Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #181
gecko
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
more destructive than a rumor, because it leads to false hope.
From Aeschylus Prometheus Bound:

PROMETHEUS: I caused mortals to cease foreseeing their doom.
CHORUS: Of what sort was the cure that you found for this affliction?
PROMETHEUS: I caused blind hopes to dwell within their breasts.
CHORUS: A great benefit was this you gave to mortals.
PROMETHEUS: In addition, I gave them fire.

So, don't sneer at false hope; it was a greater gift than fire. (I can think of greater gifts, though. The salad spinner, for example.)

Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #182
alex_edge
Edge User

I do really love my salad spinner. But I think my coffee maker is by far the greater gift. And my PE of course.

Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #183
guyjack
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_edge View Post
I do really love my salad spinner. But I think my coffee maker is by far the greater gift. And my PE of course.
My Segway, when it arrives, will replace my power wheelchair and thus will be my greatest gift...and my EE, as well!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #184
fgruber
Edge User

Well it is March 31...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrondos View Post
I think I have it on good authority that we are going to see the Android 2.2 update for our eDGes before March 31. I'm not just talking about a rumor . . . but I think I can wait that long. And then I'll be wondering when we'll see the Android 3 upgrade.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #185
JBrondos
Edge User

Guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Well it is March 31...
Yes, rub it in Gruber. That's why I deleted the "on good authority" post soon after I had entered it.

Now, if the update doesn't become available in a few hours, then I get forever branded as being not only gullible, but liable for raising the false hopes of my fellow hapless enTourage eDGe owners.

Just let me have my Charlie Brown moment, "Good grief."

And April Fool's Day doesn't officially arrive until tomorrow.

Last edited by JBrondos; 03-31-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #186
borisb
Edge User

Don't feel (too) bad The whole forum was misled by bmoc that the update would come at the end of February or by mid March at the latest...

Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #187
JBrondos
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
From Aeschylus Prometheus Bound:
Entries which quote Aeschylus and the other one I saw regarding the plural of "dominatrixes" as "dominatrices" (cluing us in that some people know their Latin cognates) makes it pretty clear that the enTourage eDGe Forums have a better class of members than average ordinary forums . . .

Last edited by JBrondos; 03-31-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #188
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Don't feel (too) bad The whole forum was misled by bmoc that the update would come at the end of February or by mid March at the latest...
In my opinion the statement by bmoc is not the problem. The problem is that nothing has been said since then to clarify what is going on.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #189
gecko
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrondos View Post
Entries which quote Aeschylus and the other one I saw regarding the plural of "dominatrixes" as "dominatrices" (cluing us in that some people know their Latin cognates) makes it pretty clear that the enTourage eDGe Forums have a better class of members than average ordinary forums . . .
Oh, that's a gecko thing: geckos will enhance any forum, and pretty much any decor, as well, except for maybe Hipster Retro-Ironic which is pretty much hopeless.

I read in a book that "Geckos are the intellectuals of the reptile world," but reptiles in general are pretty cool (that is the nature of ectotherms). As for birds, well, see for yourself:

http://xkcd.com/867/

Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #190
JBrondos
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Well it is March 31...
WHEW! Still, I'll never post "predictions" like that again.