep setting to "Never with power plugged in" from "Never sleep".
b. After reading about other problems others have had went to the main menu on the tablet side and dragged the top bar (not written with correct names) line to the bottom of the tablet where the contents remained open. Within the contents was a line with "No Service" with a button reading "Clear". Clicked it and "Download Available" displayed.
c. Clicked "Yes" to initiate down load (not sure what I clicked but it is straight forward when you do it. The tablet side displayed Downloading (not sure if this is correct).
d. After downloading is completing the reader side of pocket edge provides installing information and the tablet size shows the installing via dots being illuminated. When the forth dot is illuminated a new screen appears on the tablet.
e. The new screen shows a green arrow, which points to the right and contains an unlocked padlock.
f. Drag the green arrow all the way to the right and the screen unlocks and the main menu on the tablet appears.
g. Check settings/about edge/Legal information and under build number see if ermine is there. For me it was.
4. To conclude, from 3b above, there might be an answer to remedy the countless downloads.
Glad to hear you were able to get Ermine installed. I think the over and over problem right now is more of a server overload problem with Entourage. I was able to update both PEs I bought last month within 30 minutes each without having to try multiple downloads. The top bar you describe in step 3b is the Notification Bar. You will see notices on it often when using your PE. Clearing existing notifications should have no no affect on any other notifications. No Service indicates that either your Wi-Fi connection to the PE may have been momentarily interrupted or the connection to the Entourage server was interrupted (most likely). The green unlock swipe bar is the first good indication that Ermine is installed as well as the Edge data you cited.

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #29
Bonnie108
Edge User

I followed you all the way to "look for the Red message on the top of the page (ERMINE is here) ". I didn't see a red message box. Has it been removed?
Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I am aware that posts should not be repeated within this forum but I feel this bears starting a new thread. Reason being is before I actually received my Pocket Edge I searched this website for a one stop solution to upgrade the PE to Ermine. Nothing I am saying here is new, but a consolidation of the corporate knowledge I learned from this forum. I hope it will be useful for Pocket Edge owners who are wondering exactly how to upgrade their device which is hassle free. I completed the upgrade on two separate PEs with absolutely no problems.

After you complete the upgrade, I recommend you take a look at the resource guide I put together which will help you get the most out of your Pocket Edge in the least amount of time. It has some of the best threads I found from this forum as well as Apps that can be accessed directly with and downloaded to your Pocket Edge.

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...et-Edge-Owners

New Users Start Here:

1. During the registration process the PE will probably force you to download the Dingo update. It can installed manually be pressing, holding, and pulling down the Download notification in the top left corner and pressing the Update.

2. After the Dingo update you can finish the registration process.

After you have a Registered and Dingo Upgraded system please BACK UP YOUR FILES and proceed as follows:

READ AND HEED THIS BEFORE proceeding with the Ermine beta upgrade:
https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263

3. Disable the Screen Timeout. You can Enable it after the update downloads and installs. Here is a trick to set the screen to never timeout. Press and hold the color screen. (Touch in between icons. ) This brings up the desktop menu. Choose “Widgets from that menu. Choose “Power Control from the list of widgets. The power control widget will show up on your desktop. Touch the light bulb button to toggle the indicator to green. Your LCD screen will no longer time out. I actually tried to see what would happen if the Screen Timeout was set to 5 minutes on my second PE and here are my findings: The Screen WILL timeout during the upgrade download. DO NOT panic. Just press the Menu button to unlock the PE and the Downloading Update screen will reappear. For the faint at heart I recommend momentarily disabling the screen timeout.

4. Set the Wi-Fi to Never Turn Off. Again, you can reset this after the update downloads and installs. Open Settings and select Network Control. Select Wi-Fi Settings. Press the Menu button. While I only had to press this once during my PE setup but I had to do press it TWICE when setting up my son's PE. A two-button menu will pop-up. Press Advanced. Press Wi-Fi Sleep Policy. Select either Never or Never when plugged in.

5. Log In into the Entourage account by going to https://www.entourageedge.com/customer/account/

6. Once on the Entourage website look for the Red message on the top of the page (ERMINE is here) to Opt into the beta. You will receive the following message: Your device has now been marked for upgrade. You can manually launch the "update" on your application device.

7. Return to the Home screen and select The App Launcher (Touch or Slide the BIG X) and choose Update.

Heed the Warning: *** PLEASE SAVE ALL WORK BEFORE PROCEEDING ***

8. The update will begin to download and takes roughly 12-13 minutes on DSL.

9. The update install takes approximately 5 minutes. BE PATIENT AND MONITOR THE ENTIRE PROCESS. You will see a tiny icon flashing in the right hand corner, the Updating software message will continue to count up from 0 to 3 dots, and you will see Progress bar movement (unfortunately it doesn't display a percentage). After the update I got the Pocket Edge load up screen.

10. Once the install completes you should be treated to the opening Unlock Screen, a Start Up sound, and the Time. Ermine installed for me TWICE without a hitch or single problem.

11. Once you Unlock the PE and go to the Desktop, go to Settings and select About Edge. You should see: Model number: edgejr; Android version: 2.2.1; Build number: ERMINE- 0.9

12. After the upgrade I returned my Screen Timeout to 2 minutes and the Wi-Fi to turn off with the Screen Timeout.

So now Ermine was installed and I setup E-mail (using the default K-9 E-mail program) on the PE using my son's Gmail account and it was absolutely painless. On my second PE I set up a link to my Verizon E-mail account and it was absolutely painless as well.

After that I wanted to download and try out a few Apps other than those already installed on the PE by default. First stop: Amazon App Store for Android. You DO NOT need an Amazon account to download the Android App however, you WILL need one to USE the Android store. Trust Me You Want To Setup an Account on Amazon. Free of charge, no strings attached, no SPAM. I have been doing business with Amazon for 3 years and they are OUTSANDING in every respect. The Android Store has many free Apps including a Free App of the Day which is normally a paid App. http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?...ode=2350149011

On the right hand side of the page you will see Get Started. Enter you E-mail account (you should set this up on the PE before coming here). You will see A Quick start Guide which will help you with installing the App. You will receive an E-mail on the PE which you will contain a link to download the App and DETAILED installation instructions. Once you touch the download link you will receive a notification of the download in the top left corner of the PE. Drag the screen down and press the App to install it. I had no problem downloading (takes like 5 seconds) and installing the Store App and in minutes I was was able to download, install, and run a few free programs with no problem.

Many on this Forum have posted that certain Apps will not work with Android 2.2.1 and I have my own theory about these programs. I am a PC tech by trade (my first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I which used a cassette player to save and retrieve data) and have several industry certifications including CompTIA A+. I have a couple of programs that I love that will run in Windows XP (yes I still own an XP machine) that flat out REFUSE to run in Windows Vista (yes I still own a Vista machine, and a Windows 7 machine) even in Compatibility Mode. The compatibility issues were recognized by Microsoft and they offer a Windows XP emulator for Windows 7 for that very reason. My theory is like Windows some Apps programmed in Android 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, or 2.1 MAY refuse to run in the latest version of Android (which for the for the PE is 2.2.1 or Froyo). Software developers have reported difficulty maintaining application compatibility across multiple versions of Android. This is the nature of EVERY evolving Operating Systems. If all the older programs worked with every OS version there would never be a need for new programs. This will NEVER happen.

NO problems with hibernation either. My son hibernated his PE at least four times (once for a couple of hours) and each and every time the e-Ink side displayed Press the Menu Button on to Resume operation and it worked fine every time.

I am not experiencing the green tint when taking pictures that others have reported. I do see two versions of the Camera App and Version 1 appears to be the one being used based on storage statistics. I'm assuming this is the original Camera App.

The default browser and E-mail work fantastic with NO lockups or crashes to report. Used the browser extensively after upgrading. The You Tube App works flawlessly.

I decided to install a 8GB microSDHC card ($20 at Walmart) and moved My Library to the SD card to save on system memory for Apps.

Overall the Ermine upgrade experience on a brand new PE with nothing else installed except Dingo 1.11 was very pleasant. The PE is extremely responsive on both the LCD and E-Ink sides. For those PE owners sitting on the fence on whether to upgrade or not to I say GO FOR IT. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

For those interested here is the Android 2.2.1 User Guide: http://static.googleusercontent.com/...UsersGuide.pdf

I want to personally thank each and every forum user for the wealth of knowledge they have provided on this Forum for myself and all new PE users. I value your feedback and advice and I know I will continue to learn from you each and every day.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #30
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie108 View Post
I followed you all the way to "look for the Red message on the top of the page (ERMINE is here) ". I didn't see a red message box. Has it been removed?
Bonnie
Launch the Store App from the Home Screen on your PE. Select My Account and the message should be at the top of the page. If it isn't, please log on to the Entourage site using a PC (www.entourageedge.com) and make sure your device is listed under My Account. The Entourage servers have been working overtime so you need to ensure your PE is showing up in their system.

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-16-2011 at 12:24 PM.