Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
robot
Edge User

Jcase words simply mean that at the time when 2.2 will be released on eDGe, Google will release 3.0 (google will release new version every 4-6month)

Snow, http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/c...oth-d2-dx.html e.t.c.

BNA, how's your progress?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
borisb
Edge User

If you're a Sony-Ericsson Xperia owner, you have to wait to late October - for Android 2.1! http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/s...amily-back-to/.

I doubt we'll see any Android 3.0 rollouts until March by any of the large cell phone companies, or on tablets (there might be a couple, but most will be on 2.2 until the spring).

Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
emen
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
I do have a cheap chinese tablet 7 inches which has 2.2 android with flash. and working fine. why would it not be supported by edge?
What model? I couldn't fine any with the 2.2. version.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #19
MichaelV
Edge User

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-TFT-Tablet-A...item3f02c83588

Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
NJReader
Edge User

To Whom is in the know... Any news on the next software update (like Android 2.2) for the EE? It is now mid November, and "Fall of 2010" is almost over.

Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
borisb
Edge User

Check out http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...nt-about-Froyo.

dontpanic, an enTourage employee, indicates there have been performance issues with Android 2.2 on the full sized eDGe, requiring extra time to optimize it, although this seems to be progressing well. The Pocket eDGe, being a smaller screen apparently runs Froyo better. No specifics were given other than that they won't make the "Fall of 2010" timeframe and that the Pocket eDGe likely will get the upgrade before the full-sized eDGe.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
NJReader
Edge User

Thanks boris,

I just found this thread before you posted.

It does annoy me that the company has decided that the Pocket Edge, a secondary product, is going to get their full attention.

However, none of the posts by dontpanic come out and definitively say that the full-sized edge is going to get the Android 2.2 update and where they stand in its release (one month, two months, spring 2011, etc.).
The annoucement of the indefinite delay of Froyo for the full-sized eDGee has given me doubts on whether I did the right thing by spending several months of overtime on a luxury item that has no future. When the money could have been better spent on a more powerful laptop or netbook.
The compliments I receive from others on its uniqueness are not going to keep those doubts away for long, before I sell it on eBay and buy another product.
I bought the enTourage eDGe over a similarly equipped iPad BECAUSE of the "future releases" that offered so much over the iPad. However, were these statements just made to lure wary consumers into purchasing their product, or is enTourage genuinely interested in seeing the full-sized eDGE become the amazing tool they advertised it would be?

<P.S. I also copied this over to the Froyo thread.>

Old 11-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
alefor
Edge User

If I just add my 2-cents worth, I think that the comparison between the eDGe and the iPad must be made very carefully. I own both devices, and mentioning them both in the same sentence is not quite appropriate in my opinion. They are quite different as I see it. It really depends what you want to do. The issue of software updates is also interesting to contemplate. I think that Apple does a better job with updates than just about anything else out there. You can update it yourself, easily and seemlessly. This was a major factor in my getting rid of Windows Mobile phones where the updates were left to the carriers who have no interest in helping you upgrade (I have no idea what they will do with Win Mobile 7 which just came out). Similarly, because of the large amount of eDGe specific software attached to Android, we cant just update Android, we have to wait for Entourage to give it to us. The downside of the Apple model is that in order to benefit from their simple (and until now at least, free) upgrade process, you have to "buy into" the whole Apple ecosystem including iTunes, their hardware and their software. Well, these are just my musings. I hope you can figure out what device is best for you.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #24
Spock
Edge User

Dear Alefor,
I found your contribution to be both insightful and informative, relative to the differences between Apple and enTourage and their updating/upgrade protocols.
I believe the "uniqueness" of the enTourage, the relative "newness" in the recent evolution of the "pad" platform in general, apart from the "tablet" platform, has yet to fully establish "universal" protocols that singularly "benefits" the device(s) "owner(s)/user(s)" as opposed to the corporate entities "interests" who make them available to us.
I would say, however, that the wide-ranging availability of Android-applicable APPS gives the enTourage "owner/user" applications (programs/usage) akin to upgrades/ "updates" / software that is in a constant flux of release we have the "immediacy" of access to.
I guess it comes down to "perception IS one's reality."
I believe I have strategized a number of uses for this most excellent enTourage eDGe device, even as additional uses are evolving, given the plethora of interests I am immersed in.
I did, however, want to acknowledge your "musings" as being quite interesting, succinct and germain to many others acquiring these devices.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
kenjennings
Edge User

Winter doesn't start until Dec 21, so we still have more than a whole month until Fall is over.

I think entourage should add a day to the release date for every time someone asks them when it will be released. ;-)

Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #26
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Winter doesn't start until Dec 21, so we still have more than a whole month until Fall is over.

I think entourage should add a day to the release date for every time someone asks them when it will be released. ;-)
LOL I wouldn't disagree.

As an example of this same issue with a non-technical item, I've been waiting for Octovo to release their ereader light for the Kindle 3 ever since the Kindle 3 was released. At first they said it would be ready late September, then it was October, about 3 weeks ago I received an email saying it would be out "soon". Still no light. This is just the way things go. And all the new light entails is redesigning the clip and adjusting the angle of the light. No new programming with the accompanying debugging necessary.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #27
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post

Right, they should show their paying customers who's boss. Whose side are you on anyway?

Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #28
mrspaceman
Edge User

XDA-Developers forums has some good info on rolling your own ROM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Old 11-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #29
thegreenarrow
Edge User

I completely disagree with those people on this thread who feel this time frame is reasonable. As far as the android community goes, individual devs have been able to push out their own roms a few months after the development tools for that kernel have been released. I received one of these for free for app development, and I've been waiting patiently since august for the froyo update. At this point, I don't expect to see an update for this device.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #30
thegreenarrow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
XDA-Developers forums has some good info on rolling your own ROM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/
Where have you seen this? I am a fairly active member over there, and haven't seen anything about our Edge.