Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #61
JL6161
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maspears View Post
today the price has fallen even lower, $199.95 new from third party. Question? Why would anyone pay more for a used PE or EE when a new one is cheaper? third party had used priced about $50.00 more.
I'm not sure, but although I ordered one of the $199.95 PEs from WorldWide Dist. on Amazon, I'm not counting on actually receiving one until it arrives. The "in stock" numbers displayed for some Amazon shops are often totally inaccurate (as are the "available/in stock" displays for a lot of other online retailers). They may have taken 60 orders and collected 60 x $199.95 but only have 5 PEs actually on hand for all I know. So they automatically generate 60 UPS tracking numbers, which then sit there for several days with no shipping action, and finally they say, "oops, out of stock, order cancelled" and issue refunds.

Or it could be the other way around -- they bought 100 PEs cheap from a distributor and display "8 in stock" because that generates more "I'd better get one right now" ordering. Either way, I'm not letting my hopes get too elevated.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #62
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL6161 View Post
I'm not sure, but although I ordered one of the $199.95 PEs from WorldWide Dist. on Amazon, I'm not counting on actually receiving one until it arrives. The "in stock" numbers displayed for some Amazon shops are often totally inaccurate (as are the "available/in stock" displays for a lot of other online retailers). They may have taken 60 orders and collected 60 x $199.95 but only have 5 PEs actually on hand for all I know. So they automatically generate 60 UPS tracking numbers, which then sit there for several days with no shipping action, and finally they say, "oops, out of stock, order cancelled" and issue refunds.

Or it could be the other way around -- they bought 100 PEs cheap from a distributor and display "8 in stock" because that generates more "I'd better get one right now" ordering. Either way, I'm not letting my hopes get too elevated.
Did you get a shipping notice yet? I ordered on Thursday afternoon, and received a "shipped" notice on Thursday evening. I tend to think your second thought - that they're creating an artificial scarcity - is closer to the truth, since the "8 New In Stock" message has been up at least the last two days.

Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #63
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

Amazon Marketplace sellers don't get paid until at least 30 days after the sale; that way if a customer complains to Amazon about problems with the product they receive, they can just refund the customer's money and refuse to pay the seller. Not sure how it works with "distribution partners" like this, but Amazon still has an "A-Z guarantee" on such items, so it's likely they do the same thing.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #64
JL6161
Edge User

I ordered on Thursday afternoon and received a tracking number Thu pm, and Amazon shows the order status as shipped and in transit. But when I track it on UPS, it says only that the shipping label has been generated -- no entry yet for being picked up or moved anywhere. I've had UPS orders show up before that never displayed any tracking progress (the screen showed the item as still in New Jersey when I was holding it). Sometimes it's an out-of-stock item that never ships despite having a label printed. All will become clear in the fullness of time.

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't worry about losing the cash -- this seller does a LOT of business on Amazon, most of it to rave reviews (and most of the complaints are about UPS-related issues), so they're not going skip town with anybody's 200 bucks.

Last edited by JL6161; 04-09-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #65
paula-t
Edge User

Opulence I has it... I like the best. But I also like savings the money. So when Amazon tell me Pockit Edge I can has at 199.95, with the Ermine packige, I jump at it. One big Edge for me, and one Pockit Edge for Giraffe. No pain, no pain. With my American epic win accent and fake phone number, I buy no limits and cheats everyones.

Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #66
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiposius Maximus View Post
The PE is a far superior product to what the EEE Note is likely to be. 7" LCD touchscreen + 7" eink + Android + 5 months on the market > 8" grayscale LCD + stylus input only + unknown OS + new to the market

Of course I got my second 10" EE for less than that on eBay during the depths of communal despair last month.
I note in your signature you say EE running 2.2 rooted. Really? How?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #67
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

That was a screwup...originally that was the Nook's line in my sig.

The blue eDGe was formerly rooted, but we don't talk about that in polite company.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #68
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiposius Maximus View Post
That was a screwup...originally that was the Nook's line in my sig.

The blue eDGe was formerly rooted, but we don't talk about that in polite company.
Apologies!
: )

Old 04-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #69
obsessed2
Edge User

Seems the sudden urge in Pocket Edge sales might be forcing the price back up. A couple of days ago I was checking out a website (www.nextdaypc.com) and they listed 96 PEs in stock at $229. Today when I checked the price is $246.16. Still, this is more good information for people like myself who "purchased" one of the $199 units from the Amazon Marketplace. I know we all got the automated UPS shipping info but maybe Worldwide Distributors may have sufficient quantities to meet all sales.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #70
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL6161 View Post
I ordered on Thursday afternoon and received a tracking number Thu pm, and Amazon shows the order status as shipped and in transit. But when I track it on UPS, it says only that the shipping label has been generated -- no entry yet for being picked up or moved anywhere. I've had UPS orders show up before that never displayed any tracking progress (the screen showed the item as still in New Jersey when I was holding it). Sometimes it's an out-of-stock item that never ships despite having a label printed. All will become clear in the fullness of time.

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't worry about losing the cash -- this seller does a LOT of business on Amazon, most of it to rave reviews (and most of the complaints are about UPS-related issues), so they're not going skip town with anybody's 200 bucks.
I've finally seen a change in the generic shipping notification - It's now listed as having left California this evening, with expected delivery "By End of Day" on Friday, 4/15 (original "guaranteed, date-scheduled" date was 4/13). So, fingers crossed...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #71
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
I've finally seen a change in the generic shipping notification - It's now listed as having left California this evening, with expected delivery "By End of Day" on Friday, 4/15 (original "guaranteed, date-scheduled" date was 4/13). So, fingers crossed...
Yes this is good news. I ordered one of these $199 PEs also and UPS shows a departure scan from Van Nuys, CA which means the shipment has left that UPS facility and is on its way to the next UPS facility. I have a quick question that I know one of the regulars on this post can answer. Can I upgrade to Ermine immediately and bypass the Dingo updates or should they be installed first?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #72
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Can I upgrade to Ermine immediately and bypass the Dingo updates or should they be installed first?
I believe you can go straight to Ermine.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #73
JL6161
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Can I upgrade to Ermine immediately and bypass the Dingo updates or should they be installed first?
My EE arrived with Dingo 1.6 on board, and I went straight to Ermine with no ill effects aside from the insignificant Ermine bugs everyone else has noticed.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #74
Eddy R
Edge User

PE ordered on 04/08. On my desk now charging. Am blown away by solid construction/feel.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #75
Eddy R
Edge User

Ermine auto load

While waiting for PE to charge Ermine autoloaded.
Had previously loaded Ermine to EE.