Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #61
EmScape
Edge User

Oh, goody, I found the crosswords one, too. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just google it. :P In case anyone's interested it's at http://www.duckload.com/download/CAQW2 ....and it works!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #62
netrobot
Edge User

** THIS PROCESS IS NOW WORKING ALL THE WAY ** (and this time, I mean it!)
Step-by-step instructions for use INSIDE the SDK:
When installing the SDK, you'll either need or be prompted to install the Java SDK.
Then go to this site and MAKE SURE you include the FOUR things listed:
http://www.blogsdna.com/10400/androi...d-mac-os-x.htm

With all the SDK packages updated I see:
Virtual devices
Installed packages
Available packages
Settings
About

I click on "Virtual devices".
This bring up a dialog box prompting for the name for my AVD -- I entered "16em" (without the quotes).
My "Target:" is Android 1.6 - API Level 4
Under "SD Card" (the default), use 2000 (for 2000MB). (I tried the File option but I could not get that to work.)
Then click on Ok.
Copying "system.img" (this one: http://www.4shared.com/file/16562474...ed/system.html) to the right place is a little tricky because the folder tree
"C:\Documents and Settings\{Your Directory}\.android\avd\{Your AVD name}.avd\"
is NOT accessible if you start at "My Documents" (or whatever your Windows version calls it). You MUST navigate to it starting at the ROOT (C:\). Also, if you downloaded or unzipped system.img to someplace on the C: drive and you drag and drop it to the target folder, it will MOVE it there, so you're only copy will be there.

When you re-run the SDK, it reconfirms all the modules, then prompts you to accept and download everything again. Cancel out of that -- you've got all you need.
Click on "Virtual devices", select the one you built, check "wipe user data" (only the first time), then "start" (and wait. this is a good time to read a book on your eInk display!)
When the emulator runs, it'll prompt you for your Google account (create, sign in etc.) If you choose to do any of that, you'll be prompted to slide the keyboard open, and there is no way you can do that, so select SKIP!
When the app menu comes up, run the Market app. You'll be prompted to sign in with your Google account, but this time, you'll have username and password fields to do it in.

Inside the emulator, here are some keyboard commands to use:
[menu] F2 or Pg-Up should be the PC keyboard equivalent of [menu]! see http://developer.android.com/guide/d.../emulator.html for more details on the emulator, see Emulator Keyboard Mapping

Now the reason the instructions suggested installing file manager and synch programs like dropbox is that anything you "install" to your emulator-based Droid isn't in a regular file or folder (like Download) -- it's buried in the file: userdata-qemu.img. The only way to get those .apk files OUT of your emulator and INTO your PE is to copy or synch them out from WITHIN the emulator! The emulator environment does not have a file manager so you have to add that. The free Astro File Manager has the feature that allows you to "backup" which re-creates .apk files from installed apps. (remember to NOT "wipe user data" the next time you run your emulator.)
After you download (install) apps. using Market, your keyboard's Home key gets you back to the main menu.
If you're already a DropBox user, I recommend creating a NEW account anyway and sharing a folder with your emulator-connected account. That way, you can decide what DropBox content you have synched with your actual eDGE, and you don't automatically get all your DropBox files. If you later (or already) share folders with friends, you won't get their stuff on your eDGe!
So, the procedure is:
Run emulator (don't wipe user data)
go to Market
Install free non-DRM (digital rights management) applications
Return to main menu (still in emulator)
Run Astro File Manager
[menu] Tools
Application Manager/Backup (this produces a list of installed apps.)
down-arrow to each app. you want to "backup" (make an .apk file for) and check the box at right (green check mark)
Then click on the Backup button.
The ESC key is the "back button" -- hit it. This gets you out of Application Manager/Backup
Find SDCARD, go into that folder
Then "Backups", and "apps"
Inside the Apps folder, you'll find the .apk files you backed up.
By doing a left-click & hold, you should see a dialog box that offers you the option to Send.
Choose send, then choose Dropbox. You'll be prompted to select a folder in your Dropbox tree. The file(s) you had selected should be copied into the Dropbox folder.
If the send to DropBox doesn't work, don't panic, the emulator probably lost connectivity to the network stack in the host PC. Reboot the emulator and try again.
Then on your PC or PE, synch the files with Dropbox and run them, copy with a thumb drive or whatever.
If you get "parse error" when trying to install the app(s) on the PE, give a shout here, and we'll try to work through it -- that's the problem I spent two days overcoming.
I hope this fills in some blanks.

**Don't bother trying to use Astro's SMB or ES File Explorer's LAN function -- the IP address of your emulated Droid is 10.1.x.x and your PC is totally NOT on that network -- the emulator can't read/write your PC's USB0 either which is really lame. Just USE DROPBOX **

Last edited by netrobot; 05-18-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Finally got it working

Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #63
T-virus
Edge User

Hey guys, now we have 2.2, how about enable market on simulator with 2.2?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #64
netrobot
Edge User

I tried the 2.2 emulator. There simply isn't enough Valium on Earth to make the ssssssllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww seem reasonable!!!! We're talkin' Click a button... read a book, click a button, change your oil!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #65
Kewlcat
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrobot View Post
I tried the 2.2 emulator. There simply isn't enough Valium on Earth to make the ssssssllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww seem reasonable!!!! We're talkin' Click a button... read a book, click a button, change your oil!
LOL!!

Thanks for your detailed post netrobot...will give it a shot tonight...
I am so sick of all these workarounds for good Android apps...

So let me see if I get it all right:
1. Android Market: only for PHONES with Android ( so EE & PE being tablets cant access them directly)
2. Amazon app market: only accessible for those within the US
3. Some markets like SlideMe & AndAppstore work reasonably albeit with a much smaller selection of apps.
4. Other markets like AppBrain offer downloads outside of the market, but ironically need access to the market to install their own app... (am I missing something here?)

SO the workaround is to get an Emulator on your PC/Mac...
1. Download the Android SDK with Java
2. Make the emulator as per netrobot's steps
3. Access Android market via the emulator ...also as per netrobot's steps
4. Use Astro File Manager, which helps to "grab" the .apk of the applications, so that you can transfer these to the PE or EE

Hope I got that right. Feel free to correct me if not.

Also here is a useful video for installing the emulator (its for a different Android version, but between the video & netrobot's post, you should be fine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r3o2eBzyrs

Last edited by Kewlcat; 05-23-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #66
kennyminot
Edge User

This is an insane process. I have a much simpler method posted on the "eDGe development" forum, which requires you to have a rooted Android 2.2 device. You can find lots of useful information on this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1091658